Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1257636074500886530?s=21

Comment

They still need a couple more to get them over the line, it doesn't look like Labour or the Social Democrats are biting so the usual single issue independents will be shoe horned in. At least the opposition will be nearly 100% left or left leaning, so the public should have a proper choice next time.

Comment

Don't count on the greens too quickly. You're getting a lot of this bullshit among them. Read the thread backwards.

[URL="https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/status/1257367543544713217"]https://twitter.com/LornaBogue/statu...67543544713217[/URL]

Never, ever trust anyone who uses the term Neo-liberal in a political statement rather than saying exactly what they mean. They are not to be trusted and are not there for an argument, or a policy discussion, they are there to 'cancel' their opposition.

What you are seeing there is someone who has spent the last 20 years working for Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth being called a Neo-liberal because they said "I'm with you 100%, now what is your plan for ending direct provision beyond saying it is bad.". Apparently having a plan that extends beyond a killer slogan is neo-liberal. There's a lot of people in the Green party who have the same diseased thinking that effectively destroyed the Labour party in the UK over the last four years. Attention seeking narcissists seeking attention by making ever shriller statements to ever smaller groups of the already converted that have less and less connection with external reality, and have more to do with demonstrating ideological purity. That tweet by Lorna bogue could just as well have been written by an obnoxious gobshite like bastani or blakeley.

Comment

Bewley's to close down permanently. Bled dry by Johnny Ronan.

How did Bewley's not own their own premises after being in there for god knows how long?
          Last edited by anton pulisov; 07-05-2020, 00:09.

Comment

Bewley's have gone through half a dozen takeovers and rescue packages in the last 30 years. I've worked in Dublin city centre since 1985, and within walking distance of Bewley's on Grafton street for most of the last twenty years, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I was in the place. Like Clerys department store before it, unfortunately much loved but little used.

Comment

I was last in before the serial chancer behind cafe bar deli/a million failed bars took it over, so that must be before the last crash. The food was Kylemore Cafe levels of awful for twice the price.

Comment

I loved going in there as a kid, but back then it was more or less the only place in ireland where you could get coffee made from roasted beans. I used to go inside the door with my dad, and inhale the smell, which for some reason had absolutely nothing to do with the taste. They did have amazing chocolate eclairs.I'm fairly certain that I haven't been in there this century.

Thing is that there are at least two places now that make coffee out of beans, rather than instant, so they have rather lost their USP. At some point though we are going to have to sit down and have a long discussion with ourselves about balancing the rights of people who own commercial property, to suck every last drop of life out of all economic activity, and the right of everyone else to have some sort of functioning cityscape.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                  I loved going in there as a kid, but back then it was more or less the only place in ireland where you could get coffee made from roasted beans. I used to go inside the door with my dad, and inhale the smell, which for some reason had absolutely nothing to do with the taste. They did have amazing chocolate eclairs.I'm fairly certain that I haven't been in there this century.

Thing is that there are at least two places now that make coffee out of beans, rather than instant, so they have rather lost their USP. At some point though we are going to have to sit down and have a long discussion with ourselves about balancing the rights of people who own commercial property, to suck every last drop of life out of all economic activity, and the right of everyone else to have some sort of functioning cityscape.
                  Agreed, but it's not going to happen while the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of Laissez faire economics are in power.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1258379994272862211

Comment

Are there others, beside the leader?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        Are there others, beside the leader?
                        A few county councillors, but only Tóibín as an actual TD.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SocDems/status/1260654181167198208

On the one hand, Health was theirs for the taking, but on the other I can't see them having had much impact in the FF-FG sandwich, even with the Greens.

Comment

Centre justified text, no way I'm gonna read that

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                              Centre justified text, no way I'm gonna read that

You can't say "centre justified" on OTF, mate.

Comment

I cross 'em, you tap 'em in

Comment

It is terrible, though, isn't it? What were they thinking?

Comment

The General Election was on 8/2/20, today amazingly there is still a Vote Varadkar poster on the Navan Road!

Comment

Is there going to be a government?

Comment

Not looking likely at the moment.

Comment

Probably mid-June.

Comment

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1269348719884984320

Comment

The ecologically sound clown car rolls on.

Comment

Presumably rumblings within FF, with Jim O'Callaghan the likeliest candidate:

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1269365976082141185

Comment

Current Green party deputy leader Catherine Martin says a deal is likely on the formation of a government this weekend. No sign of leader Eamon Ryan , who may be sidelined after his unfortunate choice of words during the week.

Comment

So does the deal get agreed and the Green membership vote it down or does this have a chance?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X