The 2020 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janik View Post
    Just went for a run for the first time possibly ever. So not my sport... but all of those are not possible at the moment. Also very aware of a BMI of 27 or so, which is a minor but real factor in survival chances (and not just COVID-19 ones). Only about 1 mile for a first go, but with some hills in it (carefully placed at the start of the course). Did it in 8m51, no stops along the way apart from making space for a woman and a dog. Clearly I need a longer course in future.

Now to grab a shower and head back to work.
    8:51 for someone who does not run is pretty good Janik. You must have a decent base level of fitness.

Comment

By 'run', I don't jog or anything like that. I kind of hate it. But I do play lots of sport, nearly daily. Or rather I did up until a week last Saturday...
      I was and am hugely missing being active, and was finding brisks walks didn't get the required level of sweat up. So I got rather concerned about pilling weight on, hence biting the bullet to go for a run. The canine bit of my personality that is only motivated to keep running if there is a ball or similar object to chase after has to go into it's kennel for a few weeks/months.

Comment

Friday is weigh-in day. Having been sitting at home on my bum most of the week this won't go well. My wife, similarly apprehensive, has suggested we take a quick 5KM run prior to this morning's weigh-in.

Comment

After a period of doing nothing, except eating badly and drinking, my weight went up over the 15 stone barrier to around 15st 4lb. Then the lockdown was announced on a week which I'd already booked off from work. One period of exercise a day allowed and no unnecessary shopping (and with my asthma my wife has banned me from going to the shops full stop). Gorgeous weather this week in South Yorkshire.

Result. Dogs walked for 2 hours each day over the fields where I live. No alcohol, no crisps, no late night eating. Scales today read 14st 12lb and hoping that another few weeks of lockdown will see me hit my ideal weight of 13st 12lb. Have to say that am feeling better for it too.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
            After a period of doing nothing, except eating badly and drinking, my weight went up over the 15 stone barrier to around 15st 4lb. Then the lockdown was announced on a week which I'd already booked off from work. One period of exercise a day allowed and no unnecessary shopping (and with my asthma my wife has banned me from going to the shops full stop). Gorgeous weather this week in South Yorkshire.

Result. Dogs walked for 2 hours each day over the fields where I live. No alcohol, no crisps, no late night eating. Scales today read 14st 12lb and hoping that another few weeks of lockdown will see me hit my ideal weight of 13st 12lb. Have to say that am feeling better for it too.
            That's fantastic news, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
              Friday is weigh-in day. Having been sitting at home on my bum most of the week this won't go well. My wife, similarly apprehensive, has suggested we take a quick 5KM run prior to this morning's weigh-in.
              Weight unchanged. 93.7KG.

Target is 89.9KG.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                Well done Janik, it gets better....honestly.
                Well it was certainly quicker today (yesterday). Down to 8m18, again with one brief dog-walker enforced stop. The time reduction probably mostly down to not being in the dark about how it would feel so not needing to hold back as much. Even going quicker I clearly wasn’t all out as at the end I had more to give. So I scoped out the longer course I had in mind, but untimed and at jogging pace. And in the reverse direction. Will start doing that one on the clock tomorrow. Not sure how the ~200-300 yard long uphill at ~1.5 miles in is going to go...

Comment

Combination of Covid 19 (opportunity), Janik (motivation) and guilt (after eating badly last night) saw me venture into the garage for a workout today. Ouch.

Comment

Apologies in advance that I appear to be going 100% running geek on you guys. Sorry. Feel free to skip if this isn't the sort of thing you want to hear.

But having bothered finding a website that can figure this sort of stuff out, I am oddly compelled to share. Strava et al were bloody good ideas (it wasn't Strava I used).

So, I moved on to the new run today. 2.54km in length apparently compared to the 1.55km that the previous loop maps out at. I thought that was very close to a mile (1.56 and 0.96 for those who can't be bothered to convert). Initial set time on the longer run is 14m18. Which is OK I think especially as these runs are far from flat. The shorter one has 37.7m of rise, 17.3m in the first 450m (grade of 3-4%) and 20.4m in the last 500m (grades 3-5%). Today's loop included 51.5m of rise, the same bit at the start and then 34.2m between 1.40 and 2.24km (i.e. over 840m) including one 330m section with a grade apparently of 8% (most of the rest of that at 2-4%). The internal monologue had become a dialogue during that "Oh, come on, stop and walk for a bit" "No, its just a bit further, do it, DO IT" - I managed just about.

I'm obviously not good at estimating steepness as I could have sworn the highest grade bit of my run was the first section. I'm somewhat dubious of the mapping data, then. However I should rely on it because looking online about injuries with running downhill too regularly, I need to alternate with a much flatter course, apparently. Boo!

Comment

It has been a catastrophy in recent weeks...

Takeaway ban now in place, missus bought us a top spin bike (18kgs wheel!) and yoga daily routine starting on 1st of April!

Comment

Ugh. The combination of sitting at home more often, being less stressed, ready access to food and possibly consumption of gluten has seen me bounce up 1.5 kgs, to a portly 82.5.

Still, I know I can get it off again once normal service is resumed, and I have managed to force myself into mild athletic activity over the last couple of days, so let's not panic.

** PANICS **

Comment

My scales are out of sight....

Comment

My scales might break if I got on them.

Comment

Keep it up Janik.

My sore Calf and hamstrings are holding me back with running distances and times so instead of doing a single long run I have been doing multiple 3 mile runs. Yesterday I did 3 miles in the morning as I woke up pretty stiff and took me a mile to loosen up. Did a quicker 3 miler in the afternoon and didn't feel tired so did another loop after a 3-5 minute stretch.
                              I use sports tracker. Times below for the last few days

Comment

Status update

Week ending Weight (kg) Walked (km) Climbed (flights of stairs)
                                Jan 05 78.7 056 059
                                Jan 12 78.5 078 145
                                Jan 19 78.3 100 159
                                Jan 26 77.4 104 165
                                Feb 02 76.7 112 146
                                Feb 09 76.4 067 163
                                Feb 16 78.2 075 038
                                Feb 23 77.8 088 132
                                Mar 01 77.7 053 136
                                Mar 08 77.6 076 167
                                Mar 15 76.6 100 105
                                Mar 22 76.8 122 045
                                Mar 29 77.0 124 039

I'm missing the stairs at work. Fortunately the weather has been fantastic, so I'm walking a lot. Long may this continue.

I keep bouncing around the low 77, high 76 kgs. Sometimes I dip below that, but then I gorge on some lovely homecooked food and we're back up to this level again. I wonder if I'm setting an unrealistic goal; maybe this is the natural state of my body.

Comment

Been doing six to nine miles per day and now started home workouts with my nephew.
                                  luckily I still have scaffolding up in my back garden so using that for pull ups.

Comment

My toes are beginning to feel recovered so went for my first run in probably nine months today. I managed just over a mile (in my marginal defense, there's no flat route from home). I'm reminded why running is good for me - I was more exhausted and my legs more tired after 12 minutes of running than they are after 50 miles on the bike. I get a cardio workout so much fast from running, even if I get no joy from it.

Comment

Before the Lockdown I was playing tennis once a week and averaging maybe two gym sessions mostly on the rowing machine a week.

My weight was fairly steady at about 16.5 stone. Way too high even for 6 foot. I’m too thin at 12 stone, 12.5 would be about perfect. So I’m 4 fucking stone overweight.

Since the Lockdown I’m walking around 8k a day and am doing free weight sessions every second day. I did weights a lot 20 years ago so I know the routines and I’m easing myself into it but I will say this

**********LISTEN UP ************

I don’t particularly like doing the weights but I feel really, really good afterwards and the feeling stays for the rest of the day. Maybe people are different in what gets their endorphins going but the weights work for me.

I do quite high reps of relatively low weights which burns fat and loses weight rather than low reps of high weights which builds bulk.

The last time I got really fit on the weights I was playing centre forward and was really fit but also really strong. Centre halves were bouncing off me and backing off me which gave me room to play.

I also found that knowing I was strong made me more confident in everyday life.

Anyway I’m getting right back into it and hope I can keep this up.

Recommend you give it a go too!

Comment

So, that's the first quarter gone. I started the year at 13st 7 3/4lbs and I managed to dip below the 13st mark a few weeks ago. Currently 12st 13 1/2lbs. I'd set myself the rather ambitious target of 12st by the middle of the year, a weight well within the healthy weight range for my height, but I think I'll be content to just make 12-and-a-half by then.

I still need to sort some sort of an exercise programme out for myself. It's been just power walking so far, but I've got an exercise cycle, some free weights lying around the place and plenty of room to do some routines.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post

I do quite high reps of relatively low weights which burns fat and loses weight rather than low reps of high weights which builds bulk.
                                          This isn't true.

Comment

Comment

This should help....

Comment

You'll probably burn off a load of calories just getting it out of the box and assembled!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                  Is it going to be in your conservatory?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                                    That's a nice chessboard you have there. Have we ever welcomed you on the OTF chess tournaments thread? Feel free to drop by.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X