Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus: Tesco restricts online orders to 80 items each
    This must be some meaning of "restricts" I'm not familiar with.

Comment

Heh...all these cruise lines won't be part of the US bailout funds because they, of course, have all domiciled abroad for tax reasons. Shame, that.

Comment

The-Reverend Glad to hear that.

Comment

Ignore, sorry.
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-03-2020, 12:11.

Comment

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say it's very convenient for Johnson, he can look heroic "we're all in this together " and he doesn't have to face scrutiny.

Comment

Hopefully people will now start taking this pandemic seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Heh...all these cruise lines won't be part of the US bailout funds because they, of course, have all domiciled abroad for tax reasons. Shame, that.
                I'm afraid a very nasty cynic in me came out last night and said that I bet there will be a lot of self-employed people frantically now explaining to HMRC that of course their business does make £40k a year profits, not the £5k they always put on their tax returns, too.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 27-03-2020, 12:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                  Hopefully people will now start taking this pandemic seriously.
                  Maybe Johnson will, yeah.

Comment

Boris is another person tested without meeting the guidelines. #JustSaying

Comment

Does Johnson have any underlying conditions?

Comment

Well he lies under normal conditions.

Comment

<bites tongue>

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                            This must be some meaning of "restricts" I'm not familiar with.
                            I don't know, I think a lot of people who normally get their groceries delivered are used to doing one big shop every week or two so can easily reach that. It's not really cost or energy-efficient to get the supermarket to bring you a handful of things every 3 days, and 80 items is not even that many if you're feeding a family of 5.

We usually get a delivery every 3 weeks or so and that would easily have over 100 individual items (especially if you count single bananas, squashes etc.) Obviously we're not doing that at the moment, not least because Sainsbury's have stopped all online deliveries except to vulnerable customers, but the regular online shoppers who manage to bag a slot might well find their style (rightly) cramped by this.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                              Has Johnson been near Dominic Cummings lately? Asking for a friend.
                              Being serious, wasn't there a story/rumour in the last few months that Cummings was seriously ill and would possibly stand down because of that?

Comment

I'm I the only one who's literally never gotten a grocery delivery?

Comment

Probably. It is 2020.

Comment

I never had before this pandemic.

Comment

I'm I the only one who's literally never gotten a grocery delivery?
                                      We had one back towards the end of the last millenium, but didn't like it, so haven't had one since.

Comment

I've never had a home delivery of groceries. I don't want anyone else picking my fruit or veg, in particular.

Comment

We don't drive, so it's convenient to get all the bulky and heavy stuff delivered at once. Also saves having to go inside a supermarket which is a plus.

Comment

I've never had one. I don't drive either and try to avoid supermarkets. Easier in London I guess.

Comment

Not completely clear, as they all have US subsidiaries that are eligible and could transfer funds received within the corporate family.

How is Tesco defining "item"? I presume not individual grains of rice or bananas in a bunch. 80 sounds high to me, but our family is small.

Comment

Me neither, for the reasons identified by Furtho.

Also, the 'alternative product' phenomenon: if a supermarket doesn't have what I need, then I go elsewhere rather than pay for 'something else'.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                                  I've never had one. I don't drive either and try to avoid supermarkets. Easier in London I guess.
                                                  We top up with trips to smaller shops throughout the month, but all we have locally are corner shops and metro/express type things which are more expensive and have a much smaller range of products so we couldn't just rely on them.

Comment

This is the first time I’ve tried. The app is called Shipt. It let me sign up and order a bunch of things before telling me there are no available delivery slots. Now the app is so slow that I can’t even get it to take my password so I can go in and cancel the membership. Total fail. It should tell people *upfront* that it isn’t going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X