No announcement yet.

The 2020 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am up 2lbs so far this year despite lots of exercise and almost no booze. I really need to cut back on the bread, butter and pasta.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Gotta say, I didn't necessarily envisage treibeis as being one of the most physically imposing people in his fucking city. These figures basically describe Rio Ferdinand since he took up boxing. This makes me wonder who are the people who chance their arm with his facilities?
      Seconded.

Also before this thread started my mental image of SB was that he was absolutely ripped. Evidently my subconscious has remembered all his posts about bike rides more than it has the ones about the stuff he eats. (No offence meant, SB, and my previous post of good luck and admiration for everyone on this thread was in earnest.)

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        I am up 2lbs so far this year despite lots of exercise and almost no booze. I really need to cut back on the bread, butter and pasta.
        Walked four miles yesterday, fruit, no chocolate, no booze, smaller tea than usual. Pound on this morning. FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Walked four miles yesterday, fruit, no chocolate, no booze, smaller tea than usual. Pound on this morning. FFS.
          Daily-taken stats are useless. Are the scales precise, for example? Weigh yourself weekly.

Comment

This makes me wonder who are the people who chance their arm with his facilities?
            Mostly young blokes who are off their face on drink and/or drugs. On the rare occasions that sober people misbehave, I assume they're either very stupid or they have skills (or weapons) that could do me some damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              Also before this thread started my mental image of SB was that he was absolutely ripped.
              You obviously don't remember his original username...

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Keep going, mate.

I think that one of the tricky things about losing weight is precisely understanding how many calories we put out when eating and drinking and how many we lose through daily activity and periods of exercise. I know that there are electronic aids to help us but I'm not sure how widespread their use is and how accurate they are. All I know is that whenever I've checked the label on an item of food for the calorie count I've usually discovered that it's more than I think and that, as per the guides, exercise burns off less. So I'm starting to become aware that if, for example, I go for a two-hour, brisk-ish walk on a cold day, good though that is, it doesn't allow me to come home and demolish an enormous meal. I might be able to have an extra potato or two, if that.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the rate of dehydration while sleeping is but after yesterday's disappointing reading on the scales I got up later today and appear to be down 1 3/4lbs in a day. Eating out tonight with friends though, which will be a severe test of my powers of self-control.
                Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 16-01-2020, 12:42.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  Not only "musclebound types". If you're got broad shoulders and big arms and big legs, then BMI tells you you're a fat bastard. I know this because I've got broad shoulders and big arms and big legs and BMI tells me I'm a fat bastard, even though I'm 6'3" with a 33-inch waist and have a BMI of 26.5.

The body fat thing is better, it must be.
                  26.5 is just a little bit overweight though.

BMI's fine as an approximation. It just breaks down at extremes (if you're quite emaciated or very muscular).

You'd have to be extremely muscular to fall into the 'obese' range by virtue of your muscle mass.

Comment

Thanks Nocturnal and Sporting. I agree that weighing oneself daily is futile and I will stick to weekly. but I was curious this morning. I'll learn to temper that curiosity. Keeping on.

Comment

I am weighing myself daily, but only drawing conclusions from the weekly average. The signal is too volatile to draw conclusions from a single measurement.

Comment

We should probably listen to the statistician. He might know something

Comment

We should probably listen to the statistician. He might know something
                          Is the statistician Wouter D? If so, he ought to factor in the thing about frikandel vending machines.

Comment

There is always a gap between theory and practice. A big enough gap to fit in a frikandel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              You obviously don't remember his original username...
                              I do not.

Comment

2 weeks check in, 3.2 kgs down. So far so good. It'll start slowing down now but if I keep doing what I'm doing then I'll get there

Comment

i think the cycling has shifted some weight off my arse, which was pretty skinny anyway. saddle is getting really uncomfortable.

suspect that having just got the shits i will get an unwanted weight loss boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                    i think the cycling has shifted some weight off my arse, which was pretty skinny anyway. saddle is getting really uncomfortable.
                                    Having similar issues with my saddle, too.

Comment

Do you chaps use padded undies when riding?

Comment

Yes sometimes 2 but it’s too hot for that over here. Any riding after about 11.30 is like riding in an oven.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          2 weeks check in, 3.2 kgs down. So far so good. It'll start slowing down now but if I keep doing what I'm doing then I'll get there

Very good.

Comment

Went to the gym today for the first time in two months. Always cheers me up. Didn't make it to slimming world on Friday due to a bid deadline I was scrabbling to meet, so I don't know if a week of eating cheesy courgette muffins has done any damage yet.

Comment

Monday morning is my defined weigh-in time, and I was 13st 8.5lbs this morning. That'll do.

Comment

Am I glad to see this thread! My trousers for work have been feeling snugger each Monday to the point that I've decided I have to do something.

I exercise a bit, running, walking the dog and 5 a side once a week but nothing like as much as I was a few years ago and the weight has crept on. I'm not a big boozer but love my food and my diet isn't the best. Losing 3 good friends to heart attacks in the last ten years (all aged between 48 & 52) should have concentrated my efforts, I'm 51, but they haven't.

I'm using this for motivation now. Good luck to everyone in their own journeys.

Comment

interesting how some are measuring in imperial and others in metric.

since going metric about 10 years ago ive lost all track of my imperial weight. are other equally comfortable with both systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                                                    interesting how some are measuring in imperial and others in metric.

since going metric about 10 years ago ive lost all track of my imperial weight. are other equally comfortable with both systems.
                                                    Much more comfortable with metric but if I have to use imperial I prefer stones and pounds rather than just pounds.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X