No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a beautiful day here and the park is much fuller than it appears from this photo (though most people are maintaining distance). Noticeably more masks today than even 36 hours ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
      Africa has more than 7,700 cases now. We can only hope that previous infection from malaria provides some sort of protection.
      I hope so.

Comment

There was a very depressing BBC news report last night from India.

Comment

I couldn't help but feel desperately sad out on my walk today. Three times I saw groups of teenagers sat really close to each other on benches or on the ground. 13 of them altogether, homogeneous groups of girls or boys so unlikely to be siblings.

That could be 13 different families seriously attempting to protect themselves at home and it could all be rendered futile by these selfish little twats.

I hate to judge. But jesus christ, the pure stupidity.

Comment

Just learnt of the first COVID death of someone I've met. The mum of a close friend (though we've drifted apart a bit and I've not spoken to her for a couple of years). Her mum was 69.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

You mentioned you had malaria. But you haven't had Coronavirus despite many people in your immediate circle being affected. Did any of them have malaria?

I saw some studies claiming (and I stress claiming) that people who had malaria might have increased immunity to coronavirus.
              Also being reported that countries where the BCG vaccine has been widespread have had fewer infections and deaths, though there appears to be little evidence of that from either Ireland or the UK so far.

Comment

Typical moment from Trump yesterday saying he'd been told to recommend wearing masks but making it abundantly clear that he thought them unnecessary.

Comment

Georgia reopened their beaches so people can "exercise".

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                    Also, if we're suspicious of Chinese figures, let's look at South Korea for comparison instead.

South Korea documented its first case of Covid-19 11 days before the UK. It has a population of about 51.5 million compared to 66.4 million for the UK.

The UK has had 3,605 deaths so far, with no sign of the death rate peaking yet, whereas South Korea has had only 177 deaths. In other words, we've had 20 times more deaths than South Korea despite having nearly two extra weeks to prepare.

Again, how can anyone look at those figures and think that we're doing "a great job"?
                    Yep. Europe twiddled its thumbs. Should have copied South Korea. "We don't have the tests" is bullshit. The expertise and industrial capacity exists in Europe. Complete and utter failure.

But then again, Europe fails most every winter to control the flu.
                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 04-04-2020, 20:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Any update on this? Oh, and by the way, what's the best / most serious website for SA news updates?
                      South Africa's government is increasing testing now, and the expectation even two weeks before the lockdown is to expuire is that there'll be an extension. Some concessions have been made as to the number of passengers allowed in minibus taxis, which carry essential service employees. Which makes whites very angry, because, y'know, they can't walk their dog.

Compliance in townships is patchy, which is a massive concern. And there has been overreach by security personnel (not helped by a police minister who looks like dictator from Central Casting) , which is an obvious problem. For SA news and analysis, I recommend the Daily Maverick.

All the while, the credit rating agencies Fitch and Moody's have downgraded loans to SA to "junk" status, which is really shitty timing at a time when the South African Rand had already lost something like 25% in value against the Dollar and Euro due to the crashing economy. Great timing, capitalist fucks. If the people responsible should catch ebola, I'll cheer for fucking ebola.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                        I couldn't help but feel desperately sad out on my walk today. Three times I saw groups of teenagers sat really close to each other on benches or on the ground. 13 of them altogether, homogeneous groups of girls or boys so unlikely to be siblings.

That could be 13 different families seriously attempting to protect themselves at home and it could all be rendered futile by these selfish little twats.

I hate to judge. But jesus christ, the pure stupidity.
                        They are teenage kids. Listening isn't exactly a strong suit at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          Typical moment from Trump yesterday saying he'd been told to recommend wearing masks but making it abundantly clear that he thought them unnecessary.
                          Any effort by Trump to resist any form of protection from the virus should be positively encouraged.

Comment

Morocco has more than 800 cases.

Comment

Trump trying to kill his own voters again

[URL]https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1246556322293841927[/URL]

Comment

Also killing lupus patients who need it

Comment

Does Trump (or his family/businesses) have an interest in this drug's production?

Comment

This is just astounding and terrifying (and completely par for the course for these press conferences recently) ;

[URL]https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1246553800716029952?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

You mentioned you had malaria. But you haven't had Coronavirus despite many people in your immediate circle being affected. Did any of them have malaria?

I saw some studies claiming (and I stress claiming) that people who had malaria might have increased immunity to coronavirus.
                                      My sister and her son have never had it. I assume her husband has had it as he lived In Nigeria until his late teens. My Mother has had it.
                                      Sub-Saharan Africa is probably the last major continent to have a large number of infections due to a lack of regular travellers from Asia (most of the first cases were actually Europeans).

I think it's way too early to make assumptions regarding Africans having a built in resistance or immunity as well as the effectiveness of Anti-malerials.
                                      I may be wrong, but I swear I took Cloroquinne when I first went to live in Nigeria in 1985. I stopped taking in a couple of months later as there were reports of strong side effects (I don't remember having any). I could be wrong though as it will be 35 years in August.
                                      Speaking of Africa, Corona virus and Medications, there is something i wish to get off my chest. I may post something on the white Supremacy thread (Hint, France).

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

146 more today, up to 1,112. Not great at all, but (as usual) can't tell if this is just more testing.

211 in hospital, 85 in ICU
                                        97 extra in San Diego County for 1209. Nice drop off. Possibly weekend under-reporting. 228 in hospital, but only 89 in ICU which is a very small increase. A more reassuring day.

Also reassuring is that California's backlog of 60,000 tests is down to 13,000. It's unclear how many of those have been reported - but if they have been reported it's great because the state's increase was less than yesterday's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

My sister and her son have never had it. I assume her husband has had it as he lived In Nigeria until his late teens. My Mother has had it.
                                          Sub-Saharan Africa is probably the last major continent to have a large number of infections due to a lack of regular travellers from Asia (most of the first cases were actually Europeans).

I think it's way too early to make assumptions regarding Africans having a built in resistance or immunity as well as the effectiveness of Anti-malerials.
                                          I may be wrong, but I swear I took Cloroquinne when I first went to live in Nigeria in 1985. I stopped taking in a couple of months later as there were reports of strong side effects (I don't remember having any). I could be wrong though as it will be 35 years in August.
                                          Speaking of Africa, Corona virus and Medications, there is something i wish to get off my chest. I may post something on the white Supremacy thread (Hint, France).
                                          I think I had malaria while travelling in the CAR in 1987 (can't be sure as it was never properly diagnosed but all the symptoms were present; "fever, moderate to severe shaking chills, profuse sweating, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and anaemia") Probably too long ago to give me any immunity today, though.
                                          Last edited by Sporting; 05-04-2020, 06:32.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/theglipper/status/1246644176470585344[/URL]

Comment

Problems for one of Spain's biggest brothels:

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...-brothels.html

Comment

Only 84,821 cases and 5,800 deaths yesterday. I think that's just evidence of lower reporting at the weekend and expect it to spike again on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Trump trying to kill his own voters again
                                                  Don’t knock it. Might be our best hope.

Comment

Prisons are a worry. A friend's brother is serving 4 years for drug offences, and although he has been moved to an open prison with other non-violent offenders, in many ways it's worse as it's 23hr lockdown. He would be getting released anyway fairly soon, but there's no way that can happen until he's tested, and he can't contact his probation officer or lawyer to find out what's going on as they're WFH and he only has office numbers.

And this guy is fairly intelligent and switched on (he was a fairly successful, ahem, businessman until he got pinched). Others will be clueless and helpless.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X