No announcement yet.

The 2020 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I think I did have to wear it at the start of the process to enable my dad to mark where the hole was going to be. I don't remember being particularly scared but a 6ft 3in soldier coming at you with a large fork wasn't the most comfortable feeling in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

We should do a top 10 of gym stuff we see that pisses us off.
      For me it's all gurning meatheads hogging equipment and staring at their massive biceps in the mirror and looking scornfully at anyone who has the temerity to use the free weights who is not a gurning methead. The gurning meatheads, of course, taking 5 minutes between sets of bicep curls but making sure that nobody can get a bench or a bar in the mean time.

I had an attack bike experience today - it's testing week in the gym to determine what our 100% max is for various lifts, and they're adding some extra challenge tests. Today's was a one minute max on the attack bike. I managed to "burn" 28.8 calories in my 60 seconds. Absolutely utterly redlined and couldn't stand afterwards. Got home and consumed about 20 times as many calories as that nominal 28.8 in order just to feel vaguely human again. It was a satisfying challenge but utterly useless for calorie counting.

Comment

For me it's exercise.

Comment

There are certain advantages to having a gym in one's building, where the average age of users is well over 60 and the facility is often empty.

Comment

I tell myself the gym is needed to help with far more interesting stuff (climbing) than pumping iron for the sake of big guns...

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post

Hey TG. I'm 56 though I believe the nearest we came to meeting was Spurs v Port Vale in 2006 when we were in adjacent stands.

I fast until 1pm. Ive been doing that for about 15 months. According to the scales at my gym I'm 17% fat (9% visceral). My muscle (12%) hasn't changed in two years despite me training at least twice a week.

Ok, So at your age you have much lower testosterone levels than you did in your late 20's (how much depends on genetics, diet and lifestyle). This will affect you ability to put on and retain muscle. I would strongly suggest resistance training, it will help maintain bone density (important as we get older) and help maintain body muscle. 17% body fat is pretty low (if accurate).

Comment

I reckon the (semi-local authority) gym I go to is perhaps the most diverse place I go each week. All ages. All races. All abilities. It's much more diverse than the office building I'm in. I find it one of the least macho places too, in that the blokes there don't generally seem to want to judge you, they're doing their own thing. When I left the gym at about 10am this morning I was I think the youngest person in there, out of about 15-20 people.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                  I had an attack bike experience today - it's testing week in the gym to determine what our 100% max is for various lifts, and they're adding some extra challenge tests. Today's was a one minute max on the attack bike. I managed to "burn" 28.8 calories in my 60 seconds. Absolutely utterly redlined and couldn't stand afterwards. Got home and consumed about 20 times as many calories as that nominal 28.8 in order just to feel vaguely human again. It was a satisfying challenge but utterly useless for calorie counting.
                  The Devil's Tricycle. They have a wonderful exponential resistance that makes you question life.

Comment

I lost another pound this week. And am, of course, celebrating with a McDonald's breakfast that I will then spend the rest of the week trying to counteract.
                    ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                      I lost another pound this week. And am, of course, celebrating with a McDonald's breakfast that I will then spend the rest of the week trying to counteract.
                      ​​​​
                      My wife uses her allocation over a week hence until Wednesday she was very low then yesterday she was in London for a conference so drinks and buffet then she is back today and back on low cals but over the week it averages out

Comment

I'm weighing in at 16st 2, which isn't bad. I am however hungry, tired, miserable, and I've strained my groin muscle exercising.

Comment

humblebrag

Comment

Just a brag, really

Comment

Not going to be a great week, this week. I had a third of a munchy box from the Chinese on Wednesday night - even a confirmed takeaway lover like me couldn't get any further into the salty mess - and we've had a 'cook-off' in the office today so I've sampled many different sweet and savoury delights.

Comment

I had a couple of peshwari naans at dinner yesterday and haven't eaten since out of sheer guilt.
                                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 14-02-2020, 17:09.

Comment

Naans over here are usually larger than the platter on which they are served. Are they smaller in the UK?

Comment

Bad couple of weeks for me, 0.5kgs up which is a disappointment, though the time period did include three days of drinking too much, eating more than I had been and not exercising much at a conference in Barcelona. I had been relatively sensible, so the rise in weight feels harsh. One of those days when i have to tell myself not to give up. (Been good since I got back though, so hopefully can shed those extras soon)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Naans over here are usually larger than the platter on which they are served. Are they smaller in the UK?

The ones I ate were, though they still came in at almost 1,000 calories and high in both saturates & salt, which I only noticed afterwards. But I've seen some enormous naans in restaurants, especially balti houses where naans are the main accompaniment rather than rice.

When I went for my first ever balti in Birmingham in the early-90s, my cousin said that we should get a "medium" naan between the two of us. Having been used to the sort of naans that I'd come across in Indian restaurants in London, I queried this. Then a waiter walked past with a naan that must have been about 15 inches long. That, said my cousin, is a "small".

Comment

Down from 83.5 kg to 78.5 kg since New Year. One initial week on eating mostly calorie-free soup led to a 3 kg weight reduction, and staying away from alcohol, sugar, pasta and bread took care of the rest. I usually try to get below 80 kg at least once a year, so having that out of the way already by mid-February is satisfying.

Comment

So, finally back on climbing wall yesterday...went better than expected but I need working on my arms and grip. If I move fast, the legs do the work but any break in the flow or move that need a big reach are complicated by my puny arms muscles. Hand grip I can sort out at home watching telly, got little devices that do the trick.

A relaxed weekend food wise but kept my calories intake under my burns each day. Back on the hard stuff today...

Comment

boosted my weight loss approach by getting the inevitablw bout of food poisoning.

2 days of total abstinence and evacuation of all food material has seen me dip below 90kg.

not recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                              boosted my weight loss approach by getting the inevitablw bout of food poisoning.

2 days of total abstinence and evacuation of all food material has seen me dip below 90kg.

not recommended.
                                              Bah, you need a bout of Maleria, that will sort out any weight issues you have. However, like those USA drug commercials, it may lead to Organ failure, sudden death..............

The good thing about diarreoahh and throwing up is that it makes ones abs look great.

Comment

I've got a pressing issue. My son is getting married on 4th April and I really want to look better than I do now on the day. Not least because I want to get into the Italian suit I bought over a year ago. By "get into" I mean comfortably, without it looking like I've been shrink wrapped into it. It's a challenging goal.

I'm currently about 16st 4lb. I'm just under 6ft. So I'm way too big. I don't push myself hard enough at the gym and I love cheese on toast. The usual stuff. I have taken weight off recently (I must have been 17st ish a month ago) by vaguely watching what I eat - but not calorie counting - and going to cycle/spin classes where a young, fit Geordie bloke takes great pleasure in flogging old fat bastards like me for 45 minutes at a time. It hurts but I know that it's the only way I will ever push myself.

We fo go walking and that's great - it's why we came to the South Lakes after all - but my wife can't go at pace after her hip replacements and the walks turn into an extended pleasant stroll which is great, but it's not burning the calories.

So, by my reckoning about 45 days to go. I need to lose a stone at least. Hopefully more. The suit trousers are almost there but the jacket is (typically Italian) more fitted and I can't button it up right now. It's upper body where I need to shed the fat so that means weights work as well as aerobic.

I've cut out the beer but I have terrible issues with food. In as much as I like it too much.

I really need to do this, though. Those wedding photos will last a lifetime. It may seem like a shallow reason but it's the only one I've got right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                                                  For those starting off in the gym and wish to do cardio work, a good exercise I do is:

7.5 minutes on the rowing machine
                                                  7.5 minutes on the treadmill
                                                  7.5 minutes on the cross trainer
                                                  7.5 minutes on the exercise bike

For a total of 30 minutes, try to keep the transition from one exercise to another below one minute.

Intensity is not important, as you become more comfortable increase the distance, so for example if on day one you can only row 800m in 7.5 minutes, try and aim for 850m on day 2 and do this for all exercises. If you want to do an hour in total, do a second circuit of 5 minutes per exercise and maybe 5 minutes of Abs (see the AthleenX site for tips). Trust me, you will see a massive change in your fitness levels in a couple of weeks and a trimming of your waistline.
                                                  Just flipping back through this thread and I like the look of this. Seems achievable. I have to take into account that I'm nearly 63 and need to tailor my gym work accordingly.

Comment

Tony, a stone in 45 days mean you need to cut your calorie intake, a lot...it's feasible but you will have to zap a lot of things and be much stricter with yourself. Your motivation is a good as any.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X