Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, potentially moving to New England, then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someday, someone in a film is going to ask for eggs over hard (presumably as a signifier that they're a psychopath). Treibeis will freak out when he discovers there's more than one way of getting your egg over.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      Someday, someone in a film is going to ask for eggs over hard (presumably as a signifier that they're a psychopath). Treibeis will freak out when he discovers there's more than one way of getting your egg over.
      No. I've seen every North American film ever made. In none, not one, of them has anybody ever talked about "easy" eggs. It's always been "Louie, yeah", and then Harvey Keitel "got eggs". He never done no adjectives, not never.

Comment

I took a Greyhound from Montréal to Boston with the wife on the honeymoon. it was a quarter of the cost of flying, with less resultant hassle, and made for a great ersatz tour of Northern New England. You basically wind through all of Burlington and Montpelier (not hard to do there), and then go through Manchester as well before hitting the 495.

Really comfortable too, plus it had WiFi (which in 2012 with roaming charges and such was a huge bonus).

people thought I was crazy, but it ended up being a highlight of the trip.

Comment

I've never understood the eggs thing.

Comment

Eton is across the river from Windsor, strictly. And Eton College is in Eton.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              I've never understood the eggs thing.
              In what sense?

Comment

I think it's a combination of a lack of attention and the complete absence of any such egg business in my life. It just won't go in. These eggs don't exist for me.

Comment

Is there a decent train journey down the NE coast? I really hate buses but have a shameful pash for trains.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                    These eggs don't exist for me.
                    If you're ever in France, you should order yourself a single egg.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      Is there a decent train journey down the NE coast? I really hate buses but have a shameful pash for trains.
                      Not really.

Parts of the line between New York and Boston are along the coast, particularly West of New Haven and south of Providence, as are parts of the line from Boston to Portland, but neither is a proper coastal journey.

On the other hand, you would like the line from here to Albany, which has open views of the Hudson virtually all the way.

Comment

Are the inland journeys scenic? I'm imagining Scottish highland sized hills but with actual trees on em in the likes of NH and Vermont.

Comment

There's a train from Brunswick in Maine to Boston; and then from Boston there's the Acela all the way through Providence, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC. It's not fast by European standards, despite them describing it as an "express". I've done the Boston-NY part of it and it's fairly pleasant.

Oh, and as Ursus says, it's not really "coastal" in the sense of seeing the ocean all the way. But if you wanted to travel through the NE coastal cities, it works.

Comment

The Northern lines tend to be more scenic.

One goes through the Connecticut River Valley to Northern Vermont, another extends the Hudson Line along the shore of Lake Champlain to Montréal.

They are each very slow, however.

Comment

The 4 lines that go through the Scottish Highlands are pig slow (as is the commute from North county Dublin into the city, more annoyingly, if intermittently scenic), so I'd be used to that.

Comment

Nothing wrong with slow from time to time.

Comment

Not at all, if the view from the window is all that (and you're not going to be late for work cos your train is behind a fuckin DART).

Comment

Vote from the window shows your autocorrect is in election mode!

Comment

Hah! My Ninja editing skills got that corrected without an Edited by Amor de Cosmos message but!

Comment

Of course, though I have always thought that it is best to be prepared.

ursus minor and I once spent a late Autumn weekend taking the train north to Port Kent, New York, then a ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington, Vermont, spending the night in Burlington, then taking a cab to Essex Junction, Vermont before coming back home along the Connecticut River line. There were problems with the track in New Hampshire that added three hours to the return trip, but even in the best of circumstances that was going to be around seventeen hours on the train (not counting the ferry).

Absolutely up our street, but we like trains (recall that I recently took the overnight Lake Shore Limited back from Chicago just because I could).

Comment

How many miles was that at best 17 hour trip?

Comment

I mucked up my math; the scheduled time is 16 hours

New York to Port Kent is 300 miles and about 7 hours

Essex Junction to New York is 360 and about 9 hours

We basically spent most of the daylight hours of two consecutive days on the train, with an evening in Burlington in between.

Comment

Wow, that is really pretty slow.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                No. I've seen every North American film ever made. In none, not one, of them has anybody ever talked about "easy" eggs. It's always been "Louie, yeah", and then Harvey Keitel "got eggs". He never done no adjectives, not never.

Comment

Wow, that is really pretty slow.
                                                  New York - Chicago is three hours plus slower than it was in the 1930s behind a steam engine.

Comment

Dublin to Belfast is slower than in the 1920s.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X