Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, potentially moving to New England, then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post

If you're ever in France, you should order yourself a single egg.
    That'll be plenty, you reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

That'll be plenty, you reckon?
      I reckon it'll be un oeuf.

Comment

All you need to know to successfully integrate into New England life is that it's pronounced "chow-dah".

Comment

Excellent point

Joining a Chowder and Marching Society would be a good way to meet locals.

There is very little marching involved.

Comment

Masterful.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
              All you need to know to successfully integrate into New England life is that it's pronounced "chow-dah".
              If only that were the sole pronunciation issue - the Hahvahd, Chowdah, Blinkah thing. Much harder for me is the weird pronunciation of place names - there are both weird words, like Scituate or Winnipesaukee, and the really hard thing of English words that are pronounded wrong. There's a Sudbury, Duxbury, Marlborough thing where they massively over emphasise the Bury/Borough part. Then there are places like Harwich which appears to be pronounced Harrr - Witch. I fear it'll be a while before I start getting all of these right.

Comment

I was born in Connecticut in a town on the Thames River. You can probably guess how that's pronounced.

Comment

My family once had a comical interaction with a directory assistance operator in Atlanta who repeatedly insisted that she had no listing for relatives of ours who lived on Thames Court, only to eventually concede that she did have a family of that (uncommon) name on "Thaymes"

It is very difficult to get the Native American names "right" without hearing them pronounced (none replicate the original pronunciation of course). Your default assumption on any -wich, -wick, etc should be that the "w" is not silent.

Comment

No subtlety, these Canadians.

Comment

I've not updated this thread for a while because I was waiting: the missus accepted the job, but I didn't want to count any chickens until she actually started work given the state of the US economy right now.

But earlier this week she did start full time, employed work. So, we're on. I will be moving to Greater Boston at some point. What that point is... who knows. People keep asking and I keep replying "after the current chaos subsides". I'm guessing that it's going to be a month or two after both Massachusetts and California don't request that people stay out of the office if they're able to. If I was guessing, it would be sometime between September and January - arriving in New England just in time for the snow and cold...

Given the state of the US (and global) economy, by the way, all my previously expressed reservations are thrown out of the window. Getting a good full time job just before everything went to shit (in a basically recession-proof business) is ridiculously lucky.

Comment

Nice. It's a weird time for all this stuff.

Comment

It is certainly a good time to land a decent job. Mass seems to be taking COVID very seriously (being the BioMed center it is, that shouldn't be a surprise). I think you have a reasonable timeframe. If you get here in September at least you get fall. If it is nearer December... well, sucks to be you.

Comment

There was a moving truck on our block at the end of April, and people actively moving in and out, which I found quite strange under the circumstances.

I don't envy your search. The real estate market, the traffic and transit situation and the state of any local amenities are all going to be in a state of flux for quite a while after any "re-opening".

You definitely don't want to be doing this in winter, but you have more than six months in that regard (and fall is often absolutely glorious).

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure when New Englanders tell me that they love the seasons, they really just love autumn.

That said, autumn is probably the best season here, too - I'm in no rush to leave until I have to.

I'm making no serious predictions on the timing, or what the search will look like: who knows if the real estate market is about to collapse? Who knows if anyone will be able to get a mortgage? I'll just accept whatever the reality is... even if it means living in a shitty 1 bed apartment in Revere through the frozen months of winter.

Comment

Of course they have a place called Revere.

Comment

Pronounced something like "Reveah"

Comment

Isn't that how everyone says "revere"?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                      I've not updated this thread for a while because I was waiting: the missus accepted the job, but I didn't want to count any chickens until she actually started work given the state of the US economy right now.

But earlier this week she did start full time, employed work. So, we're on. I will be moving to Greater Boston at some point. What that point is... who knows. People keep asking and I keep replying "after the current chaos subsides". I'm guessing that it's going to be a month or two after both Massachusetts and California don't request that people stay out of the office if they're able to. If I was guessing, it would be sometime between September and January - arriving in New England just in time for the snow and cold...

Given the state of the US (and global) economy, by the way, all my previously expressed reservations are thrown out of the window. Getting a good full time job just before everything went to shit (in a basically recession-proof business) is ridiculously lucky.
                                      Damn! I was hoping you'd stick around so we could celebrate the birth of the great Cascadian Republic together.

Comment

I might have returned before the west finally gets its act together and secedes from Dumb America.

Comment

Best of luck with it SB, whenever it happens. The only Boston auburb I ever visited was Framingham, and that was nice.

Comment

Are you moving to Innsmouth? Arkham? Or Dunwich?

Comment

So, yeah.... we might have just bought a house. All dependent on getting mortgages and all that, but... yeah. We seem to be buying a house in a pandemic and during race riots and just at the start of a massive global recession. At face value this seems like a potentially foolish move.

The weirdest thing is that we never even saw the house. Just estate agent photos. I never thought people actually did that.

Comment

These are unusual circumstances.

Comment

Congrats SB. Enjoy the adventure. I love where we live but a proper winter would be okay once in a while. Isn't over easy where you flip the egg and seal it, but keep the yoke runny? My US in-law demands eggs be cooked so hard they bounce. Is this common?

Comment

That is indeed hat over easy is

There are 350 million residents of this country. Tens of millions have horrible food takes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X