• Show
Clear All

Runner's screed

So, City to Surf today.

The City...

William Street straight after the start. Always a buzz:

After the finish:

... and the surf (this is from the queue for free buses back to the city):

So I intended to walk all 14k, but had to jog the first couple to avoid getting in the way (it was a joint slower runners / walkers group but I started quite far forward, mostly with runners).Then I jogged the last couple as well as I just got swept along. And I couldn't help sprinting the finish. And that's not my time on the display at the finish, that starts when the elites set off. I'm hoping I beat my sub-two hour target.

A great morning. Do it if you ever get the chance.

Comment

Runner's screed

Looks splendid Sits, I was reminded about it yesterday when it appeared on a couple of feeds on Facebook. Definitely one to keep in mind, and more glamorous than my weekend event, a 10k round some woods near Gateshead (though to be fair as 10k routes go it was one of the more pleasant ones I've done).

Comment

Runner's screed

1:51:12 which equates to just under 8 minute kms. I'll accept sub-8 for a fast walking pace.

Comment

Runner's screed

As the Euros and weekends away this summer have somewhat buggered up my parkruns, my times have been crap on my return and you lot are doing so well, I set myself a target of doing 3 mile or 5k a day. It was a bit Mad Dogs and Welshmen as they were done either just before or just after midday on the very hot Monday and Tuesday and I did 3.03 miles in 34.13 and 3.02 miles in 33.06. Wednesday's one was a bit better as it was in the evening and I did dead on 3 in 32.09. Yesterday's was a warm evening run at 5, a lot of uphill and I did 3.06 in 34. 34. As you can imagine, I was aching from Wednesday morning but thought I would take advantage of the cooler weather and rain to have a slow 3 miles. Well bugger me but I only 3.21 in 33.10. That did put me at my best pace of 10.19/mile but, to be honest, at 3 miles, I sprinted the last .21 as I knew it would bring my pace down. Still, a fast run for me albeit on a very flat course.

It's been interesting choosing the music for the runs as some music that has different tempo songs - Public Service Broadcasting and Fun Lovin' Criminals - have definitely slowed me down. However, today, it was Nashville Pussy who, for those don't know, are like a relentless AC/DC whose no letting up in tempo must have helped.

I am doing a parkrun tomorrow and, to be honest, I am quite prepared to do a slowish time but I don't really care especially with the amassed miles this week and today's quick time. I have learnt that, firstly, running every day is stupid and it is OK as an experiment for a week but it is hard on your back and knees. Secondly, a half-marathon is much easier to do in 5 stages. In all seriousness I will work out how long it took me to get to 13 miles.

Thirdly, what you listen to does seem to make a difference. We haven't actually discussed what people listen to if they are running or if they do at all, have we?

Comment

Runner's screed

I've finally got a route I like leaving from the new house. It's exactly 5k (3.1 miles), which is good, but almost none of it is flat (which is bad). I'm finding it tough to run more than once a week at the moment, because of other sport/exercise I'm doing, which means it's hard to get extra speed or distance. That said, I'm fairly consistently running 10 minute miles, which is actually pretty good for me.

In answer to Bored's question, I don't listen to music when I run. I probably should, because I do get bored, but I hate carrying stuff with me if I can possibly avoid it.

Comment

Runner's screed

I'm a listener, definitely, but will respect the rules when race organisers state clearly that ipods are banned. Sometimes they can be ambiguous ("we advise you not to", "we prefer to not to") so I prefer it when they say absolutely not. This is a hornet's nest though - you'll find furious arguments about this on running forums, not least over whether ipods are actually banned in UKA licensed events (which some organisers use as their basis for banning them).

Anyway.

Kit - I tend to use a Sony Walkman (a modern mp3 player, not a huge 80s cassette player) which isn't much bigger than a credit card and fits nicely into the zipped bum-crack pockets you get on running shorts.

Music - I made the mistake of playing my usual playlist in the car on the way back from an event and got roundly slagged off by the kids and their mother, but as I tried to explain on a long run, two hours of fast music is too much and you need a bit of variety. I like to have a few calmer songs (Cody by Mogwai is a particularly random example), a few "builders", and a few all out fast and noisy.

Two that always help to maintain a pace are Losing My Edge by LCD Soundsystem, and Soul Time by Shirley Ellis. And while I avoid falling into the cliche of choosing songs with a running theme, Rattlesnakes by St Vincent is the closest I get to that cliche.

I don't think it makes any difference to my pace but when I first took up running I found I couldn't listen to podcasts which was annoying as I used to get through loads in the walking era, but now that I'm less bothered about breathing patterns and so on, I've started listening to them on training runs.

Comment

Runner's screed

My equipment for tracking my run is my i-phone so I use it for music as well. I used to have one of those armbands but it doesn't fit my new phone so I just stick it in my shorts pocket.

I mainly tend to listen to podcasts as it goes. I was listening to "Serial" which was a bit weird when I was running through forests and tunnels. Now, I listen to the previous week's Saturday Live show podcast as I miss it when I am running on a Saturday morning.

Comment

Runner's screed

If you are going to listen to anything while running then it has to be "Long Distance Runner" by Fugazi.

Comment

Runner's screed

When I ran I used to listen to a tailor-made playlist on an old iPod Nano as it was small. Now I walk I either listen to nothing, or podcasts on the iPhone which I always carry anyway. The shorts are actually Speedos which look like running shorts (so no, not budgie smugglers). These have a Velcro'd pocket on the arse which is ideal for the phone. In a front pocket it bounces around too much.

I actually need to find some earphones which hook round the ears. I used to have them but they broke. Now I have standard "buds" which fall out a lot when I walk.

Sits: bringing mundane to the running thread.

Comment

Runner's screed

I'm a listener, definitely, but will respect the rules when race organisers state clearly that ipods are banned.
                      Why on earth would they stop you listening to music? That's mad.

I actually need to find some earphones which hook round the ears.
                      I'm not a runner, but I do walk a lot (5-10 miles a day.) I have a pair of these although I paid £12 for them. They work for me. P has a pair too for running and she reckons they work well for that.

Comment

Runner's screed

I got sick of wires so made the move to Plantronics Backbeat Fit bluetooth headphones. They are fantastic - haven't broken due to sweat (see last active headphones), open eared enough to hear things and very reliable on connection.

As for listening - my iphone has a lot of stuff downloaded from spotify and a good bunch of podcasts. If I am on a running machine I normally have one of the financial news channels on with subtitles.

Comment

Runner's screed

hobbes wrote:
                          I'm a listener, definitely, but will respect the rules when race organisers state clearly that ipods are banned.
                          It's so you can hear safety instructions, orders from stewards etc. It's broadly ignored as far as I can see.

Comment

Runner's screed

Bordeaux Education wrote:
                            Originally posted by hobbes
                            It's so you can hear safety instructions, orders from stewards etc. It's broadly ignored as far as I can see.
                            That's the reason usually given and - while I'm very much pro-ipods - I can see why race organisers take a risk-averse approach and that's their choice. In my still-limited experience I've never been faced with an instruction from a marshall that needs much more than a gesture (as most of them are basically 'run that way') or at most taking an earphone out while they say 'run that way'. Races tend to be quite straightforward and usually don't require marshalls to be giving out lengthy verbal instructions as people run past. Again however I've never been in circumstances where there is something unexpected going on.

There can be a bumptious attitude in the anti- camp which boils down to 'it's banned because it's banned', and a catty one which is that people aren't 'proper runners' if they have to listen to music. Anti types complain about it being difficult to overtake runners who have earphones (zombies, in their parlance) because they can't bark at them to get out the way while they power to glory - again though most courses I've done have adequate space for people to get round and the pace differentials at my level mean you're not constantly overtaking and being overtaken, it's not like Mario Kart out there.

Generally though like I said earlier, most take the approach of 'we'd rather you didn't, but if you must...', while I've seen more pragmatic approaches (you're allowed to run with one in and one out, or told to keep it low), and also (and I've never tried them or even worked out how they work) you can get open earphones which allow you to hear outside noise too. As suggested above though, even when they are clearly banned, you'll be guaranteed to see someone still using them and there'll be nothing said.

Comment

Runner's screed

I'm prejudiced against headphones, mostly because of my cycling background. Cyclists with headphones actually are a genuine menace. So, I'll start by admitting to a probably irrational dislike of runners listening to music in a race.

So, with the said at the outset, runner with headphones make total sense in training, and I justify my prejudice against headphones in races not as a safety thing, but just as a "why are you in this race if not to enjoy it?" thing. On the times I'm in a big run I actually like the atmosphere, of the words with other competitors. It's social. The people shut away in their own little headphone zone might as well be off on their own private jog in the park. At least, that's the way it feels to me.

Comment

Runner's screed

I don't think you can equate cycling with running. I would never cycle with headphones as I regard riding a cycle as the same as driving a car - you are in charge of a vehicle and, as such, you should adhere to the rules of the road.

Broadly, running is similar to walking. You are adhering to unwritten rules of the pavement/path/track etc. Therefore, listening to music while you are running is exactly the same as when you are walking to, from, in or around the supermarket, for instance.

As to your last point, many people either don't enjoy racing but see it as a necessary evil and music is a distraction or, actually enjoy it but have music as a soundtrack or a motivational tool.

As for the social thing, I do a parkrun every week which, i think, it probably the most social form of running and there is an element that I enjoy running with the same people and/or different types of people but, for the most part, I enjoy listening to podcasts or music. Similarly, the Bath Half genuinely is a very social, community-based race but you can still appreciate that while listening to music.

Comment

Runner's screed

I'm not equating cycling with running here - I'm just putting into context why I might be unfairly prejudiced. Think of it as a "full disclosure" statement.

In terms of music, my favourite experience was the local Rock-n-Roll half marathon, where they have local bands playing every mile or so along the course. It's a bit weird where a bad Bon Jovi cover fades out of earshot and you come up on a local Mexican thrashy band playing their original songs, but it's fun, too.

Comment

Runner's screed

Oh, we have that on the Bath Half Marathon with exactly the results you mention. Indeed, I quite fancy get our lot playing. Certainly more so than running it.

Comment

Runner's screed

Great points. The City to Surf this time, walking/jogging was a great social experience; lots of friendly little exchanges with other walkers/slow joggers all there to enjoy the day. Such a contrast to the full-on time-chasing days, everyone doing everything to get ahead of that annoying person in front, in the zone, checking the watch every few hundred metres.

And as for bands, wow. Over 14km, from memory: four funk; one mambo (or salsa?); reggae; Blues Brothers tribute; septuagenarian rock'n'roll; trad jazz; assorted DJs; a wannabe Ed Sheeran; a string quartet; a number of school bands; cheerleaders and a bagpiper.

Comment

Runner's screed

The only event I've done along those lines has been (walking) the Great Scottish Run where they had pipers, steel drummers and DJs to help the atmosphere, but in context that sort of event is the exception rather than the rule and confined to the big events.

Most of what I've done is much lower key stuff - the smallest field I've been in is 47 for a 10k (more typically 100-200) and once that size of field gets spread after the first mile or so it's a solitary experience.

When I've ran events without music, there's been no chat at all with other runners - again might be a reflection of the sort of events I've done, but people generally are in their own zone whether they've got music or not.

I'd caveat that by saying there's a difference if there are club-mates in the race, there's a lot of mutual support before, during and after events - the 'during' still doesn't amount to much chat, but you'll always get a wave or shout even if you don't know the other person.

Long distance walking is a different game though and lot more chat-friendly, with an element of everyone looking out for each other.

Comment

Runner's screed

What have you lot started. After last week's exertions, I decided to do a more normal week this week and add a three mile midweek run to my parkrun. When I decided to do my midweek, I realised that I am under four weeks away from doing a 10K supporting a friend who doing an ultra on the same course. She has organised in what 'waves' we would be supporting here and put me in the earlier (and, therefore, faster, supposedly) wave. I was aghast at this but she said "You'll be fine" (last time she said that I ended up doing the half-marathon).

Anyway, I digress - I decided to do the midweek run on part of the route where the 10k will be which is up and down a hil with two old rail tunnels in that have been set up for running, walking and cycling. Getting to entrance of the first shorter tunnel and back was three miles so I decided to go through it which was 4 and half there and back. I wanted to do more so thought I would run to the entrance of the second longer tunnel. By the time I got there, I felt fine so I thought I would run through the second tunnel which is nicely flat and cool. Halfway through that, my phone said I had done 3 miles. When I got out, I felt OK so thought I would run to what would likely be the finish line for the 10K - a pub at the end of the old railway line which, I remembered, was just past the exit of the second tunnel. It was, however, longer and, by the time I got there, I had clocked up four miles which had taken me 45-ish minutes. Then I had the realisation that, having done 4 miles and being in a completely different village outside of Bath, I was going to have to run back especially as I had a meeting that evening. So, I ended up doing 8 miles when I only really thought I would do my first 5 in ages, maybe 6 at the most.

The return was terrible. I started feeling aches in my back and my hips. All the downhills that I was looking forward to running when I was running up them on the way had disappeared while the - what seemed like - few uphills that I noticed multiplied and became larger. I was late for my meeting by the time I get home and showered and wasn't sure I would be able to do my parkrun yesterday (I did a very lazy one in the end).

Having said that, I think that the miles I put 'in my legs' last week made the initial uphill 4 miles much easier and meant that I was, at least, able to complete the 8 miles making me very confident for the 10k. Also, I have done the equivalent of a marathon over two weeks which, it has to be said, is a much better idea than doing it in one day. The listening was "Wrong" by NoMeansNo, by the way, which was perfect.

Comment

Runner's screed

Good stuff, this reminded me of when I started this caper and you saying how good I'd feel when I got through five miles, and how good I did feel when I eventually did it (which, as I think I reported at the time, arose from an impromptu change of route to stay out longer).

I did a third half ten days ago, and was within a minute of my first/best, on a windy coastal route (and lost 20 seconds crossing the start as it wasn't chip timed).

At the start I spotted a fellow club member who I didn't know and (most unlike me) went up and said hello. The week before at a 10k I arranged to meet a friend of a friend who I'd never actually met before (we are linked on Facebook from a stag do that never materialised). This is all most unsettling.

Plans to take it easy in the autumn are being thwarted by there being a 10k close to just about everywhere I am going. I'm not even looking for them now, they look for me - I came back to work today after a long weekend off to find a fax on my desk (and when did you last see one of them) which was a flyer for a 10k that someone in another office had sent me. It happens to be at the same place I did my first parkrun, and I'm already staying nearby the night before, so of course I'm doing it.

Comment

Runner's screed

Bloody hell, that is lovely and incredible news. It occurred to me that I have forgotten what your entry level was so checked back to your first post and that is quite some progression. TO be honest, the fact that you were out every night was a sign that you were going to go far with it but three halfs and regular 10Ks within 10 months of starting is very impressive.

Comment

Runner's screed

Cheers again - equally I checked back to earlier in the thread before my previous post to make sure I was quoting you correctly and smiled at my tentative steps back then. Genuinely and without sarcasm, it helped that, if I made progress, I could tell people about it on the internet (both here and Facebook), and all the encouragement was and still is appreciated.

Comment

Runner's screed

Went out for my first run today in just over 2 years. 4 miles along the banks of the Chesterfield Canal which was lovely as it was flat, the sun was out, there were only a couple of dog walkers using it at the same time, so all was nice and quiet. Was pleased to run that in just over 45 minutes, but best of all, my knees which were the reason I stopped in the first place aren't hurting at all (so far). All being well, will be running it again on Tuesday evening.

Comment

Runner's screed

Made my international debut (well my official one, I did a few solo runs in Cyprus when on holiday at Easter) yesterday, taking part in the Houston Astros charity 10K.

It started at 7.15am, at which point it was already much warmer than anything I'd ever ran in before, and I'd promised my travelling companions (and everyone else I'd told about it) that I'd take it easy and the sole objective was to finish.

Of course I then set off at something close to my usual 10K pace and covered the first lap/half in less than 30 minutes, enjoying the views of downtown Houston in the sunrise. Ah yes, the sun was indeed rising, and on the second lap it was absolutely fucking boiling so I started taking it easy, walking through the water stations and on the uphill sections, making sure I was well watered and towelled.

My fastest section was undoubtedly the ramp down into Minute Maid Park (home of the Astros), where the finishing line and, more importantly, air conditioning awaited. I crossed in 67 minutes, making it my slowest ever 10K, but I finished.

Then things diverged even more from my usual 10K experience, as I was first photographed with a cheerleader, then got to sit in the dugout and generally wander around the stadium before exiting through a 'party zone' where multiple protein shakes, cereal bars, fruit, donuts and other freebies were foisted on me. You usually get a bottle of water and, if lucky, a banana.

I checked the results last night, I was 158/298 in the 10K and 9/15 in my age category. I think the former at least is my best ever performance in terms of relative position, so I'll take that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X