No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the (main) official state news organ. Though I guess that doesn't help with reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
      Not really coronavirus related, but if we're talking Asian economic gloom, Japan's GDP fell over 6% in 4Q19.
      That was a hell of a number, wasn't it?

See also the increasing mountain of evidence that the Modi government has been cooking the books in a way that the Greeks would have found excessive.

ad hoc, Xinhua is the state news agency

Comment

Tokyo marathon has been cancelled, apart from the elite race

Comment

17th February update.

71,451 cases, 1,776 deaths.

Of the roughly 350-400 Americans who were evacuated off the Diamond Princess, 14 of them were confirmed to be asymptomatic carriers of Covid-19 while on their way to the airport. They were let on board and relegated to the back of the plane. I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the other passengers on that flight.

Comment

Because this is the US, I think one can be quite sure that more than one of the non-infected passengers has already been in touch with a plaintiffs' lawyer so as to "better understand their rights" in that context.

Comment

99 more cases confirmed on the Diamond Princess, bringing the current total to 454

At least one of the 3,000 plus passengers from the Westerdam, which was allowed to dock in Cambodia after having been refused by other countries, has tested positive in Malaysia.

Comment

Diamond Princess is up to 542 infections now or 14.6% of passengers and crew, or 23% of those who have been tested. I'm not sure how they'll calculate it from now on as countries have started evacuating their citizens. If more of the American evacuees test positive after arrival in the US, will they count as new Diamond Princess cases or new American cases? The UK seems to have been shamed into at least considering an evacuation.

Comment

They now have samples from all of the passengers and are going to start letting individuals disembark on Wednesday, expecting them all to be gone by Friday.

Comment

SEND THE BUGGERS BACK IF THEY'RE INFECTED!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51541352

Comment

Seen on Twitter the hospital administrator (manager?) from Wuhan has died.

Comment

It seems to be spreading relatively freely in a fair few Asian countries now, see this table.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                          The UK seems to have been shamed into at least considering an evacuation.
                          That bloke who is milking his time in the middle of it said (and I'm only paraphrasing very slightly) "It's ridiculous that we haven't been flown out. Mr Branson could send one of his smaller planes to take us home. We won't need stewardesses, we could just have a packed lunch."

So much to unpack from such a short statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post

That bloke who is milking his time in the middle of it said (and I'm only paraphrasing very slightly) "It's ridiculous that we haven't been flown out. Mr Branson could send one of his smaller planes to take us home. We won't need stewardesses, we could just have a packed lunch."

So much to unpack from such a short statement.
                            That couple have both been diagnosed with the virus now so they might not be flying anywhere for a while.

Comment

I heard that. I suppressed a few comments, because Fate will inevitably make me look like an arsehole f he died.

Comment

Two new cases reported in Iran. One new death in Hong Kong. 79 more cases from the Diamond Princess.

Comment

South Korea has now confirmed 20 new cases of the coronavirus, including 14 people involved in an outbreak traced to several church services in the central city of Daegu.

The jump in new cases is unprecedented so far in South Korea and brings the number of people infected in the country to 51.
                                  China has expelled three Wall Street Journal reporters, reportedly in response to an op ed with an incendiary "sick man of Asia" headline, though the individuals have also reported on the virus and Uighur oppression

Comment

I haven't been following the medical science side of the story in any great depth, but whilst most deaths have been amongst the elderly or those with existing conditions, some of the younger and fitter medics or hospital administrators at the centre of the crisis seem to have succumbed. Is it possible that intensity of exposure to the virus, living or working in an environment with a high concentration of sufferers, ramps up its potency or is that just normally the way of such things?

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear, but if I caught the 'flu after a single brief contact with a carrier would my subsequent illness be any less debilitating or potentially lethal than it would be if I'd caught it after spending a day in a room surrounded by individuals with the bug?

Comment

I don't think that anyone knows for sure yet, though all of the factors you mention (as well as stress and fatigue) likely contribute to the higher rate of mortality among medical staff.

In addition to there being individuals who are more susceptible, there are also individuals who have a greater ability to spread the virus (see the super carrier discussion s few pages back).

Comment

I think it's more that (especially for the people involved early when it wasn't clear it was a new strain) lots of health workers are going to get infected, and some of them are going to die, statistically. In Ebola outbreaks, up to 50% of cases are healthcare workers.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

China has expelled three Wall Street Journal reporters, reportedly in response to an op ed with an incendiary "sick man of Asia" headline, though the individuals have also reported on the virus and Uighur oppression
                                          I can understand Chinese people getting pissed off with the "Sick man of Asia" tag, have you not seen Fist of Fury?
                                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVwg6PQX6vc
                                          Last edited by Tactical Genius; 19-02-2020, 15:19.

Comment

It was a very dumb headline (not infrequent on the Journal's editorial pages), but I tend to think it was a pretext for their expulsion

Comment

Presumably the reporters would have had nothing to do with the oped anyway.

Comment

The two cases in Iran are now two deaths in Iran. To me, that suggests there might be many more unreported cases there.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                  It was a very dumb headline (not infrequent on the Journal's editorial pages), but I tend to think it was a pretext for their expulsion
                                                  https://twitter.com/YuanfenYang/status/1230131385874038784?s=20

this thread is interesting on racism and varying Chinese people's perceptions of it in different diasporas

Comment

We've all seen the coronavirus Tinder profile that's wending its way round the web, right?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X