Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
    At this point, I am starting to think think that nothing but martial law would get people to behave in some countries.
    From today BC's provincial government will be instituting fines and potentially imprisonment for people flouting the laws on "physical" distancing ("social" sounds too cosy), assembling in large groups, hoarding, and the reselling of food and, especially, medical supplies.

Comment

Just went to Trader Joe’s and Sheetz. No problem. Some people seemed to be interpreting 6ft as more like 5ft, but neither place was remotely crowded and TJs had everything, even toilet paper.

The people at Sheetz were wearing gloves. I think they are at TJs but I didn’t notice this time. Some TJs got called out for telling employees that gloves were not “welcoming” but I think that was just a few local managers and National has reversed that.

I notice that most Asian people I see around are wearing the simple kind of masks. Seems like it’s just expected in their social circles. But unless they have a big supply of them, they can’t be very useful for more than about a day, right?

Comment

Accepting HP and Ursus's reservations about comparing infection rates... it looks like that by the end of today the US will be the country with the most cumulative infections; and unlike other places at the top of the list, even the states with heavy restrictions in place aren't reversing any trends yet and there are still states that have basically almost no restrictions. The US's per capita infection rates are still below most places in Europe, but I fear that it won't stay that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
          I notice that most Asian people I see around are wearing the simple kind of masks. Seems like it’s just expected in their social circles. But unless they have a big supply of them, they can’t be very useful for more than about a day, right?
          15 minutes according to La Signora's GP.

Comment

Not been shopping for a few days but according to one of two guests staying at ours, the nearby big Tesco has seriously beefed up its security, hygiene and staff protection

Comment

The bit that is really tough with whatever illness this is that every once in a while I just hit a wall where I get a slight headache and everything becomes about 10x harder than it should be, makes dealing with the kids incredibly difficult and getting any actual work done is basically out the window. Comes and goes over the course of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                Accepting HP and Ursus's reservations about comparing infection rates... it looks like that by the end of today the US will be the country with the most cumulative infections; and unlike other places at the top of the list, even the states with heavy restrictions in place aren't reversing any trends yet and there are still states that have basically almost no restrictions. The US's per capita infection rates are still below most places in Europe, but I fear that it won't stay that way.
                Population density seems linked to infection and mortality rates, which explains why New York is the epicentre.

Comment

White House wants to class counties as high, medium or low risk. Fucking nuts in such a mobile population.

Comment

Transport hubs are also high risk, which doesn't help

Though I believe that Louisiana is close to New York's rate on a per capita basis, which is rather terrifying given the wide disparity in resources

Comment

Indonesia, Russia and Iceland join the 'over 800 cases' club.

Comment

Mask uptake is much higher among BAME shoppers and members of the public in my experience.
                        For some reason a lot of them think that this means they can ignore the 2m rule and get right in your face. A lot of home-made efforts along with the decorator's masks.
                        About 20% of colleagues (all BAME) are sporting them, which we're trying to discourage, along with gloves, which are far worse for spreading infection than washed hands.

Comment

Horrific daily update for Ireland - number of deaths has more than doubled today, from 9 to 19:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1243279037037973508

Comment

It's getting interesting in my job, lots of enquiries about Wills, and we can handle drafting them, especially when we can send them to the client via email, but the problem is the attestation.

To be valid in England and Wales the testator's signature needs to be witnessed by two people who aren't named in the Will as executors or beneficiaries or are spouses/civil partners of those people. Under normal circumstances we get clients in and two of us witness the Will, but that's right out. And it's not like they can print it at home and ask the next door neighbours around, especially as most of my clients are over 60 and a good slug of them older than that with health issues.

Scotland appears to be working round this but as usual, England and Wales are dragging their feet. Thanks, Westminster.
                            ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                              The government does understand the consequences of its course of action, doesn't it?

This side of the Baltic, we're pushing the 1000 mark in confirmed cases, something like 70% of them in the Helsinki area, which is now in lockdown. Two more deaths in the last 24 hours take our nationwide total to five.
                              I wish I knew what the fuck was going on. The government keeps saying it is important to stop infections and flatten the curve, while simultaneously doing fuck all. It feels like they are trying the herd immunity thing without telling the population straight up.

Girlfriend has German citizenship and car with German number plates. Might piss off down there. They might not let me in though: I'm not German.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                Mask uptake is much higher among BAME shoppers and members of the public in my experience.
                                For some reason a lot of them think that this means they can ignore the 2m rule and get right in your face. A lot of home-made efforts along with the decorator's masks.
                                About 20% of colleagues (all BAME) are sporting them, which we're trying to discourage, along with gloves, which are far worse for spreading infection than washed hands.
                                Hockey equipment manufacturer Bauer have created a "goalie mask" for medical staff. No doubt it'll be street-ware in your town soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

15 minutes according to La Signora's GP.
                                  So one per three patient interactions, more or less.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

I wish I knew what the fuck was going on. The government keeps saying it is important to stop infections and flatten the curve, while simultaneously doing fuck all. It feels like they are trying the herd immunity thing without telling the population straight up.

Girlfriend has German citizenship and car with German number plates. Might piss off down there. They might not let me in though: I'm not German.
                                    Maybe they saw the panic when the British government tried to be honest and kept quiet.

Comment

What are you making of this applause for the NHS workers?

I have put my phone away and heard all this clapping outside, panicking i came out and asked the neighbours what was going on.
                                      If you appreciate what they are doing, give the poor bastards some proper protective equipment and a large freaking bonus.

I hope their fine work is remembered in 18 months when they come looking for an above inflation payrise.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I have put my phone away and heard all this clapping outside, panicking i came out and asked the neighbours what was going on.
                                        If you appreciate what they are doing, give the poor bastards some proper protective equipment and a large freaking bonus.

I hope their fine work is remembered in 18 months when they come looking for an above inflation payrise.
                                        I thought it was a nice gesture and my street was out in force, but my partner echoed your second paragraph and I thought the third. I also wonder how many people who voted for the cretins that cut their resources were clapping too? (not my street which is quite Labour-centric, more in general)

Comment

Yesterday's California numbers looked slightly better - the rise was the same as the previous day. Today, in contrast, there's a massive uptick, already double yesterday's new-case total, and it's only 2:30 in the afternoon. My guess is that this jump is linked to testing: a friend mentioned that free drive-thru testing is now on stream in the Bay Area (54 cases diagnoses in Hayward alone).

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

I heard it. A nice gesture. Would prefer people to not vote Tory ever again. But there you go.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1243265481601093637?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                I am privy to some information not in the public domain and the coming weeks will see people finally realise what a cancer Covid is on the NHS.
                                                The level of tactical planning and reorganisation behind the scenes is both inspiring and terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

The level of tactical planning and reorganisation behind the scenes is both inspiring and terrifying.
                                                  Yep...it's a war situation really.

Comment

On the local news tonight they showed aerial footage of a couple who had driven to moorland to walk their dog. Cue lots of criticism and the Police chief saying they will turn anyone back driving to a place to take their exercise.

I couldn't help thinking that this couple were far less likely to spread the virus than my wife and her colleagues working in a mental health unit, with no protective clothing and no prospect of staying 2m apart from each other.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X