Suggest my brother’s present for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggest my brother’s present for me

Big bruv hits 60 next week and his offspring have arranged a surprise party for him.

Not easy to please present wise - he is retired and quite large so apart from dog walking tends to sit at home noodling on guitar or piano or (especially) binge-watching box sets (which he downloads, mainly).
    His musical tastes are completely fixed around a Beatles/Billy Joel/Supertramp and especially Elton axis (I tried over the years to buy him new things he ought to like or rarities from the same era- he didn’t like Brian Wilson/Beach Boys it turns out...).

So my idea was to get a companion book to all the HBO/‘quality tv’ he likes (I have colleagues who teach it so maybe even a good academic tome) plus a box set from left field/that I’m sure he won’t have seen.

That fell down flat as my choice for the latter, Counterpart, is vbizarrely only available from NZ/Aus...
    To compound the problem my sister is now relying on me for ideas or a possible bigger joint pressie...

All ideas (inc for sources of dvds I might not have thought of) gratefully received

Not sure what your budget is but the Lego model of the house from Stranger Things is an exceptionally clever build and you can flip it to show the Upside Down. (It will also retain its value if he gets bored of it and decides to sell it on)

Comment

There's a box set of all the Beatles 7" singles out.

He might also like the new Elton John bio. I got it for Xmas, but Fräulein Pepys has pinched it.

Comment

He’ll definitely have got the bio for Xmas. The box set is an option, thanks. Not sure about the Lego...
        Realised the Counterpart dvd is simply not available in region 2. “ Fringe” full box set on the other hand...
        Budget 30-50; double if sister chips in

Comment

So the Beatles set is actually vinyl, unlike my Buzzcocks cd one- probably not, then.If only cos I have to get it up there by train.

Am now thinking (if it’s just me) that I will throw weird and unusual films of 2019 at him: High Life; Border; Burning and In Fabric

Comment

I did that in the end and he seemed pleased- added the full box set Blu-ray of “Fringe” which I knew he loved

Comment

Working...
            X