No announcement yet.

The 2020 OTF Weight Loss Intention & Mutual Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next redundancy, I am off to do a long distance trail for a month at least....

Comment

mines a sort of pre emptive attempt at redundancy. someone is covering my job and they might decide they can do without my amazing skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
        Taking extreme exercise route to losing the excess by cycling round Malaysia..
        I once did a jungle survival course/holiday, where I spent two weeks in Guyana. I think I lost six kilos in two weeks. Which says something about my hunting and fishing skills.

I do not, however, recommend this as a weight-loss strategy.

Comment

This is quite good: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51024034

And this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/w...ck-to/p07zqc7w

(I'll put the latter on the procrastination thread too.)

Comment

Good luck to everyone here who's fighting this battle. It's one that I'd be useless at, I suspect. I only get away with it due to an enviable metabolism.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

I once did a jungle survival course/holiday, where I spent two weeks in Guyana. I think I lost six kilos in two weeks. Which says something about my hunting and fishing skills.

I do not, however, recommend this as a weight-loss strategy.
              I once went on a Himalayan hiking holiday. Ten days to Annapurna base camp and back. Due to daily hiking, altitude and some sort of intestinal bug that had me vomiting off the side of the mountain for the last 6 days, I lost well over a stone. Again, probably not to be recommended. It did mean I obtained an almost immediate 'revenge body' after splitting up with my boyfriend.

Comment

Went to my new slimming world group this morning. I've put on 1.5 pounds since 11th December. Not terrible considering there's been Christmas in-between. But, I can't afford to put any more weight on. My triglycerides are higher than the 'very high' category, and I don't want to give myself a heart attack with all that swimming around in my arteries.

Comment

I've been all over the place trying to get work and stressing out over it, and comfort eating, so am surprised to find my clothes fitting a bit more loosely than over Christmas. Am starting work next week and will join a gym, but maybe not as fancy/expensive as my previous one.

Comment

I can lose a stone in a week on the gruel. It's mainly water though. I did 5 stone in 4 months a few years ago. Kept it off pretty well too, until my job went to shit around the same time as Brexit vote and my Nan dying and a three month gout attack. Then it came back with reinforcements.

Comment

I know that this is going to sound trite, but rather than an extreme approach would three evenly-spaced meals adding up to about 2,000 calories each day plus the odd brisk half-hour walk and the occasional trip to the gym or swimming pool be possible?

Comment

Nah. Before I lost the 5 stone, I was at the gym with a trainer twice a week, walking approx 5-15 miles a day depending on what I was up to and trying to watch what I ate (on my fitness pal for example) and I was still between 18 and 20 stone all the time. I might lose 4 or 5 pounds if I cut back to 1800 cals for a few weeks, but the loss would then stop and it'd go back on when I got bored of it.not working anymore.
                        Not for a few months either. I was with the trainer and walking like that for 5 or 6 years.
                        My body will do literally anything to hold onto fat. My whole maternal lineage are the same. Giving it proper pounding is the only thing that had ever worked.
                        I could get to 12 or 13 stone at a push, but to maintain it I'd need to basically starve myself and not drink any booze and exercise more than I'm comfortable with every day for the rest of my life. And I just don't have that kind of iron will.
                        Best I can hope for is not actually endangering my health long term. Some of us are just genetically predisposed to lard.
                        Last edited by hobbes; 11-01-2020, 00:38.

Comment

What a drag! Well, best of luck with whatever route you decide to take. This thread has already helped stiffen my resolve on a number of occasions so maybe using it to share your experiences and progress will help you too.

Comment

I'm very sympathetic to Hobbes's plight. Generally when I lose weight I bounce back (and usually more). My body has a weight at which it is comfortable - unfortunately, it's not a weight that makes exercise easy. Losing weight is often achievable, the really hard part is maintaining the new weight. And once you've failed to maintain it, motivation to lose a second (or third or nth) time is much harder to get.

Comment

Made a carrot, walnut and sultana cake with cream cheese icing for mother-in-law's birthday. Which inevitably means I'm going to eat too much of it.

Comment

I managed 1.4 kgs in my first week. That's reasonable, though I know that things tend to slow down after the first week or two of making a concerted effort.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  I managed 1.4 kgs in my first week. That's reasonable, though I know that things tend to slow down after the first week or two of making a concerted effort.
                                  Very true. I'm down to 13 5 1/2 today, which is OK but not earth-shattering. Need to up the exercise.

Comment

Doing slightly better this week. Upping my fruit and veg and protein intake. Reducing my carb intake. Small steps.

Comment

Evening everyone. Just checking in because I weighed myself today and I've turned into a right fat bastard.

I've hit 17 stone, which is the heaviest I've ever been. I'm 6'3 so I can carry it, and vanity plus a penchant for slim fit shirts means I walk around sucking my gut in all day, so it's not that noticable until I breathe out at the end of a shift, but this is in danger of escalating so it's time to do something about it.

My ideal target is 15, but that's probably pie (hmmm, pie) in the sky, so I'll aim for 15 and a half to 16 for now.

I live above work, so exercise is really limited for me. Things aren't helped by being dead lazy with the gym an all, going occasionally and in bursts, and never really exercising hard while I'm there. Working funny hours at the pub often leads to me snaffling burgers or kebabs from next-door. If I can cut this out I'll drop weight easily. Discipline was never my strong point though.

I never used to put weight on, and if i did I'd lose it fairly easily. Inactivity is part of the issue, but the other aspect is I'm no longer a penniless. I can afford to eat, and eating makes me happy. So after years of only being able to eat what I could afford - discounted stuff, tins of chickpeas, rice, whatever, I can now pay to stuff amazing food down my mouth whenever I like. It's fucking great tbh. Plus I've gave up drugs a few years ago, so my artificially and chemically created waifish supermodel looks disappeared.

Drink is also an issue. I don't drink in the week as I run a pub and it's not a good habit to get into. But it means that when the weekend comes I smash beer. Cram a week's consumption into three days. It's pointless rationing myself if I soak myself in suddy, hoppy calories all weekend instead. Plus I tan fizzy drinks, which is basically like drinking a pint of lardy cake.

So the diet started today. I've got a three point plan to lose weight, and it goes like this.

1. Fix up
                                      2. Look sharp
                                      3. Stop being a lazy fat bastard

By putting this plan into action I'm confident I can lose weight, and if I do the missus says she'll buy me a new coat.

Comment

It's gonna be a Canada Goose, innit.

Comment

I have fought this battle since my early 20s. I hit 130kg in my 30s. Got down as low as 85kg in my 40s. Then as high as 110kg two years ago. Now down to 99kg. I am little like Hobbes - I walk every day, gym twice a week. but even the slightest deviance food or exercise wise and weight piles on.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                            Evening everyone. Just checking in because I weighed myself today and I've turned into a right fat bastard.

I've hit 17 stone, which is the heaviest I've ever been. I'm 6'3 so I can carry it, and vanity plus a penchant for slim fit shirts means I walk around sucking my gut in all day, so it's not that noticable until I breathe out at the end of a shift, but this is in danger of escalating so it's time to do something about it.

My ideal target is 15, but that's probably pie (hmmm, pie) in the sky, so I'll aim for 15 and a half to 16 for now.

I live above work, so exercise is really limited for me. Things aren't helped by being dead lazy with the gym an all, going occasionally and in bursts, and never really exercising hard while I'm there. Working funny hours at the pub often leads to me snaffling burgers or kebabs from next-door. If I can cut this out I'll drop weight easily. Discipline was never my strong point though.

I never used to put weight on, and if i did I'd lose it fairly easily. Inactivity is part of the issue, but the other aspect is I'm no longer a penniless. I can afford to eat, and eating makes me happy. So after years of only being able to eat what I could afford - discounted stuff, tins of chickpeas, rice, whatever, I can now pay to stuff amazing food down my mouth whenever I like. It's fucking great tbh. Plus I've gave up drugs a few years ago, so my artificially and chemically created waifish supermodel looks disappeared.

Drink is also an issue. I don't drink in the week as I run a pub and it's not a good habit to get into. But it means that when the weekend comes I smash beer. Cram a week's consumption into three days. It's pointless rationing myself if I soak myself in suddy, hoppy calories all weekend instead. Plus I tan fizzy drinks, which is basically like drinking a pint of lardy cake.

So the diet started today. I've got a three point plan to lose weight, and it goes like this.

1. Fix up
                                            2. Look sharp
                                            3. Stop being a lazy fat bastard

By putting this plan into action I'm confident I can lose weight, and if I do the missus says she'll buy me a new coat.
                                            I am going to grab you by the neck one morning and drag you up Kinder Scout in your posh hiking gear...

Comment

Up 1lb in the last half-week! Gah! How did that happen? I'm only eating two meals a day! Maybe they contain more calories than I think they do but the foul weather of the last few days is more of a factor, I reckon. I haven't been able to fit any decent walks in. Bit of an odd reading though.

Still, I knew that the trajectory wouldn't always be downwards. I'm going to have to (literally) dust off the cycling machine and try to use it each day, especially when the weather's bad.

Comment

This morning, I split the zip on my only remaining smart work dress, (no gym for 2 months + Xmas = 1 stone heavier balderdasha, and women's clothing is unforgiving). At least it happened while I was at home and could change. So now I'm wearing the posh, floral dress that I usually wear to weddings which is not really appropriate for a work day but it fits and I don't have an alternative.

Bah humbug.

Comment

Plus I've gave up drugs a few years ago, so my artificially and chemically created waifish supermodel looks disappeared.
                                                  That never bloody worked for me.

Comment

Down to 82.2 from 83.5 on the 5th...just a shame I am off to Berlin tommorow until Sunday and interrupt the momentum....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X