The 2020 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent. Great start there, mate.

Portion control is very important but so is an appreciation of the calorific content of our food and meals. I'm always being surprised by the latter.

​​​​​​​I think I posted upthread about my surprise at how much (semi-skimmed) milk I drink and the associated calorie count. I checked my breakfast recently: cereals from the healthier end of the spectrum, milk and no sugar. It came in at almost 800 calories.

Comment

Does anyone other than me have to lie to themselves to do exercise? I'm currently going to an intense exercise in the park class every Monday evening, but to get myself to go there, my thought process has to go something like this. First, I say I'm not actually going to the class, I'm just going to put my exercise clothes on but really I'll stay at home. Then I persuade myself that it's ok, I'll leave the house, but I won't go to the exercise class, I'll actually stop at McDonald's and eat a chocolate muffin. Then when I get to McDonald's I walk past and persuade myself, it's ok, I'll walk slowly so I won't get to the class on time and I'll go to the cafe in Waitrose and get myself a treat. Then I get to the class on time and say, oh well, I'm here now, I might as well start the class, I can always stop halfway through if it's too much, and I end up doing the whole class. And I know I'm lying to myself every step of the way, but it's the only way to get me to go.

Comment

Maybe I need to try that. Once it's routine I'm pretty good about it, but the second anything stops the routine it's extremely hard to start up again, as I just keep thinking of procrastinating excuses (I have to get this work project done, some dishes need washing, I need a shave and I have an early meeting etc etc etc). I don't even usually do the thing that's "keeping" me from exercising, either.

Comment

Before we moved a few years back I found group classes guilted me into going. We had a great instructor and lovely group of people and that feeling of letting "them" down worked better than self-loathing. I'd love to get back into a similar group here as I hate the gym on my own and have not gone back since the COVID enforced lockdown. Weight wise I'm doing okay - hovering around 90kg which isn't great, but better than 105kg about a year ago. Off on holiday later this week so that could be bad news.

Comment

My weight has been creeping up in the last few weeks, though not as yet substantially so. It's been so wet and cold and dreary outside that my activity levels have been quite low and peanut butter-based snacking in the late evening fairly relentless. So, I've resolved to try to get back into lengthy afternoon or evening strolls and clamp down on the evening eating.

Comment

Under 13st, for today at least, for the first time in years. All thanks to no breakfast during the week, low fat sandwiches, popcorn and Fibre One bars at lunch, a proper tea and maybe a couple of biscuits after it, but nothing after 8pm. Probably not altogether healthy but I won't mind when I'm wearing 32" waist jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                Does anyone other than me have to lie to themselves to do exercise? I'm currently going to an intense exercise in the park class every Monday evening, but to get myself to go there, my thought process has to go something like this. First, I say I'm not actually going to the class, I'm just going to put my exercise clothes on but really I'll stay at home. Then I persuade myself that it's ok, I'll leave the house, but I won't go to the exercise class, I'll actually stop at McDonald's and eat a chocolate muffin. Then when I get to McDonald's I walk past and persuade myself, it's ok, I'll walk slowly so I won't get to the class on time and I'll go to the cafe in Waitrose and get myself a treat. Then I get to the class on time and say, oh well, I'm here now, I might as well start the class, I can always stop halfway through if it's too much, and I end up doing the whole class. And I know I'm lying to myself every step of the way, but it's the only way to get me to go.
                I recognise a bit of this, but only in specific circumstances. Basically if I know the exercise in question is going to really push me, then I do the whole "Am I going, am I not? Just because I'm putting my shorts on doesn't mean I have to go through with it. And if I feel a twinge I will stop immediately" thing as I get ready. Like with Balders it works, and in the end I've gone through with that planned bit of exercise every time.

Seeing as I've been away from this thread for a while, an update - my weight has hovered around 70kg for pretty well the last two months. That is where it appears to have stabilised. And my appetite is down so I'm full on smaller portions these days, which I think is why it seems stable. The last test of how fixed that new body shape is will come if (likely when) I get injured and can't exercise as much (I'm still doing something six days out of seven, although that has been true for years).

Comment

After ending back to square one weight wise, it was time to get some discipline back in my life. No eating out, no invite to eat or people coming around for tea for a while so an ideal time. We have deliveries from Simply Cook and Gousto to keep our menu varied.

Otherwise, back to basics, calories counting, increased activity, aiming for a 2000 intake/2500 burn daily that will reduce as my weight goes down. First week completed.

Feeling much better mentally, a pang if hunger is a reminder that I finally got control on my stomach again. No day off until I am back to 85, I have tied up my levelling off time to spring 21 and my, hopefully, driving license and ease off of Covid restrictions...

Comment

Well, that's one kilo zapped out...onwards and downwards!

Comment

I was going to ask if anyone knew anything about weight loss during cold weather. I've noticed that, as my activity levels drop off and my food consumption increases during the colder months, my weight doesn't necessarily shoot up, as long as the extra eating is restrained. I've assumed that the reason is that my body is burning off more fat to keep warm but thought I'd better check it out. In the course of my inquiry I came across the subject of "brown" or "beige" fat, which is a new one on me: https://patient.info/news-and-featur...st-weight-loss

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                        Evening everyone. Just checking in because I weighed myself today and I've turned into a right fat bastard.

I've hit 17 stone, which is the heaviest I've ever been. I'm 6'3 so I can carry it, and vanity plus a penchant for slim fit shirts means I walk around sucking my gut in all day, so it's not that noticable until I breathe out at the end of a shift, but this is in danger of escalating so it's time to do something about it.

My ideal target is 15, but that's probably pie (hmmm, pie) in the sky, so I'll aim for 15 and a half to 16 for now.

I live above work, so exercise is really limited for me. Things aren't helped by being dead lazy with the gym an all, going occasionally and in bursts, and never really exercising hard while I'm there. Working funny hours at the pub often leads to me snaffling burgers or kebabs from next-door. If I can cut this out I'll drop weight easily. Discipline was never my strong point though.

I never used to put weight on, and if i did I'd lose it fairly easily. Inactivity is part of the issue, but the other aspect is I'm no longer a penniless. I can afford to eat, and eating makes me happy. So after years of only being able to eat what I could afford - discounted stuff, tins of chickpeas, rice, whatever, I can now pay to stuff amazing food down my mouth whenever I like. It's fucking great tbh. Plus I've gave up drugs a few years ago, so my artificially and chemically created waifish supermodel looks disappeared.

Drink is also an issue. I don't drink in the week as I run a pub and it's not a good habit to get into. But it means that when the weekend comes I smash beer. Cram a week's consumption into three days. It's pointless rationing myself if I soak myself in suddy, hoppy calories all weekend instead. Plus I tan fizzy drinks, which is basically like drinking a pint of lardy cake.

So the diet started today. I've got a three point plan to lose weight, and it goes like this.

1. Fix up
                        2. Look sharp
                        3. Stop being a lazy fat bastard

By putting this plan into action I'm confident I can lose weight, and if I do the missus says she'll buy me a new coat.
                        I'm under 15 stone now. The kebab shop next door being closed for 6 months has been a real bonus, diet-wise.

Comment

Well done mate, that's great.

At my heaviest during lockdown I was 13st 13lbs. I weighed myself this morning and I was 12st 12lbs. I started walking to work (3 miles) but walking home has never quite happened because I'm always knackered. I also tried to eat only between 12noon-8pm and am used to going without breakfast now.

Comment

Yes, good going EIM.

Comment

But am I happy?

When I get my new coat I will be, yes.

Comment

But am I happy?

When I get my new coat I will be, yes.
                                Might need some coat tips (though if you pitch that one that looked like it was made from cellophane I will pass). It is already freezing and snowing here.

Comment

I'm under 15 stone now. The kebab shop next door being closed for 6 months has been a real bonus, diet-wise.
                                  Have you thrown off the 'rona then youth?

Comment

Well done lad!

Comment

3.1 kgs lost since the 23rd of October.....going rather well! First target almost there!

Comment

Almost exactly 1kg/week. That is indeed going rather well. What is the next aim?
                                        Also belated big ups to EIM on shedding over 2 stone. Impressive work, lad.

Comment

I’m down to 12st 10lbs, lowest I’ve been in ages. Hoping I don’t pile it back on following redundancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                            Almost exactly 1kg/week. That is indeed going rather well. What is the next aim?
                                            Also belated big ups to EIM on shedding over 2 stone. Impressive work, lad.
                                            I set a realistic first target (85) so that I can see a result quickly enough. I am ahead of schedule (target date was last weekend in November) being now 85.3.

Once reached my next target is 80. That will take longer, as I plan a break from calories controls during the end of year holidays. Fingers crossed my Snowdonia break goes ahead as I will be able to burn a lot more through hiking and reduce damage. Back on it 2nd of January, target date, end of February.

After that....

Comment

Absolutely delighted to be back on the counting btw, gave me back structure to my life, improved my general mental health as well as feeling better overall. I felt like losing control of my life, with all that Covid shit going around.

Comment

Well done EIM, Janik, MS and Giggler. Good to see success.

I'm 12 weeks in and 12.2kg down - at 114.8kg now. 9.6% of original body weight lost so on track for where I want to be but still significant time to go.

84 days of tracking intake every day - exercise has been centred on steps. As my weight comes down, I need to remember that my calorie budget also comes down. The app I'm using does help with an autopilot feature on that.

Things that are working well are daily weighing - it focuses me on what I'm trying to do each morning, use of weighing scales for portion control and having little treats (ice lollies, Skyr and occasional bigger treats). Room for improvement on balancing exercise and additional calories.

Comment

I jumped on the scales today, first time in many months.

Oops.

Comment

Not posted for ages. Still battling that final couple of kilos. Joined an early morning boot camp, so three days a week I'm doing squats and lunges and such like, which make me ache in ways and places I did not know were possible. Bemusingly, the instructor is (like me) a Scot, and hails from Paisley, just up the road from where I was born and raised.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X