Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    FFS. If anyone want to discuss this then the A&F section is open to all, or PM me. Otherwise, can we please get back to the topic.
    Apologies.

I have also noticed a correlation between people speaking their brains on FB and twitter coming on here to moan about their limited employment opportunities.

Comment

Been working from home since Wednesday but back in the office Monday and Tuesday, we have some rota in place at work. Pointless palaver really but wfh is something that freaks out some managers it seems...

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        i can't say where she works obvs but it's terrifying these lads aren't enforcing govt recs.
        Well, if she won't even tell you where she works, I'd wonder what else she's ...etc.

Comment

Buzzfeed made a conscious decision to use some of the the money that they made from listicles and quizzes to build a real news operation that has done some excellent reporting (and continues to do so)

Ben Smith, who was face of that effort, was recently poached by the New York Times, but he only left because he was confident in the health of Buzzfeed News.

As an aside, the NYT now operates very much like a football club that completely ignores its youth ranks in favour of signing big names from other clubs.

Comment

Today's prediction. Yesterday there were about 978 deaths globally from Covid-19. Daily deaths worldwide from seasonal flu is 1,027. I think Covid-19 will overtake seasonal flu today.

Comment

I just realised that the gym I sometimes train at in Wolverhampton was on Channel 4 news yesterday.
              I was last in there Tuesday and is still pretty busy as it is the premier gym in town for the proper lifters.

Comment

tuckwat I couldn't find any of those either.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  I went to my local corner shop and it was well stocked. Got the things that weren't in Asda yesterday. Everyone in there was complaining about the panic buyers with a general sense of disdain for idiots. I also bought a salted caramel Twix out of curiosity.
                  I have been recommending this to everyone - your corner shop will most likely have everything the supermarkets don't, cash and carrys are well stocked and doing good trade, and it's easier for local shop owners to jump in their van and go and re-stock than it is for us. My corner shop has toilet roll on the floor snaking around the aisles.
                  Source: "Junior" at the corner shop.

Comment

Michel Barnier has tested positive:

https://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1240583782643773440

Comment

I hinted that in weeks to come we'd be rapidly employing extra staff - well, identically worded recruitment posts went on Facebook feeds of all managers except me* last night as I typed my screed. Today we have already had 20+ prospective new employees turn up at our location with passports in hand, to start tomorrow.

So I guess the barriers, red tape and legalities are being overcome or ignored.

Wasn't asked, because I would say no. Private/Professional are two different things. I never have current work colleagues linked on social media.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

I have been recommending this to everyone - your corner shop will most likely have everything the supermarkets don't, cash and carrys are well stocked and doing good trade, and it's easier for local shop owners to jump in their van and go and re-stock than it is for us. My corner shop has toilet roll on the floor snaking around the aisles.
                        Exactly the same here. My Pakistani fruit and veg man had tons of bog roll this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

The chap did tell someone else that it's hard to get eggs at the moment. Although he had loads on the shelves. He also advised me to take two packets of bake at home baguettes because "They're disappearing fast at the moment". Not sure how true this is or whether he's just a good salesman.

It's a nice little shop. It's also the post office and I feel good about supporting them.

Comment

Troubling report on price gouging through the entire supply chain here

https://thecity.nyc/2020/03/nyc-supp...-cleaners.html

Comment

Apparently (I don't shop in it) the local Waitrose is out of bread.I''ve just been in the little convenience store opposite, bought one of about 10 loaves on the shelves.

I don't get the gym thing, too much handling of equipment. However, I am planning on going to play badminton tonight - four doors to negotiate (two to push, two to pull, all with elbow; the centre staff are regularly disinfecting them too), a social-distance metre or so at least from the people I'll be playing with. I'll give one of them my fiver at the end. I keep thinking that maybe I shouldn't go, then can't work out (given the advice that Covid-19 is shared by coughing/sneezing and hard surfaces) why I shouldn't. Will keep it under review.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

The chap did tell someone else that it's hard to get eggs at the moment. Although he had loads on the shelves. He also advised me to take two packets of bake at home baguettes because "They're disappearing fast at the moment". Not sure how true this is or whether he's just a good salesman.

It's a nice little shop. It's also the post office and I feel good about supporting them.
                                I had to buy part-baked baguettes this morning in our local shop as all the bread had gone. The owner though was confident of being re-stocked today.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I had to buy part-baked baguettes this morning in our local shop as all the bread had gone. The owner though was confident of being re-stocked today.
                                  I was going to buy some in Asda yesterday but the part baked bread section was completely bare.

Comment

Co-op's also good if you desperately need something that everywhere else is sold out of. Mind you, that's only because no one can afford to panic buy there.

Comment

The coop is expensive? When I worked there it was mostly elderly jakies buying naggins of whisky. Our manager would make us put new best before dates on out of date lettuce no one ever bought.

Comment

We're at half staff today and the other half (including me) are working from home tomorrow. Client interviews are telephone only unless it's urgent. I had one face to face meeting yesterday for a Will signing and one today who insists on "seeing the whites of people's eyes when I deal with them."

At both meetings one of the punters licked their fingers to turn the page of a document I had to handle. It's a fucking disgusting habit as it is, but...

Comment

Owen Paterson seems to think he's got it. He is self-isolating, but 'looking forward to being out and about helping in the community'. No idea what 'the community' means to Owen Paterson beyond the rich North Shropshire farmers who voted for him.

Comment

My university has adopted a "test optional" undergrad admissions policy for 2020-21.

Comment

Working...
                                            X