Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no way to verify this, but if real, it's a haunting video:
    https://amp.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c...community_has/

A lot of the screams sound like children. Wuhan is only allowing one person out of each residence every three days to get food and medicine. It's not going to be children who are leaving, which means they've been cooped up for weeks. Chinese apartments are not designed for people to stay in them for weeks on end. They're fairly small (not as small as Hong Kong, but still small) with the assumption that a lot of life will be lived outside. Chinese people do exercise and calligraphy classes outside on the pavement. In my small town near Chongqing, everyone went for a walk along the river after dinner. Restaurants are really good value so most people go out for meals multiple times a week. Spending this much time isolated in apartments is unprecedented for most.

I have no idea how China is going to keep going like this. Even if they contain the virus in the mainland, it's going to spread massively outside China, and then is China going to close the borders to all visitors?

Comment

7 deaths in Italy now a days a virologist on the radio saying it's a pandemic.

Comment

Awful news and, somewhat selfishly, must confess to being a bit worried about our trip to Rome being cancelled if things don't improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          Awful news and, somewhat selfishly, must confess to being a bit worried about our trip to Rome being cancelled if things don't improve.
          I understand. We are scheduled to go to Japan at the beginning of April.

Comment

Just bought some insurance. I think we have some through our bank but want to be on the safe side so went with a 'big name' company where we won't have to mess around should the FCO say not to go.

Comment

It would be wise to check up on your bank one as well. Just in case of date of purchase limiting clauses regarding already known events. I don't believe there is much in Rome yet, but there certainly is in Italy and that could be enough to prevent a cancellation claim.

Comment

School's cancelled in all of Italy (well at least it is in Calabria which is as far from Lombardy as it's possible to be). At least this week, but I'd be surprised if the panic is over anytime soon.

Comment

Interesting.

That isn't included in the official lists that I've been monitoring (which have Urbino as the southernmost province to have closed its schools).

And at least one site says that it is fake news circulating on What's App.
                  https://www.larampa.it/2020/02/24/co...s-su-whatsapp/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      Interesting.

That isn't included in the official lists that I've been monitoring (which have Urbino as the southernmost province to have closed its schools).

And at least one site says that it is fake news circulating on What's App.
                      https://www.larampa.it/2020/02/24/co...s-su-whatsapp/
                      Hmmmm. A friend in Reggio told me she has been told that school's off for her daughter until next Monday. I wonder where she heard it.

Comment

My occasional employer, the University of Queensland, has developed a vaccine which is now going into testing
                        https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...21-p5436l.html

Comment

New cases reported in Austria and Croatia.

Comment

I have no idea if this is a stupid question or not, but my understanding is that the bulk of the new cases are still in Wuhan, which has been on lockdown for a month now. How are people there still catching it?

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                              I have no idea if this is a stupid question or not, but my understanding is that the bulk of the new cases are still in Wuhan, which has been on lockdown for a month now. How are people there still catching it?
                              Presumably that's the length of the incubation period for the virus?

Comment

There are a number of such "anomalies" that are best explained by the incubation period being longer than originally thought (which of course calls into question the focus on 14 day quarantines).

Switzerland reports its first case (in Ticino).

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                  I presume that whatever the lockdown is like the fact that there are a large number of people carrying the virus means it will spread. People still have to go out to the shops, some have to go hospital (for other reasons than Covid19), and then they are stuck in their apartments together, so if one has caught it, all will. In places where there are only a very few cases there isn't that volume of opportunity to catch it if that makes sense. It's the same with any flu - here where I live a wave of flu came through a couple of weeks ago, some schools ended up closing for a few days as so many kids and teachers had got it, and of course it spread like wildfire. Other parts of the country saw very few cases, because there were very few in the first place.

Comment

And now a potential outbreak in Waterford.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                      And now a potential outbreak in Waterford.
                                      There are no cases as of yet. It;s possible that there will be, but to describe it as a "potential outbreak" sounds a bit sensationalist

Comment

I don't know much about pandemics. Have the people whose job it is to know been waiting (for years/decades) for "the big one," like with earthquakes? The last "big one" I can think of was AIDS which was at least easy to avoid if you knew how to, as opposed to highly contagious. Or does angry bovine count? I'm asking if there's a widely held view (among serious people) that it's always been just a matter of time before something devastating swept the globe like in 1918.

Comment

People in the field have been terrified of a 1918-style pandemic flu outbreak for decades, which is why Swine Flu, SARS, MERS and a host of other outbreaks that didn't go pandemic were such a big thing in their circles.

Comment

I gathered there was great alarm for each of those events, just wondering if there's also a more fatalistic "at some point something will get out of hand" view, for whatever combination of reasons.

Comment

I think that it is the nature of people in the field for them not to discuss such things in public.

Comment

Bahrain has reported 21 additional cases today, mostly recent arrivals from Iran.

Comment

Hasn't it always been a matter of when, not if, given the "ingenuity" of nature and there being billions of potential subjects intertwined in close proximity to each other?

Comment

The Ireland-Italy Six Nations game looks set to be cancelled:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1232372799966240768

Comment

Working...
                                                    X