X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive, indeed

Comment

lost 3.5kg.

have ridden 1200 km since 2nd jan so im not really worrying abot calories.

left malaysia yesterday and now head up east coadt of thailand. put in two long days.

Comment

Well, I've hit 86 kg on the 5:2 (having originally been 93 kg). Only two more kilos to go. Belly looking vaguely flat.

Only thing is, there's no consensus on what to do when you reach your target weight. Or whether your weight just plateaus.

There's something to this intermittent fasting though, if you ask me. Even if there isn't, this diet is far easier to manage than spending every day counting calories. Only downside is I that I get a bit hungry and grumpy late in the evening on fasting days, which is usually solved by going to bed early.

Comment

Right, so, this was the status on January 2:

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
          Weighed in at 77.7 kg this morning. Planning to drop to 75 kg; should be doable before Spring. Target goal for January: get below 76. The last kilo is the most difficult one.
          However, this turned out to be my hungover severely dehydrated and empty digestive tract weight. On January 3, the scales jumped to 79.9 kg. Because of the erraticness of the signal, I'm measuring weekly averages. This is the progression for January:
          Week ending Weight (kg) Walked (km) Climbed (flights of stairs)
          Jan 05 78.7 056 059
          Jan 12 78.5 078 145
          Jan 19 78.3 100 159
          Jan 26 77.4 104 165
          Feb 02 76.8 078 124

It feels to me as if the first few weeks were mostly converting fat to muscle, but the final two weeks were simply about burning the fat. The last two days the weigh-in was 76.3 kg, so I expect the last weekly average to drop further.

The target is still 75 kg, and the final kilo will be the most difficult one. January has clearly been good, and I just need to pull through the exercise regimen in February.
          Last edited by Wouter D; 31-01-2020, 09:03.

Comment

I have not been serious in January, not serious enough for sure and February is going to be a lot more demanding as I will lower my intake. Nowhere near my target despite a loss so time to shift a gear, I need to be below my target for March when the days finally start to allow me to be out a bit more before BST make things a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
              Well, I've hit 86 kg on the 5:2 (having originally been 93 kg). Only two more kilos to go. Belly looking vaguely flat.

Only thing is, there's no consensus on what to do when you reach your target weight. Or whether your weight just plateaus.

There's something to this intermittent fasting though, if you ask me. Even if there isn't, this diet is far easier to manage than spending every day counting calories. Only downside is I that I get a bit hungry and grumpy late in the evening on fasting days, which is usually solved by going to bed early.
              I think that, provided you don't pig out on the 5 days, it works because over a week you are in calories deficit.

Keeping the weight stable requires a lot of discipline, when there is no target to attain. A bit like teams with nothing to play for by the end of the season...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post

I think that, provided you don't pig out on the 5 days, it works because over a week you are in calories deficit.

Keeping the weight stable requires a lot of discipline, when there is no target to attain. A bit like teams with nothing to play for by the end of the season...
                That's certainly true, but--from the small numbers of studies I've read--people on fasting diets tend to be more successful than people on equivalent low-calorie diets.

How to optimise this, however, is up for debate. If I skip breakfast, I can easily go 18 hours without eating anything, without too much difficulty. An acquaintance of mine does this for 24 hours.

You're also right about avoiding the tendency to pig out on non-fasting days.

Comment

Well done to all the OTFers reporting weight-loss success in January. Inspiring stuff.

Comment

Comment

That's certainly true, but--from the small numbers of studies I've read--people on fasting diets tend to be more successful than people on equivalent low-calorie diets.

How to optimise this, however, is up for debate. If I skip breakfast, I can easily go 18 hours without eating anything, without too much difficulty. An acquaintance of mine does this for 24 hours.

You're also right about avoiding the tendency to pig out on non-fasting days.
                      I am not surprised by the study, a fast day is "easy" to do as are normal days (provided you have a natural inclination to self-discipline) as there is no tedious calories counting (or select only certain food if you are on one of those idiotic keto/paleo/whatever diets). It is working well for you, which is what matters. I would suggest that once you reached your objective, you either switch to a calorie control lifestyle, tedious but it can be seen as a diary of some kind plus once you get into the grove, it's easy enough to keep track or maybe just stick to the 5/2 on a semi-permanent basis, maybe a bit more relaxed on normal days?

Comment

Went to slimming world after a three week hiatus this morning. I've put on another pound, which means I've put on a whole stone since last summer. Balls.

Comment

I've never tried intermittent fasting but I can't really imagine it working out well for me. On an average day, I eat roughly every two to three hours otherwise I get light-headed and dizzy (I have low blood pressure).

Comment

As someone who does it, I tend to believe that it would not be compatible with your lifestyle, let alone your metabolism

Comment

Originally posted by MoonlightShadow View Post

I am not surprised by the study, a fast day is "easy" to do as are normal days (provided you have a natural inclination to self-discipline) as there is no tedious calories counting (or select only certain food if you are on one of those idiotic keto/paleo/whatever diets). It is working well for you, which is what matters. I would suggest that once you reached your objective, you either switch to a calorie control lifestyle, tedious but it can be seen as a diary of some kind plus once you get into the grove, it's easy enough to keep track or maybe just stick to the 5/2 on a semi-permanent basis, maybe a bit more relaxed on normal days?
                              The participants both followed the respective diets as instructed--it was just the intermittent-fasting group lost more weight than the calorie counters (even though the weekly calorie intake was the same)..

The doctor who authored the diet suggests switching to 6:1. Alternatively I could stick to 5:2 but maybe consume, say, 1,000 calories instead of 600. I'll have to experiment.

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                              I've never tried intermittent fasting but I can't really imagine it working out well for me. On an average day, I eat roughly every two to three hours otherwise I get light-headed and dizzy (I have low blood pressure).
                              Yes. It's not for everyone. Six-hundred calories is really not very much.

Comment

Yeah, I would feel pretty drained on that little...

I think I'll have to take advantage of the coming weeks that look rank weather-wise to set a low calories target, probably just above my BMR and stick to low intensity activities to look after my fitness. I am going to stick to 1800 today actually.

No counting tomorrow, night out with the wife but Sunday will be a different matter...

Comment

Six-hundred calories is really not very much.
                                  Too bloody right. It's two of the sausages that I sell, for example.

Comment

Well, I have just eaten my light tea, plenty of spices to give it some zing, the veg were stirfried in a few spray of oil and the falafel I got from the frozen section were rather nice. Vegan meal too...Just a coffee to go and that's me done for the day

Comment

I I can imagine trying 6. 1 as a fasting regime. I would struggle with 5 2 and I am notoriously grumpy when hungry. Long term members of my team often bring snacks to early afternoon meeting just in case I haven’t eaten.

Comment

So, I ended January at 13-5 1/4, which is just 2 1/2 lbs down in a month which started quite well but then fizzled out rather.

I'm far too physically inactive. It's not even sport & exercise that I'm short of, it's just movement!

Anyway, at least things are moving in the right direction. Let's see if I can drop to under 13st by March.

Comment

What's a good, free, calorie counting app? I'm curious to do an estimate just for a few days.

Comment

What's a good, free, calorie counting app? I'm curious to do an estimate just for a few days.
                                            My Fitness Pal, the one I use. It has a gigantic database of foods, be it ingredients or prepped foods, you can also scan any products with a barcode. It also tracks nutrition indicators eg fat/protein/carb pie charts and nutrients intake. You can also create recipes.

Well worth doing to realise your intake but enter everything you eat/drink (don't bother with stuff like coke zero or a tea without sugar/milk)

Comment

My Fitness Pal is great, as MS notes. I have used it in a variety of ways (calorie counting, macro tracking)

Comment

Ok, I've downloaded My Fitness Pal and I already dislike it because it claims I should only be eating 1,220 calories a day.

Comment

Actually, I just adjusted it to an aim of losing half a pound a week instead of a pound a week and now it will let me have 1,470 calories a day, which is waaay more realistic.

Comment

Actually, I just adjusted it to an aim of losing half a pound a week instead of a pound a week and now it will let me have 1,470 calories a day, which is waaay more realistic.
                                                    Good, start slow and steady, that way you 'train' your body to eat less.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X