Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, potentially moving to New England, then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This particular one is a resident of Melbourne, though coincidentally her family home is in New England. She is lovely other than her egg wrongness. Oh, and the turkey brining....

Comment

The standard complaint with many USian palettes is that they cannot tolerate any flavour other than processed sugar or any non-processed texture.

There is an interesting book to be written on how immigrant chefs and restaurateurs adopted "foreign" food for broad US audiences.

Comment

Then there's this

Comment

You can add to the list of runny egg haters.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            So, yeah.... we might have just bought a house. All dependent on getting mortgages and all that, but... yeah. We seem to be buying a house in a pandemic and during race riots and just at the start of a massive global recession. At face value this seems like a potentially foolish move.

The weirdest thing is that we never even saw the house. Just estate agent photos. I never thought people actually did that.
            Where is it?

Comment

It is in Andover, as we thought early on. We looked at the places out on the coast, but the commute down the 93 is just so much easier for the missus given that she's working just off the 93 in Medford. The nice thing is that it's only a couple of miles from the "town center" (as much as there is one), so it's not way out in the backwoods.

Comment

I was thinking the other day that the weirdest thing in US food is just how much cheese is used, and that it's basically just used for texture. Americans want melty, gooey, stringy-ness (which, I accept, is a wonderful thing), but so often there's no interest in actual cheese flavour. Cheese is just a neutral flavoured texture.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                  I love where we live but a proper winter would be okay once in a while
                  I think the first winter will be kind of fun and exotic. I never lived anywhere that had a proper cold, snowy winter. England just had bone-chilling dampness and temperatures marginally above freezing.

I suspect that by winter two I'll be looking for all kinds of weekend breaks in the sun, going on road trips to Florida or something equally daft.

Comment

That’s next to Lawrence. I have an old friend that is very involved in community development there. They have a lot of issues but a lot of potential. Some good food there. Lot of Dominicans.

Comment

The movers are moving stuff. Not into the truck yet, but they’re loading so much stuff into boxes. There are mountains of boxes. How can there be this many boxes of stuff when we apparently never buy anything.

But they have chosen a very weird order to do things in. They think it’ll take them three days, so you’d think they’d leave the kitchen stuff and chairs in the living room until the very end. Nope. So I guess it’s take-out and internet for the evening, rather than a relatively normal last couple of days...

Comment

I completely missed this thread, as usual. I have lived in my northern Boston blue collar suburb for 30 years - so feel like I know a bit about the area. Happy to chime in with my prejudiced opinions. And yes, this is the Hub of the Universe.

Comment

It’s midnight in Utah. We’re an hour from our hotel in St George. We have three tired and hungry cats. All our stuff was loaded onto a 50ft trailer by two guys in 100 degree heat. The poor sods were leaking sweat. We are on the move.

Comment

The move itself must be costing you a pretty packet!

Comment

It would be if the missus’s work wasn’t paying.

Comment

"I don't wanna change the world
                                I'm just moving to New England"

Comment

All the best SB. Makes a big difference if someone’s work is paying. If my work hadn’t paid for the forty foot container we might never have made it to Sydney.

Comment

Been back on the road for an hour already. I have a cat asleep resting a paw and nose on my arm. The missus is driving. St George Utah seems very mask-skeptical.

Comment

New England (pre-winter) has been much, much better than I feared. I actually like it here.

Anyway, I'm reviving this thread just to comment on some weird regional food things I'd never heard of before.

First up - during the Democratic Convention, the Rhode Island delegation mentioned "Rhode Island Calamari". I had thought that just referred to boats offloading squid in Newport. But then I keep seeing "Rhode Island Calamari" on menus and keep ordering it and discover that it's a particular preparation: fried (of course) and served with banana peppers, and garlic butter sauce. It is actually really good.

Then second is the pizza thing. It turns out that there are two regional pizza "specialities". Now, New England is not renowned for its pizza, for good reasons. But there are still two hyper-local variations.

On the North Shore (basically, the few beach towns north of Boston) there is something called "Beach Pizza". It's super-thin, crunchy, made with a sweet sauce - sometimes described as being close to ketchup, and apparently served nuclear hot. It was originally created in Lawrence, which is inland, but everyone learned about it on their beach trips as kids which is how it gets its name,

On the South Shore there is "Bar Pizza". Unsurprisingly, it was generally served in bars. It's a small pan pizza, where the toppings (usually cheap and basic) and particularly the cheese go right to the edge of the pan, then it's cooked for a long time so the pepperonis get almost burned and the cheese is browned all the way across.

It's weird to discover these very localised things.

Comment

There’s a new Adam Sandler movie on Netflix that was filmed in Salem and Marblehead. It’s set in Salem but mostly seems to be in Marblehead where I once lived. It’s not good, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                          There’s a new Adam Sandler movie on Netflix that was filmed in Salem and Marblehead. It’s set in Salem but mostly seems to be in Marblehead where I once lived. It’s not good, however.
                                          The missus made me sit through that last night. Incredible cast. Unsurprisingly terrible, otherwise. Adam Sandler really has a knack for being unnecessarily offensive.

Comment

I only watched about 20 minutes of it.

It seemed to be aimed at kids but had a lot of unfunny jokes that would make it PG13.

The Crosby’s grocery store he works in was my local when I lived there.

That area is great. If I had to live somewhere else in the US, that would probably be it.

Comment

Connecticut is the pizza state, apizza is fantastic. The bar pizza is from there too, specifically Colony Grill in Stamford.

Comment

True. Apizza is genuinely, objectively, good pizza (although I don't think it's quite as good as some of the Connecticutois believe). And the pizza you get from the little places near my in-laws is one of the very few reasons I'd ever want to get anywhere near those in-laws.

Comment

Yeah, Connecticut is the answer to the Tired, Wired, Inspired meme w/r/t pizza

Comment

My aunt served Frank Pepe at her wedding. It was inhaled.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X