No announcement yet.

Runner's screed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An odd thing has happened in the last couple of weeks. After months of milling around the late 31, 32 and even 33 minutes on the Parkrun, the last two weeks, for no reason at all seemingly (aside from, perhaps, firmer ground) I have had runs of 31.09 and even 30.49 which is the quickest run I have had in 2 years. Mrs Bored actually ran her all-time PB of 30:56 so there were some climactic and going circumstances that helped, I am sure, but, equally, we often use each other as pacers so if I am fast, she is often fast. I also did a 7 mile run this week - not fast, about 1 hour 15 - in preparation for my only competitive 10k this year at the old hometown of Porthcawl in July. If it is warm and sunny, it should be a beautiful run along the seafront but also, as I have mentioned before, heat and direct sun aren't my running buddies. Still, I will do another practice 10k runs and, hopefully, should be fairly fit for it. As for the new speedy Parkruns, I have no idea how it is going to go next time.

Comment

As a veteran of six Parkruns this year (plus a couple of unregistered try-outs over Christmas) I feel qualified to start posting in this thread.

I've always rolled my eyes at runners as I zip past them on my road bike. If I drove past a clutch of them and there was someone with me in the car I'd habitually quip "That's a shame, their bikes must be broken". However the local Parkrun takes place around the park on the other side of our road and if I'm up early enough on a Saturday I'll see the participants flocking in - or if not so early, staggering out - and I started thinking, well, what's to lose, people seem to enjoy that sort of shit and it wont cost anything to give it a go...

Lancaster has more elevation than most courses (326ft, which places it 26th nationally) so not the gentlest of introductions, but I clocked just over 27 minutes on my first attempt and the times have been steadily coming down since. Current PB stands at 22:52 so almost five minutes isn't a bad amount to lose over so few goes. The cycling must have helped, both in terms of general fitness and because I can handle sprinting up the slopes. Rule one - attack the climbs! In fact I wish there was more climbing as I seem to do better uphill than on the flat (relative to effort put in of course) and certainly better than on the descents, which I can't handle at all - I don't have enough balance or confidence.

I'm pretty certain that I've now plateaued and that my PB won't undergo any further drastic reductions. I set it on a morning where I turned up early to start at the front of the crowd (the starting line is narrow and gets congested even with fifteen minutes to the off) and by the time I finished I was almost on the point of throwing up. If it's going to drop by more than a few seconds each week then I need to run more. Done a few 8km lunchtime runs at work and I manage to finish them with plenty left in the tank. Don't think I'll ever go for longer distances though. An hour spent running is more than enough.

So, yeah. Running. Not as bad as I thought.
      Last edited by Mumpo; 15-04-2019, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
        A further 'official' 10k, on a flat course in Lancaster
        You managed to find a 10k flat course in Lancaster?!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumpo View Post

You managed to find a 10k flat course in Lancaster?!
          It is the parkrun course that is the running course anomaly in Lancaster (I've not done it myself but my sister has, and reckons it's horrendous). There is a year long series of races called, imaginatively, the Lancaster Race Series, and they tend to be very flat*, as they use the paths along, over and near the river. Some of them finish in the castle, which is ridiculous for a long distance race that has been 99% flat and then produces an uphill finish on (often wet) cobbles, but it produces picturesque finishing photos so that's ok apparently. One year I did four long distance runs there with a lot of shared course, and was sick to death of those river paths.

I did the Alexandra Palace parkrun on Saturday, which certainly wasn't flat, but was one of the more enjoyable courses I've done. It marked my 20th different one, but I'm still an amateur at the tourism game compared to many.

*I'm not going to day "dead flat" or "completely flat", they never are, but it's all relative.

Anyway, congrats and welcome.

Comment

See for example the half marathon course, which has 557ft of climb in 13 miles, of which about 120ft is the final run up to the castle.

Comment

I was back out on the 30 mile plus Spartan race yesterday. My question for everyone is on downhill running and strengthening your knees? The course had 10,050 ft of elevation change. My knee gave in cooperating at mile 16 else I would have likely been round an hour or so quicker.

Anyone have experience working on downhill? Is it just practice and learning to let yourself fall to cut on the breaking motion? The whole uphill was relatively fine (and is ok today) but the loss of downhill 10 min miles destroyed me.

Comment

My knees are fucked so I'm probably not the right person to give advice... but my understanding is that, if you don't currently do it, you should be doing a load of quad and hip work outside of running. A ton of stretching of hip flexors, in particular, and fairly low reps of high weight squats - I think squats more than lunges when weighted, to actually build quad strength on a stable platform. If I'm not mistaken, you spend a good chunk of time in a crossfit gym, so you're probably already doing most of this - if so, I don't actually know what else to suggest.

Comment

Thanks SB - squats I am working on and doing OK but my hip mobility sucks (I did GoWOD and my posterior chain / hip mobility both came out below 50%). Seems like I am going to spend a lot more time with bands and straps to try and get that where it needs to be.

It helps a lot to see it as another symptom of a problem I am already aware of rather than a new thing to work on.

Comment

Yeah, as well as hip stretching doing all those lateral movements with tight bands around ankles/knees is meant to be good for building the strength on those hip muscles. Mine are shockingly weak - I have strong quads/linear power from cycling, but very poor lateral strength in my leg movement which has had all kinds of knock on effects - usually on my knees when I run.

Comment

So, after a month off, I ran my 80th Parkrun in 30.54 which is my 9th best Park Run ever so my good form is continuing. Curiouser and curiouser especially as my knee and hip were sore from football and gym, I was reasonably hungover and it was cold with a brisk breeze. Mrs Bored also ran her second best time ever. Must have something to do with the conditions but, obviously, we get the same conditions pretty much every year around this time. We have been doing regular gym sessions (Mrs B once a week, me twice) which are based around running - the aforementioned weighted squats etc - so that has built up our strength and endurance and reduced our weight but, again, that hasn't changed much in the last month or two when we are getting these good times.

Comment

I ran in the 10k race at the Terwamaraton event here in Oulu last Saturday. It just so happened that the race coincided with the first hot day of the year, so it made conditions difficult for many; a runner in front of me had collapsed and was receiving medical attention as I reached the 8 km mark, and a guy in my group was really struggling, though happily he finished OK. I completed the race in a time of 1hr 0min 3secs, which I was happy enough with. It was 14 minutes slower than my PB back in 2014, though this was my first competitive run in four years. All in all a good day out.

Heading to the UK in early June, so will collect a couple of Parkruns whilst I'm there.

Comment

I'm running the Vitality 10k on Monday in London, for charidee. My first organised race since the 2001 London Marathon. Anyone done this particular one before? Any thoughts on the course etc

Comment

My sister is a regular at Wilmslow Parkrun. Yesterday they were graced with the presence of local MP and aspirant PM Esther McVey. She walked one lap and dropped out before the second.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                              I'm running the Vitality 10k on Monday in London, for charidee. My first organised race since the 2001 London Marathon. Anyone done this particular one before? Any thoughts on the course etc
                              Just seen this - I was supposed to do this as well, but had a change of plans. Too late now but I think it's a similar course to the Winter Run which I did last year, some slight inclines but nothing drastic, and quite a buzz towards the end where the crowds gather. Trust you found it ok and hope you enjoyed.

Yesterday I was on the other side of things, helping out at a new local Half. I did a long walk for charity a couple of weeks ago so it was too early for me to take part myself (in fact part of the reason I volunteered was so I didn't make a rash last minute decision to enter). Me and daughter set up and operated the first drinks station at 3.3 miles, then after the last runners came through, packed up and headed to the finish to give out the medals and water. Enjoyed it, 120 or so ran it so it was manageable, hopefully it is back next year when I'll probably run it (it is near the coast and flat as a pancake but also yesterday that meant it was very windy).

Comment

Did it in 55mins 52secs, which I'm pretty happy with all things considered (always too much jostling and traffic early doors). Really enjoyable route and race.

Comment

Bloody hell, I should think you are happy with that time. Well done.

Decided to go out for my last chance - probably - to have a run longer than the Parkrun before the Porthcawl 10k on July 7th. It was another accidental 8 miler (indeed, 8.5 miler). It was on the route where this phenomenon normally happens which is on the old Somerset and Dorset Railway path. It has a gradual ascent up to 557 feet (from my house anyway) and two tunnels - one of 400m and one of 1700m. A lot of people - my wife, for instance - don't like running in the tunnels but I love it. The temperature in both is fairly constant throughout the year and both are fairly flat. Obviously, runners are covered in the rain as well - not that that usually bothers me - but also protected from the wind and direct sunlight - which do bother me. In the second tunnel, there is a sound installation halfway through which is a bit intrusive if you are listening to your own music - even Motorhead today - and doesn't run throughout the tunnels so doesn't warrant stopping your own music. Like I say, it's a fairly gradual ascent on the way up and the only real steep sections are a short on just coming out of the first tunnel the second time on the way back and a longer section when you are about a mile away from home. I don't mind the first and there are three interesting sculptures of a Roman soldier, Harry Patch and Amy Williams at the top. I hate the second one however as not only is it longer, towards the end of the run when I am knackered but, also, doesn't seem to have a corresponding descent when you are running out - certainly not a noticeable one. I wonder whether the inhabitants of the flats that run along the slope notice me scowling in their general direction.

Anyway, as you get towards the end of the second tunnel, you hit 3 miles but I usually go to 3.5 to get a 7 mile run in. Today, I felt strong enough at that point to carry on to a pub which is four and a bit miles from my house. Last time, I tried this, by the time I got the the pub, I realised I had over-exerted myself and, after just 5 miles, had to walk and couldn't get running again. Today, however, I was absolutely fine until the last mile. Indeed, I had a real head of steam on at 6 miles where I was able to pick up my pace and I couldn't feel my legs but in a good way, if that makes sense. Anyway, my average pace was 11.5 minutes a mile which, if I reproduce it in Porthcawl, means I won't be posting any E10 Rifle-esque times but, at least, I am fairly well-prepared. After my run today, I realised I had to walk into town to my wife's work then walk around town to do some chores. I have just checked my phone and I have racked up about 15 miles in total today. On my return home, I made sure that I did everything I needed to do before I have now sat down to write this and have a coffee as I am not sure I will be able to get up again.

Comment

So, as a result of my toe problems I have been working with various new orthotic innersoles. Some of which have a material difference on the way everything works - ankle pain, knee pain as everything adjusts. The cortizone shot has helped a lot with the pain basically caused by the 30 miler.

Today was pretty rough - my ankle was the worst (a problem I never historically had and I am sure will go away). My IT band was murder when I finished for about 4 hours but now seems fine.

Race weather was good - a little humid. I really need to learn how to drink sport drink while running from a cup, rather than basically ending up covered in it. Last 25% of the race was a miserable slog due to pains rather than energy; I had fed pretty well.

Half Marathon 1:48. I should be able to get that sub 1:40 by the fall.

There was an attempt at the world record for a communal shower after the race. I did not partake.

Comment

Second run this week, 8k in 46 minutes, not too bad considering that the run from work is largely uphill and I got caught in the rain in the middle of it. Looking to get back into proper racing before the end of the summer.

Comment

Did the Hendon Brook Race today, a 13.5 mile race starting and finishing in Nelson, Lancs. It is billed as the toughest road half marathon in the country - it's 0.4 miles further than a half for a start - with over 2000 feet of ascent (and therefore 2000 of descent as well). It was ridiculous, it was basically like that kids toy where the penguins go slowly up the steps and then whizz down the slide, again and again and again. Some of the hills could barely be walked, never mind ran. I had gone into it thinking 2:30 was possible, but that evaporated on the last big uphill section and I eventually finished in 2:37. Got amongst a group of half a dozen others at a similar pace and we were all passing each other at various times, and ended up fourth in this race within a race.

After the race there was beer and bbq and it was all quite pleasant in the sun. I overhead someone saying they'd synced their watch with some app and the daily target on the app for 'floors' (ie climbing the equivalent of a flight of stairs) was 10, and they had done 194 'floors' during the race.

I might actually give it another go in the future. Some time off now for a holiday, on which my running shoes aren't invited.

Comment

Did the inaugural Porthcawl 10k today. Obviously, it was just the chance to run in my home town that made me choose it. I then started worrying that it could be uncharacteristically hot but was assured that it would, like yesterday, be cool and cloudy with a light breeze (or 'summer' as we used to call ti when we lived there). Anyway, of course, it was boiling hot with no breeze and the delayed start meant that I had half an hour more to get sunburnt. They said that it was a fast flat course which I knew was bollocks as I knew every single street that we ran. We ran past my old school, parallel to my old street and next to the park at the end of my street that we used to play in. Even with this knowledge, I was surprised at some of the slopes and found the second 5k, well, 7k, to be brutally honest, very hard in the heat. I ended up doing it in 1:06:02 which is fully 10 minutes longer than the last one I did around Glastonbury Tor but that was genuinely the same weather as yesterday was and I was at my Half-Marathon fittest so I will take that. The race was OK and I enjoyed the novelty of running around my old haunts. It was also nice racing with my wife for the first time along with some extended family and with my Mum, Dad,cousins and old friends cheering on. However, they ludicrously didn't stop cars from parking for one long stretch of the course meaning people were having to take to the pavement, they could have done with more than two water stations and they need to get the traffic to be in by earlier than an hour before the start so that the aforementioned start delay doesn't happen again. If they get that sorted and the weather is a bit more forgiving, it will be a really good 10k in genuinely nice surroundings.

In other news, faggots, peas, chips and gravy is not the best eve-of-race meal; despite being a anti-militaristic pacifist, it is still exciting to see the Red Arrows live and I didn't beat Iwan Thomas.

Comment

Did my first organised run in about 18 months this morning. One of the local pubs organised a 5k park run on behalf of local charities. It was my first 5k,as opposed to the 10k runs I normally do, so I thought it would be a lot easier. It was shorter obviously, but there comes with that the temptation to run faster. By the second lap I was struggling a bit, with the final stretch slightly uphill and into a stiff breeze. Finished on 25.07, I was hoping to beat 25.00,they didn't have official finishing positions, but I reckon I finished in the top 50 out of 421,so happy with that. Still undecided about the run in the dark 10k in November.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              Did my first organised run in about 18 months this morning. One of the local pubs organised a 5k park run on behalf of local charities. It was my first 5k,as opposed to the 10k runs I normally do, so I thought it would be a lot easier. It was shorter obviously, but there comes with that the temptation to run faster. By the second lap I was struggling a bit, with the final stretch slightly uphill and into a stiff breeze. Finished on 25.07, I was hoping to beat 25.00,they didn't have official finishing positions, but I reckon I finished in the top 50 out of 421,so happy with that. Still undecided about the run in the dark 10k in November.
                                              Good stuff, particularly when you're used to running a different distance - I find 5k's harder than longer runs because in the latter you get into a decent rhythm and breathing pattern after a difficult first couple of miles, while a 5k mostly consists of the difficult first couple of miles with little in the way of settling running. The running club used to do timed 'magic' mile events on a track where you'd be put in with runners known to be a similar standard, and they were torture.

Comment

My latest adventure was yesterday's crack at the Cumbria Way Ultra 30 mile, from Keswick to Carlisle. This time last year (upthread) I marshalled the finish of the parallel full event (73 miles) and earned a free place which I cashed in for the 30.

It was brutal stuff, and way out of my comfort zone. There is a mandatory kit (which is checked before you're allowed to start), most of which I had to buy, and then cram into a small backpack I usually use for long distance walking. The first checkpoint (and therefore drinks) is not until halfway, and the course is very much a game of two halves. Sharp hill coming out of Keswick, then up and down through the valleys for a long stretch, then a tough climb (see picture below for example if I get it on) lasting a couple of miles, before a further more straightforward but still steep climb up to the highest point of the course (the top of High Pike). My plan was then to run down into Caldbeck, but firstly the climbing took a heavy toll on my feet (and ankles - lost count of the number of times I turned one), secondly the terrain wasn't always suited to running and thirdly at times it was too steep to run down.

So I made it down with some running, some walking and some weird hybrid of the two which must have looked comical to the Saturday strollers I encountered. After some more up and down coming out of Caldbeck (I'd recced this stretch so knew what to expect) the course settled into a mostly flat, long grind to the last checkpoint and then to Carlisle. By this point any desire to run had long gone out of the window and I reverted to long distance walk mode, grinding out 15 minute miles on the flat.

The route comes into Carlisle round the area I lived for a long time, in various houses (and right behind one of them) so it was quite emotional seeing the lights knowing I was approaching the last mile. Then I encountered my now next door neighbour who was with another guy cheering in those from our running club who were doing it (we were well represented, and others had been out supporting outside the checkpoints and other spots en route), headed up into town to see my daughter waiting for me on the last bridge, and then ran into the finish at the castle past another 20 or so from the club cheering me in.

Finished in 8 hours 15, which was about an hour longer than I had hoped for, but I really underestimated the climbs that were involved. There is just under 4,000 feet of ascent in the 30 and I'm feeling every one this morning. I've got another credit in hand with the organisers after marshalling another of their races recently and I'm split between 'never again' and having another go next year, knowing what to expect.

And finally respect to those who do the full 73 mile version. Apart from the ridiculously long distance involved, many of them are hitting that climbing section in the dark, and I can't comprehend how they even manage it, but they do.

Comment

Comment

Bloody hell Walt, that looks like some tough going, I was talking to a friends wife after the All Ireland final and she wants to get fitter, so I'm committed to the run in the dark. I didn't enjoy it two years ago but I'll give it another bash.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X