Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    The fragmentation of media has made that kind of thing much easier than it was

Perhaps her entire media diet is Netflix, Christian music, or cat videos (or all three, for that matter)

There is now a significant proportion of the US population that doesn't have a radio and only uses their television as a streaming and video game display device.

Hulu is running PSAs now and the CDC info link appears whenenver one opens Instagram. Hopefully, all the streaming services can add something.

And, I suppose, all of these people will soon have an interaction like the one she had with somebody less oblivious and that will, hopefully, at least spark their curiosity.

Comment

The phrase people are looking for is generally attributed to Mark Twain. “I do not wish ill on another human being. I wii read certain obituaries with great pleasure.”

Currently stood outside a chippy having a celebratory fish and chips. (I got the Microsoft gig.) We’re all practicing social distancing and the guy is taking orders outside. It’s a bizarre scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
        I haven't been checking as regularly and there are now loads of new countries with more than 800 cases. Ecuador, Chile, Poland, Thailand, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Finland, Greece. I don't know if these countries all have effective lockdowns in place yet, but if they don't, they're going to have tens of thousands of cases in the next month.
        India has to be a huge issue. As far as I know social distancing and self isolation are utterly unworkable there, never mind a lock-down. It has catastrophe written all over it.

Comment

India announced a country-wide lockdown yesterday, not sure at all how that will go.

Comment

How do you lockdown the huge homeless population?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              On his podcast today, Pete Holmes describes a recent incident where he was out for social-distance-compliant walk with his wife and young daughter near Griffith Observatory. He said that he saw somebody he knew from college (he went to a tiny Christian college* in New England so that is surprising in LA) and she got all excited and went in for a hug. He had an awkward exchange with her to get her to back off, and he explains all of that, but what came out of it was that when he asked why she didn't get the message about social distancing, she said "Oh, I haven't been following that." Like it's the fucking World Series or something that's just optional. So it appears that in addition to the loony rightwing "this is a Chinese bioweapon" crowd, there's a crowd of people who are completely oblivious to it. Even in one the hardest-hit cities.
              Did she mean it like she wasn't following the news, or she knew about it and decided not to distance from others? Because I saw a lot of people like that on the weekend.

Comment

Look North yesterday had a vox pop of people shopping on Stockton High Street (it's still here 45 seconds in, for people with access to the iPlayer), and not only found a comedy local man doing some emergency shopping for bechamel sauce for his parmo ("well it's my tea innit") but also an older couple who had absolutely no idea that there was a lockdown on until told by the reporter.

Comment

Got my government text (Virgin Mobile) ar 13.10 today. It has caused slight confusion among my colleagues, who of course must come to work if asymptomatic, not stay at home as the text orders.

Don't like the sound of this test being "sold" at Boots. Shouldn't it free at Boots? Or, as I understand it you send off for your results, so why not conducted in Boots?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                    Look North yesterday had a vox pop of people shopping on Stockton High Street (it's still here 45 seconds in, for people with access to the iPlayer), and not only found a comedy local man doing some emergency shopping for bechamel sauce for his parmo ("well it's my tea innit") but also an older couple who had absolutely no idea that there was a lockdown on until told by the reporter.
                    It's only been operative for a day though, so some news-lag is to be expected I think. By the weekend... not so much.

Comment

I still haven't received the text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                        Got my government text (Virgin Mobile) ar 13.10 today. It has caused slight confusion among my colleagues, who of course must come to work if asymptomatic, not stay at home as the text orders.

Don't like the sound of this test being "sold" at Boots. Shouldn't it free at Boots? Or, as I understand it you send off for your results, so why not conducted in Boots?
                        The information they've put out on this is very confusing. We have yet to be able to find out who is producing the tests, for one thing, and Boots don't seem to know anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                          I still haven't received the text ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                          Won't you be getting yours from Macron? [/brexitdone]

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                            My guess is luck - the first person to return home from traveling carrying the infection lived in Gwent rather than elsewhere in Wales, and happened to bring it back 7+ days before patient 2 came home to another region. Or the number of returning carriers was just higher there, so it began spreading from more spots. Basically Gwent is just further along it's curve rather than anything else.
                            I think that's probably the case too. In Barnsley we have a grand total of 14 confirmed cases, with no deaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              The phrase people are looking for is generally attributed to Mark Twain. “I do not wish ill on another human being. I wii read certain obituaries with great pleasure.”

Currently stood outside a chippy having a celebratory fish and chips. (I got the Microsoft gig.) We’re all practicing social distancing and the guy is taking orders outside. It’s a bizarre scene.
                              Our chippy has gone to delivery only - we had it last night. It tasted better than when we go to collect it, so it looks like we won't be going out to get it even when we're allowed back out.

I've actually been enjoying working from home this week. The last couple of mornings my wife has been finishing up at work so I've been looking after my children as well - which has been an experience. The older boys have also been brilliant as well - they've been doing their schoolwork, interspersed with going into the garden and enjoying the sun. There's been very little in the way of arguments. On the weekend I'll have no option but to put the trampoline up (we take it down for winter) as a thank you to them for getting through this in the right way.

Regarding social distancing in public - I've not left the house since Sunday lunchtime when I popped to my local shop for essentials (beer and milk), but have been following events second hand through Facebook and my family and friends on Whatsapp. The overriding impression I get is that it's actually the vulnerable/elderly who are the ones ignoring all the warnings and advice, and I really don't see how it can be missed at the moment. I've been listening to Absolute 80s all day and every single ad break carries a bookend about not going out unless you're a key worker, etc... I assume other stations are the same, and I've also just seen a PSA on E4 about not going out.

There are other issues as well - my cousin posted something about parents making sure their kids stay in as he's seen groups of teenagers at the end of his road. Whilst others agreed it was wrong, one person responded with the fact that he's at work in the day at the moment and simply can't stop his 15 year old from going out aside from giving him warnings. It's a fair argument to be fair. How many 15 year olds don't take the piss when given the chance to?

Comment

We're in a Level 4 lockdown today. Can't hear a car anywhere. Bravo, New Zealand.

Comment

mike Davis in the Nation on
                                  Wuhan and the politics of the CoronaVirus

Comment

I don't think we have "levels" here. As seen above, just getting the relevant people to have a clue is a challenge so a "system" is beyond most of us.

But maybe New Zealand is better not only because it's just a better place with better people but because you've had more serious natural disasters in recent years. And dragons and what not too, perhaps.

Comment

I don't think we have "levels" here. As seen above, just getting the relevant people to have a clue is a challenge so a "system" is beyond most of us.

But maybe New Zealand is better not only because it's just a better place with better people but because you've had more serious natural disasters in recent years. And dragons and what not too, perhaps.
                                      Luckier in this case, for many reasons, location and lack of population density being the obvious ones. Almost everyone goes through one airport (Auckland), even in transit.

In the absence of international sport, the lockdown has become a kind of macabre contest ("let's beat the Aussies!"). Fine, if that's what works.

Comment

The Australian government’s communication continues to be sufficiently confusing that a lot of people are still being pig-headed about it.

I got one government text which tells us to stay 1.5m from people and stay indoors if we feel unwell. That’s it.

Comment

The earthquakes are the result of sodomy so can not be classified as a natural disaster. I refer you to the renowned theologian and seismologist, Bishop Brian Tamaki.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38011627

It may have killed off the dragons as well - I haven't seen any for years - but Bishop Tamaki has not deigned to offer an opinion on that.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Luckier in this case, for many reasons, location and lack of population density being the obvious ones. Almost everyone goes through one airport (Auckland), even in transit.

In the absence of international sport, the lockdown has become a kind of macabre contest ("let's beat the Aussies!"). Fine, if that's what works.
                                            You did.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1242905440515735552?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Number of cases in my county jumped from 15 to 33 today - only anecdotal evidence, but apparently one infected woman worked in a fast food restaurant, and a returnee from Cheltenham went into a local pub.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1242896150585397252?s=21[/URL]

Comment

The UK have now got the Chief Medical Officer on all the main channels imploring people to stay indoors. Unfortunately this was followed on BBC NW by the weather bloke telling us we're about to have a glorious fortnight of unbroken sunshine.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X