Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The birthday paradox and how does it work on this board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The birthday paradox and how does it work on this board?

https://betterexplained.com/articles...thday-paradox/

If 23 of us post then there's evidently a 50% chance of two of us sharing a birthday.

I was born on June 6th.

Given that Football squads for international tournaments have settled realtively recently at 23 players, they form the perfect example data set of this 'paradox' (the wrong word, surely? There is nothing paradoxical about this particular statistical fact). For example, the squads at last year's Women's World Cup:- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019...rld_Cup_squads

Comment

And on why this boggles the mind - humans have a tendency to self-centre on hypotheticals like this. We tend to think of the situation as if there is a group of 23 and I'm part of it, then there is a 50% chance of someone sharing a birthday with me. But that isn't what is being said. It's any pair out of the 23. If you are part of the group, its much more likely to be two others who share the birthday.
      There are lots of possible pairs when you have that many individuals. 253 unique combinations, in fact. And when looked at like that, well, it's not much of a surprise that one of these unique combinations will share a random attribute which has a 1-in-365 chance.

Comment

I showed that this normally works at a couple of parties a few years ago (I'm a fun kind of guy) and won a fiver each time, to the astonishment of the people there.

Comment

My birthday is 25 November. No one else is allowed that birthday. If it's yours already, fuck off. Change it. That day is all about me.

Comment

Oh, and I'm not posting my birthday up online for this purpose. Sensitive personnel information and all that. I only input it when it's absolutely neccesary.

Comment

What Janik said. Sorry to be pedantic, but it's not really a "paradox". It's just a mathematical fact for which our intuition is not well-attuned.

Comment

I should have used inverted commas.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  Oh, and I'm not posting my birthday up online for this purpose. Sensitive personnel information and all that. I only input it when it's absolutely neccesary.
                  That's cool; I completely understand.

Comment

We can already tell from that post that you're clearly a Libra

Comment

I share my birthday with Jose Mourinho. Does he post on here?

Comment

I know that I share mine with another poster fwiw.

Comment

You lot count yourselves lucky - I had to share mine with my dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            You lot count yourselves lucky - I had to share mine with my dad.
                            That must have been hard for your mum and your 21 siblings.

Comment

Ha - just the one sibling. And her birthday falls four days later.

My mother's - obviously - was bang in between.

Comment

We would also be interested to learn your mother's maiden name, the name of your first pet, your childhood nickname...

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  https://betterexplained.com/articles...thday-paradox/

If 23 of us post then there's evidently a 50% chance of two of us sharing a birthday.

I was born on June 6th.
                                  That link reminded me - when did people start saying "a tad bit"?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

That link reminded me - when did people start saying "a tad bit"?
                                    Do people say that? Eurgh.

Comment

ikr

Comment

Do I need to share my H.P. Lovecraft/Joe Pasquale quip again? It seems I've dragged it out every August the 20th since I joined.

Comment

As long as you don't add your first pet's name, your favourite meal and the three digits on the back of your bank card, I think you're fine.

Comment

In similar using maths and stuff to win bets, I won a sweepstakes at a wedding for guessing the length of the best man's speech by doing that wisdom of crowds thing where you get the average of all guesses. Works a treat.

Comment

Doesn't it require you to go late in the sequence?

Comment

Mine is June 6 also.

(it isn't)

Comment

I generated 10 sets each of 23 random birthdays in the same year. One set had a pair with shared date, another 2 such pairs, and the other 8 none at all

Comment

Working...
                                                  X