Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
    I go shopping daily, I decide when I arrive what we will eat this evening based on what's on the shelves, today it was salmon, spuds and green beans...Even found eggs, the 'posh' ones I usually get. Picked just one box...

I generally stock a few kilos of pasta at home as I always pick up offers on the good brands. My wife is not mocking my quirk anymore....
    I do that too. Though La Signora has been discouraging me as I'm irresponsibly exposing myself to greater risk of infection and infecting others. We've compromised, and get a box delivered every week, I'll fill in the rest with two or three brief shops a week.

Comment

California has gone to state-wide shelter in place

Comment

It’s been expected, and it’s not as hard a lockdown as France or Italy, I don’t think. But the fact that it’s so open-ended is what bothers me. There being no suggested timeline for when we're allowed back on the street makes me very nervous.

Comment

On shopping issues, the widely reported (in good faith) stories on busloads of people stripping shelves in regional NSW have apparently been debunked by the local newspaper.

Comment

That's a relief in some ways

Comment

At least two other GOP Senators shown to have dumped millions in stock after receiving non-public COVID briefings.

Comment

Could other shareholders sue for that? Seems like they could.

Comment

It's up to four now, including at least one who not only sold, she then re-invested in stock for a company that specializes in putting business apps on shared cloud access.

Comment

One of the Senators is rumored to be Dianne Feinstein. Really hoping that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      It’s been expected, and it’s not as hard a lockdown as France or Italy, I don’t think. But the fact that it’s so open-ended is what bothers me. There being no suggested timeline for when we're allowed back on the street makes me very nervous.
                      An hour before the state issued their order, the County of LA issued a similar one, for a month. Newsom has not been trying to put a positive spin on things lately.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                        It's up to four now, including at least one who not only sold, she then re-invested in stock for a company that specializes in putting business apps on shared cloud access.
                        That would be Kelly Loeffler (R-GA), whose husband is CEO of the New York Stock Exchange

Comment

This may actually be getting some traction in Republican circles, as both Tucker Carlson and Charlie Kirk are calling for resignations

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            Are you allowed out to buy food?

Comment

Feinstein (or Swinestein, if you ask Jello) is apparently another of the Senators doing the insider trading. We should have primaried her when we had the chance.

Comment

Some people buy up toilet rolls and hand sanitisers to sell on Ebay at ridiculous prices, those with power and influence do insider trading to make ridiculous money. Both sets of people should be prosecuted.

Comment

Absolutely.

The President of Argentina has put us all on lockdown until midnight on the 31st March. We're only allowed to leave our homes to buy essentials from a nearby supermarket, or if we work in one of a number of specified roles. Public transport continues, presumably so that said people can reach their jobs, but I'm guessing it'll be rather a skeleton service.

We've had 128 confirmed cases so far, and two deaths. While some of that is obviously down to testing capacity, I hope this is as good an example of getting out in front of the worst of it as it seems to be.

Comment

Oh, and some absolute dickhead Dutch tourist who tested positive in Uruguay managed to get out of Montevideo and on to a ferry to Buenos Aires on Thursday, as a result of which 400 people who were also on that boat are now obliged to self-isolate. A few Argentines have already been jailed for breaking the rules that were in place until now, so I hope he can be as well.

Comment

Malaysia went into a semi lockdown on Wednesday, but too many people were just not paying attention, so yesterday the government announced a Movement Control Order meaning that police would start arresting anybody found outside without a good reason, and the army is on standby to assist the police from Sunday if needed. Hopefully people will now get the message and stay the fuck in.

Malaysia currently has around 825 active cases.
                                      Last edited by ooh aah; 20-03-2020, 06:57.

Comment

I can breathe again - no bad pun intended. My daughter's school closed a week early, and I managed to move her flight to the UK forward, via Doha. I was a little worried that the UK would change its policy on arrivals before she had landed, or that Qatar Airways would pull the flights. But she was okay, and she's in the cab going back to see her mum and sister. My flight is next Friday - I have a feeling things may change before I travel. I have food, water, internet access - Moshi isn't that bad a place to be stuck, but it would be good to see family again.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
                                          Malaysia went into a semi lockdown on Wednesday, but too many people were just not paying attention, so yesterday the government announced a Movement Control Order meaning that police would start arresting anybody found outside without a good reason, and the army is on standby to assist the police from Sunday if needed. Hopefully people will now get the message and stay the fuck in.

Malaysia currently has around 825 active cases.
                                          This is basically what's triggered the announcement here, as well (with the added variable that this coming weekend is a four-day weekend due to public holidays on Monday and Tuesday, and a bunch of people took the semi lockdown measures announced earlier in the week as an excuse to head to the beach).

Comment

Off to the local Waitrose in a few minutes to get there for opening time. Will I find a small group of desperate shoppers and well-stocked aisles or a mile-long queue and nothing on the shelves but expensive desserts and toiletries.

Exciting.

Comment

Canada and Australia have more than 800 cases.

Comment

As New Zeal is still not on lock down we went out tonight and gorged at our local Japanese restaurant. With the owner, I discovered her family hails from Dumbarton, just a wee bit down the road from my home ground of Helensburgh. Though they seemed to be doing a lot of takeaways, dine in was very quiet in a usually busy establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                  Some people buy up toilet rolls and hand sanitisers to sell on Ebay at ridiculous prices, those with power and influence do insider trading to make ridiculous money. Both sets of people should be prosecuted.
                                                  [URL]https://twitter.com/noirmj/status/1240645407899897856?s=21[/URL]

Comment

London earlier today

[URL]https://twitter.com/bbctomedwards/status/1240908987865927681?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                                    X