Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Italian death toll has reached ten

Five European countries now have cases of Italian residents or nationals who recently visited Italy

Comment

Sheee-it

https://twitter.com/katecallen/status/1232393617710493701

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The Italian death toll has reached ten

Five European countries now have cases of Italian residents or nationals who recently visited Italy

Visited China, presumably.

Comment

No, that's the scary thing about Italy.

The substantial majority of cases have not had any first, second or third hand contact with China.

Italy still hasn't been able to identify its Patient Zero.

Comment

On Channel 4 News earlier, senior presenter Jon Snow was interviewed by video link to his flat. He is currently self quarantined at home for 14 days, following government advice to travellers returning from Iran.

Comment

No, that's the scary thing about Italy.

The substantial majority of cases have not had any first, second or third hand contact with China.

Italy still hasn't been able to identify its Patient Zero.

Ah, OK. The "cases" remark threw me. I read it as "instances" whereas you obviously meant it as "virus victims".

Comment

"individuals confirmed to have tested positive"

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  On Channel 4 News earlier, senior presenter Jon Snow was interviewed by video link to his flat. He is currently self quarantined at home for 14 days, following government advice to travellers returning from Iran.

Was he in his dressing gown and unshaven?

Comment

"individuals confirmed to have tested positive"

Yup.

I'd imagine that, as the virus spreads in Italy, Patient Zero might be more and more inclined to keep his or her head down.

Infection via a Chinese tourist must be quite likely, I'd have thought.

Comment

That was the original hypothesis, but multiple investigations have come up empty to date.

The real fear is that there may be multiple sources.

Comment

New case reported in Algeria.

Comment

Will the cold aid the virus as with the flu? Might we expect to see it burn out in the spring?

Comment

That was the original hypothesis, but multiple investigations have come up empty to date.

The real fear is that there may be multiple sources.
                            And then we can expect multiple sources to most European countries as well? I fear the HSE is in no way prepared for this in Ireland. It's probably the most dysfunctional part of the public service.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              Will the cold aid the virus as with the flu? Might we expect to see it burn out in the spring?
                              Health officials are hoping that is the case, but there's no way of knowing in advance.

Comment

And it's fuckin unseasonably cold in Ireland and Britain. Yay.

Comment

I read something (that I'm guessing is bullshit given the temperatures in Wuhan aren't exactly Baltic) that the virus can lie dormant in nasal passages until infected people get to somewhere cold. fuck the internet and misinformation.

Comment

It's currently around 15 degrees Celsius during the day in Wuhan, and that doesn't seem to be killing it off yet, so we may have to wait quite a while for temperatures to hit a point that would slow it down.

Comment

Irish and Scottish summers in a bad year might not get too far above 15. Maybes my gf is right to start with her stockpiling the tinned soup and big bags of pasta.

Comment

This long thread is definitely worth reading

[URL]https://twitter.com/prolapsarian/status/1231977865882800130?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

And then we can expect multiple sources to most European countries as well? I fear the HSE is in no way prepared for this in Ireland. It's probably the most dysfunctional part of the public service.
                                          Meanwhile, the IRFU reaction:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1232404832205574147

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                            This long thread is definitely worth reading
                                            It very much is.

I would add that the outbreak provides a convenient talking point for fans of the surveillance state.

Comment

Fucking hell.

Comment

First case reported in South America, a Brazilian resident who recently returned from Italy.

Comment

3 new cases in Thailand. Health Minister Anutin urges citizens to avoid traveling abroad if possible. "For the airlines, please reduce promotions," he said. "Even though tickets are cheap, it could be your last holiday."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X