Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Me neither, for the reasons identified by Furtho.

Also, the 'alternative product' phenomenon: if a supermarket doesn't have what I need, then I go elsewhere rather than pay for 'something else'.
    That's my view too. I think I've used a delivery service maybe three times in my life.

One of my sisters has ten kids so has used it pretty often.

Comment

Presumably the Queen will have been tested now, having met both Johnson and Charles recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
        I don't know, I think a lot of people who normally get their groceries delivered are used to doing one big shop every week or two so can easily reach that. It's not really cost or energy-efficient to get the supermarket to bring you a handful of things every 3 days, and 80 items is not even that many if you're feeding a family of 5.

We usually get a delivery every 3 weeks or so and that would easily have over 100 individual items (especially if you count single bananas, squashes etc.) Obviously we're not doing that at the moment, not least because Sainsbury's have stopped all online deliveries except to vulnerable customers, but the regular online shoppers who manage to bag a slot might well find their style (rightly) cramped by this.
        If you count single bananas, maybe. I do a lot of online grocery shopping and I struggle to reach 20 in a single shop. I've got a very big order (for me) queued up right now for when a delivery slot opens up and that's 25 items, six of which are individual cans of beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
          We don't drive, so it's convenient to get all the bulky and heavy stuff delivered at once. Also saves having to go inside a supermarket which is a plus.

Yes, we usually get a delivery every couple of weeks or so of the heavy or bulky items such as milk (cow and soya), fruit juice, spuds, washing detergent, toilet rolls, canned pulses and so on plus a selection of other bits and bobs and then just pop up to the local supermarkets for a bag of lighter or more perishable items once every day or two.

Comment

Matt Hancock also tests positive

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
              Has Johnson been near Dominic Cummings lately? Asking for a friend.
              This may answer your question ;

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1243520576007872513?s=20

Comment

I see a lot of "fortunately my symptoms are mild" but we've seen enough by now to know that that's calling it early.

Our experience with grocery delivery so far is that you're often lucky to get exactly what you asked for. I wonder if stores are using it as an excuse to unload less popular items, in the hope that people will just take what they're given.

Comment

Tick the "no substitutes" box, people.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                    Tick the "no substitutes" box, people.

Indeed, or just decline any substitutes offered that are unacceptable.

Comment

Yeah I know you have the no substitutes option, but then you risk not getting anything. We've gotten rejected on weird stuff like garlic powder that you can't see why they'd be out of it.

Comment

Substitutes is why we ended up with Ocado, who let you know beforehand what they're sending. And usually (right now things are tricky) send what you order.

Sainbo's would just lie about what they had and not bring stuff. And Tesco were bizarre. And you end up having to check through stuff at the door and it's hassle

Comment

I have never had a grocery delivery. I would rather go to the supermarket and browse for multibuy and other special offers cos i'm a tight git and love a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            We had one back towards the end of the last millenium, but didn't like it, so haven't had one since.
                            I feel the same way about prostate examinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                              Yeah I know you have the no substitutes option, but then you risk not getting anything. We've gotten rejected on weird stuff like garlic powder that you can't see why they'd be out of it.
                              This is a bit of an exaggeration, at least in London. I typically have one substitution per shop, occasionally two. Things would probably be a bit worse now, admittedly, if I could actually place an order.

Comment

In normal circumstances we have a delivery of bulky items and standard, packaged stuff about once a fortnight and pick up any fresh or unexpected requirements as we go along. It is convenient and there doesn't seem much difference in substance between their bringing it round in a van and our having to go and fetch it in a car. As needs vary from household to household, so the most workable shopping arrangement will too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                  I have never had a grocery delivery. I would rather go to the supermarket and browse for multibuy and other special offers cos i'm a tight git and love a bargain.
                                  It's like we were separated at birth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post

This is a bit of an exaggeration, at least in London. I typically have one substitution per shop, occasionally two. Things would probably be a bit worse now, admittedly, if I could actually place an order.
                                    I'm not in London

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                      I feel the same way about prostate examinations.
                                      Indeed. Both leave you wondering what you'll find after they've unpacked all your stuff...

Comment

We normally only have 2 or 3 substitutions per order out of 100+ items, and they're quite reasonable (different brand or size of the same product.) Except the one time we tried ordering from ASDA and they'd replaced about 25% of items despite placing the order with them only the day before.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1243532761262182402[/URL]

Comment

Do they give you the substitution item at the same price as the one they're out of, or do you pay the higher price if it's more expensive?

Comment

I wonder if Hancock got it from Boris.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-03-2020, 13:57.

Comment

I'm not really complaining about the substitutions which haven't been major. Just some odd stuff. We ordered coffee beans from Whole Foods, just send us any kind of beans, and we got random off-brand ground coffee. That store is awash in coffee beans.

Comment

WOM, if it's cheaper you pay the cheaper price (obvs.), and if it's more expensive you get a voucher for the difference, at least with Sainsbo's. Which is quite good when they send you a much bigger size of what you ordered.

Comment

My feeling is that grocery delivery was implemented early and well in Britain, and - at least before I left - was free if you ordered enough. It was particularly useful in London when you basically never wanted to drive anywhere if you could avoid it. The US felt like a comparatively very late adopter and the grocery stores always wanted to charge. I've only had 2 or 3 deliveries of groceries here through Amazon Fresh - they worked OK. The trick is, as others say, to use it to buy the large volume or high weight goods that you wouldn't want to carry home on the bus, but where it really doesn't matter if they swap out one brand of white rice or toilet paper or tinned tomatoes for another. I bought fresh produce once, and once was enough to know that I'd rather do that in person. You're never buying so much asparagus that you can't carry it home from the Waitrose in Balham.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X