• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Maybe I didn't understand you, then

I thought the question was whether it was a leading role

No, any initial role at all.

The Republic just seems to leave it to the political parties to work it out themselves after a GE which suggests a lot more faith in their ability to act honourably and honestly that I'd afford any national politicians, in whatever country.

Comment

But a similar process is often what at least informs (and can determine) the head of state's "choice" in other countries.

It doesn't serve anyone's interests for the head of state to launch a process that has no chance of success.

Countries with PR encourage more "adult" behaviour because coalitions are so common.

Comment

Well normally one party is bigger than the others so it's not really very contentious. This is kind of new territory for us. The aftermath of the 2016 election was weird as well. No-one really knows what is going to happen.

We've had one election which gave a single party an overall majority in the last 50 years. We've had a very long time to get used to this general sort of carry on though.

Comment

The Dutch King names some kind of retired politician as a go-between ("the informateur") who talks to all the different parties and comes back to the King with a report about who wants to work with who. King then tells the informateur to proceed with the viable option. The main function of the informateur in modern politics seems to be to provide the party heads with a device for deflection when the media asks about government formation, with answers like, "I can't comment, we've been in discussion with the informateur and he knows our position. We will see what is decided." In reality, of course, the parties are talking to each other like how they are in Ireland.

Comment

But a similar process is often what at least informs (and can determine) the head of state's "choice" in other countries.

It doesn't serve anyone's interests for the head of state to launch a process that has no chance of success.

Countries with PR encourage more "adult" behaviour because coalitions are so common.

Well, if the head of state is talking an active, initial role you would assume that their actions would be informed by the national constitution or conventions and that either would indicate the order in which party leaders were invited to try to form a government and the processes and timescales involved. Selecting the leader of the party with most seats, invariably the most logical course of action, to try first would in most cases afford the greatest likelihood of success, I'd have thought, other than when there were other parties of a similar ideological bent with the aggregate numbers to form an administration.

If the absence of a higher point of coordination is unnecessary I tip my hat the maturity of the political process. I just find it a little surprising.

Comment

That might be because that you grew up in a political culture that takes its cues from public schools and elite university politics.

Comment

https://twitter.com/harrymcgee/status/1227990876749729793

Comment

Them Greens

Comment

That's one rickety structure, and when it falls, Sinn Fein will clean up

Comment

Yep. I can only think that Martin is pretending that he's trying to do it, and will then go in with SF after, and can say he tried everything else.

FF's DNA is to go the way the popular wind is blowing and cannibalise their coalition partner in the process. Surely they will do the same to SF.

Comment

They haven't had to work with a party this large before, and they need either the greens, or SD and Labour,to get a majority over the line.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                          They haven't had to work with a party this large before, and they need either the greens, or SD and Labour,to get a majority over the line.
                          The very reason SD stayed out in 2016 still applies, in that they're still building themselves up, and wouldn't recover. I suspect Ryan would go in with anyone for a sniff of power, though.

Comment

It's not like the Greens don't have previous...

Comment

The fix is on:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1228027066211282947

Comment

I've never really understood why "another election" is such a terrible thing. But it clearly is to very many people.

Comment

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1227982756141043713

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                    I've never really understood why "another election" is such a terrible thing. But it clearly is to very many people.
                                    Not at all - we had three in 18 months during the early Eighties.

Comment

Given that SF got 37 seats with fewer than 50 candidates, it isn't hard to see why FG and FF aren't eager to go back to the electorate

Comment

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1228026490886946816

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Not at all - we had three in 18 months during the early Eighties.
                                          I was thinking more generally, in many countries, when there's a tight result the big bogeyman is "another election". Always struck me as odd. Three in 18 months seems fine if that's what's needed.

Of course you can see why FF / FG don't want another election, for sure. It's interesting to follow.

Comment

Thankfully, the Soc Dems are wise to the ruse:

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1228048335354941440

Comment

https://twitter.com/REDCResearch/status/1228819772269301761

Even with the corrected figures, clear that more voters prefer SF involvement than FF-FG.
                                              Last edited by Diable Rouge; 15-02-2020, 23:30.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1228824737566072833

Comment

Has Ryan said much about these rumors?

RIP Caroline Flack btw. I'd not previously heard of her

Comment

Fucking hell, that top headline is something else. the dividing line between Daily mail journalists, and people who look up the timing of funerals to plan their burglaries, grows ever thinner.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X