No announcement yet.

Runner's screed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following on from Saturday's post, this morning I recorded my personal best 5km - 25:46. 1 second off my previous best. Now to work on getting below 25 mins.

Comment

I think I've found what my easy jogging pace is. This is as defined by my breathing, i.e. running but slow enough not to be drawing air in hard/dropping the pace further if it start to do this until I'm back to only needing to breathe shallowly. Basically easy enough breathing that I could hold a conversation whilst running without it making me gasp for breath. I got interested in what this actually was so have taken my stopwatch on a couple of 3 mile jogs recently. And got timings from these two runs that differed by only fractions of a second. It's 8m16 per mile, it would appear.

Yesterday wasn't this though. It was interval training as I look to push the 5k time down, on a (nearly) flat 400m loop I've found around a mile from my flat (it laps round a currently unused rugby pitch and cricket square). And by golly, the weather was awful for it. I waited until evening to avoid the rain, and yes, it was dry and sometimes sunny as I was doing my training. But the sun just meant the previous hours rain was all evaporating so it was really humid. And the same wind that had blown the rainclouds away was now making running a chore. My 400m times were down from the 90-91s average that I had managed on the previous sets of intervals to 95-96s (94", 93", 98", 96", 97", 96", 95" for the seven fast laps). Bah! At least lap 7 wasn't notably slower than lap 1. That is a good sign, I think. But it was a disappointing way to christen the new running shoes I bought at the weekend to replace the Hockey astroturf boots that were taking a battering.

And now the reason for this post - to pick the right type of shoe, I had a go on a treadmill with a camera so my gait could be checked. It's pretty standard as it turns out (the resulting shoes are neutral balance); it was being on a treadmill for the first time in my life that was the memorable thing from exercise. Bloomin' weird feeling. I'm fairly sure my 'running' style on it was rather unnatural. I must have been very close to flying across the room when it was turned on as it really caught me out.

Comment

48'35" for 10k this morning (7'48 per mile on average). Which is now the official PB after the trip/stopwatch fail disaster of a few weeks ago. That was probably going to be a bit quicker though as the 2 mile and 4 mile intermediate splits today were a touch slower than back then - 15'33 compared to 15'30 at 2 miles and 31'09 instead of 31'00 at 4. I'm still irked about it.

My pace was clearly slowing throughout today, though. Those splits work out as 7'46/mile for the first section, 7'48/mile for miles 2-4 and 7'51/mile for the last bit. Better stamina than two weeks ago however, when my pace dropped from 7'46 to 8'02 and then 8'10.

Comment

Impressive numbers and progress, particularly running alone. When things get back to some form of normality you should try your local Parkrun and see what difference it will make having others to pace yourself against.

I have continued to grind out miles (both running and walking) but my racing pace is long gone. Today I did a "virtual half marathon" - I don't usually hold with this sort of thing but it was one where the real event was in aid of a particular charity (Joining Jack) and the organisers were very keen for people to switch to doing it virtually rather than seeking a refund so that the charity continued to benefit so I didn't mind on this occasion. Plus I hadn't ran that distance since early March so it was something to motivate me. And also I had to post a "virtual 10k" time for a local event so it provided an opportunity to improve on last week's attempt (which I did, marginally). It was however absolutely boiling, but I got round and posted 2 hours 21 mins which is a long way off my best but I have actually done worse in "real" events on occasion so it is something to build on.

Very little idea of when real events are going to get back to normal - I know there is a 10K in Blackpool later this month but think they are doing staggered starts rather than a mass start. I'm still seeing cancellations for autumn events (some of which had already re-scheduled from the spring) and with the local issues in the North I can't see much chance of normal events for the rest of the calendar year.

Meanwhile in a parallel 2020 I'd be trail racing in the South of the US for the next couple of weekend, and I'm still getting race instructions coming through from the real 2020 to rub it in (most of the races in question are still going ahead).

Comment

I got a text from the Run in the dark people that they're still going ahead in November, I think that's optimistic, but you'd never know.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              I got a text from the Run in the dark people that they're still going ahead in November, I think that's optimistic, but you'd never know.
              There's a lot of optimism going on amongst race organisers, or at least some optimistic fronts being put up. I can understand it - for some of them it's their big thing for the whole year and they don't want to give up on it. I've had at least one where they have gone from "everything is still on track, entries still open!!" to a cancellation within a few days.

Comment

8km today in a few seconds under 49 minutes. Most importantly, I did the entire run non stop for the first time since last year. In the early months of this year my stamina ,always my best advantage, crashed and I was gasping after 3-4 kms. I'd like to work on my speed now, but baby steps first.

Comment

Just popping back into this to say that "Brittany runs a marathon" is a pretty good comedy fairly authentically based on running. I say this as someone who has a very high bar set on films about subjects I have a working knowledge of - bands, football etc.

Comment

I'll look out for that, presume it is on one of the several streaming services we've accumulated in the house this year.

There are some almost-real events starting to happen (staggered starts, smaller fields) - a local 10 mile race re-scheduled from April went ahead yesterday, the first organised race round here since March. I'm entered for the re-scheduled Blackpool Half in a couple of weeks although they haven't finalised the details yet - think they were thrown by the "rule of six" thing (maybe that's the compromise, if any runners bunch up in groups of seven or more then thirty tweed-suited shooters are allowed to open fire).

Parkrun of course announced their return just before the "rule of six" announcement, it will be interesting to see how much of a return they are able to make, as some land owners (including the Forestry Commission apparently) aren't going to be keen in the current uncertainty, and then there are local lockdowns to work around.

Comment

Parkrun have now abandoned plans to return.

Comment

I'm running less often nowadays as Squash and Hockey are back (bizarre how Hockey and Football are OK, but a Parkrun isn't), but I'm still managing to get out twice a week, once for a run and the other for a training session of some sort. Today's was a tempo run, but it was also a ladder reset as I shortened the length of time running at 'tempo' but tried to do it at a faster rate. 2.85 miles covered in 20m 21s (the extra 21 secs to get to a convenient landmark to measure the distance against) works out at 7m17/mile. Given the target pace was 7m15, I'm happy with that. Now to go up in steps at that pace, running for 5 minutes longer each time and probably slackening the pace off slightly as I do (I got up to 45 mins at tempo at what was planned as 7m45 pace, but wasn't over that length). The aim, obviously, being to build endurance.
                        Next week is intervals, though. Which is also endurance/recovery. I've now found a 400m loop, and am working a ladder on that, adding a lap each time to move up from 5 to 8, and when I get to 8 resetting back to 5 but with 100m less recovery between bursts. The most recent was 6 x 400m with 200m between them. The target is to stay below 97 seconds for 400m, i.e. 6m30 pace. I didn't achieve that last week, though (average time 99.8s, last lap 101s). It will come in time, I guess. But a 6min/mile does feel like a big stretch still.

PB for 5k on a training run last week, though. 22m 20s for it, or 7m11/mile pace. And I wasn't trying to set a time when I started, before figuring out I felt pretty good so thinking "Why not" and beginning to push. I reckon there is more still in there. As every runner ever who had just set a best time said!

Sub 22-minute and then 7m dead per mile (21'45") are the next targets.

Comment

Well, I've not done that (above) yet, but with other sport canned for the second lockdown I'm back running most days, and trying longer distances. In that vein, I'm just back from running 20k for the first time. 1h42m17s for it. I was hoping for under 1h40 (or 5min per km), but next time maybe. I reckon I still had more in the tank at the end, and it's pretty windy today (~35mph gusts) which won't have helped any.

Comment

Not trying a 5k this week, but instead going for pushing the 10k time. Which I got done in a new PB of 47:22.9, which is 7m37/mile. Was hoping for 7m30, but on a windy day I'll accept 7 secs per mile slower, especially when taking over a minute off my previous best time for the distance.

What was also pleasing was the consistency of the splits, which I've adjusted slightly to be on the mile marks rather than close to them (plus or minus 0.02 miles) as the reality was.
                            1st mile - 7:37
                            2nd mile - 7:38 (15:15)
                            3rd mile - 7:36 (22:51)
                            4th mile - 7:32 (30:23)
                            5th mile - 7:40 (38:03)
                            last 1.22 miles - 9:20 (47:23) @ 7:39/mile

Comment

Excellent work Janik, I'm only dreaming of figures like that. I'm hovering around the 57 minute mark at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X