No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favourite American camp story was on, I think, This American Life, where this woman was saying how her mother was a German immigrant and was aware of camp as an American institution but didn't really know exactly how it worked, so took her kids up into the mountains and left them there to fend for themselves for a week.
    For me, camp is basically daycare while school's out so I can go to work.

Comment

I thought that was going in a different direction

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

When was that 1990?

Comment

I think I see Pop-Pop, Dennis and Sweet Dee.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MackayIM/status/1261486707339218945

Comment

Jacinda Vs Misfortunata.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

There's an exhibit on Camp Siegfried: https://www.qcc.cuny.edu/khc/e-catalogs/camp-siegfried/

Ironically, Yaphank means "Valley of Peace."

Good article: https://lihj.cc.stonybrook.edu/2010/...onal-politics/

Books: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...api_tpbk_p1_i0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-05-2020, 09:40.

Comment

There's no mention of "behind closed doors" or even reduced capacities for the sports venues on that. It has the be the former, no?

Comment

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1261580396833226752

Comment

I do wonder why the media aren't reporting more on the fact that the government's medical advisors seem to as politically-minded as the government themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

Surely camp has to be nightcare too?

Comment

This is lies, damned lies, and statistics isn't it. If x thousand schools are open perhaps only 5% of them have a Covid positive child in them. The trouble is that there is a huge chance that that child will infect a lot of their classmates and teacher. So there is a low chance that there is infection at the school but a high chance that the virus spreads in those that do. She's not lying as such, merely being disgracefully selective with the truth

Comment

Eh, so we don't get details of many of the cases because tests are done by "commercial partners". Really? Fucking hell.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Campbell_/status/1261566937202638848

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

From a British perspective "camp" is rather a misnomer in the US, as there's rarely any actual camping. Here the term encompasses a much wider range of activities, I think the commonality is that they all involve kids being away from the parents in some sort of group setting that's not school, though maybe a real American can correct me if I've got that wrong.
                              For example, I could send my kids to half day camp - where they get dropped off to do some sort of activity (say pottery) in the morning and get picked up before lunch. Probably not this summer, though.

Comment

I do wonder why the media aren't reporting more on the fact that the government's medical advisors seem to as politically-minded as the government themselves.
                                The US medics, Fauci and Birx, actually seem more willing to occasionally go off-message in the public interest than these UK lickspittles.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 16-05-2020, 13:02.

Comment

I think the commonality is that they all involve kids being away from the parents in some sort of group setting that's not school, though maybe a real American can correct me if I've got that wrong.
                                  That's correct

"Day camps" in the Hudson Valley or Catskills, where the kids are picked up by a school bus and dropped back in the late afternoon, are quite popular in Manhattan, especially for younger kids. Many community organisations also run very low cost or free "camps" that rely primarily on teenage counselors taking their charges around the city to parks, museums and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Not necessarily. In normal circumstances my daughter's school runs a summer camp which is roughly the same length as the school day, but doesn't do any nightcare. I've never bothered yet because my son has been too young, but I was considering it for this summer (highly unlikely to be happening now).

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                      My favourite American camp story was on, I think, This American Life, where this woman was saying how her mother was a German immigrant and was aware of camp as an American institution but didn't really know exactly how it worked, so took her kids up into the mountains and left them there to fend for themselves for a week.
                                      A Colombian friend of mine once spent too much of the school year mucking about with his cousin instead of working, and they both got really bad grades. In response, at the beginning of the summer holidays his uncle drove them both to the family's remote off-grid, no running water mountain cabin and left them there with a sack of potatoes and a rifle. He only came back two months later. Part of their survival involved shooting and eating a vulture.

To be fair, my friend worked extremely hard in school every year after that.

Comment

There's no mention of "behind closed doors" or even reduced capacities for the sports venues on that. It has the be the former, no?
                                        Yes, "behind closed doors" at this point.

Comment

That Colombian story from Balders’ friend is difficult to credit without allowances for embellishment. Surely if literally true the boys’ survival chances would have been pretty low?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                            That Colombian story from Balders’ friend is difficult to credit without allowances for embellishment. Surely if literally true the boys’ survival chances would have been pretty low?
                                            I can't guarantee there was no embellishment, but I always considered it fairly credible. They were 11 or 12 years old and had already been taught how to hunt and cook. There was a well that they drew water from each day. The cabin had no heating, but it was summer and they had beds and bedding. They knew how to start and maintain a fire.

Comment

Perhaps it was one month instead of two. Perhaps there was some more food in the cabin. Who knows.

Comment

Kenya has over 800 confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Comment

So the whole "camp" thing is a lie? Wowzers.

Comment

How could this surprise you?

We established long ago that much of North American nomenclature is a lie in your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X