No announcement yet.

Runner's screed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boy has just waited 11 months to get his junior 10 and I have got my 50 straight away . Not that you can moan too much of course because they are all free apart the postage.

Comment

Did the Tampere Parkrun on Saturday. I finished about three and a half minutes down on my 2015 effort, but I was fairly pleased as it was my first timed run since then. Temperature was -6 with some icy patches, and after exchanging some FB messages with local organisers regarding the conditions, I ran in my winter spikes. A local running club also served mulled wine and ginger biscuits at the finish, which was a nice touch.

I was sufficiently exotic enough to be personally introduced to the other parkrunners prior to the start. Huddersfield or Brighouse next up.

Comment

Missed this thread recently probably as my own running is a bit patchy. I will not be doing a PArkrun on my birthday even if it is offered as, being my birthday, I am already doing church and then the pub. I was wondering whether there was a New Year's Day one as I would think about that.

It's great getting a free "50" Parkrun t-shirt - I got mine straight away but, earlier this year, Mrs B's took a fair while to get to her. As you say, seems churlish to complain.

Comment

So far down for a 30 mile trail/OCR race again in April and a 5k/Half marathon weekend at the start of June. I ran the half in ~1.50 this year and would like to get that to under 1.40 this year. The question is a little bit more the how - as I understand it I need to run a lot slower in training (more Z2) to get the gains. Which will be a struggle with early morning cross fit and kids and life and stuff.

Ran a 5k last weekend dressed as a banana with a Gorilla chasing us. It was a good end-of-season fun event, helped by an open bar for about three hours afterward which descended into chaos.

Comment

First run in 3 weeks and only the second one in December due to work and Christmas pressures, 53 minutes 11 seconds for 9.62 km, considering I've done nothing for a while and put 6 beers and a load of turkey and other stuff down my throat yesterday I'm happy enough, only had to walk up one hill.
            Since I started back running 5 years ago I always said as long as my time is lower than my age I'll be happy and as I'll be 55 in two weeks time I think I've got a few years running left in me. January's got to dedicated to weight loss and training, whatever the weather.

Comment

Having had no exercise - aside from the almost purely social 5-a-side - for weeks, I went out for a run today, mainly to try out my Bluetooth headphone which were my only running Christmas presents and, in truth, as I was suffering a bit of post-christmas boredom. Was prepared to do 3 miles but pushed it to 4 which meant my minutes/mile average as increased but, at least, there was a 4th mile and, indeed, a run. Nice and flat along the canal, beautiful weather being dry, sunny and with no wind - a bit too warm in the direct sun if I was being picky. I do wonder if Motrhead realised when they released No Sleep... what, ironically, a perfect running album it is. Indeed, a perfect record all around.

Hip is hurting already so will tick off the aches and pains tomorrow. I am sure we have done this before but what supports do people use? I have been known to wear two knee supports and even, at one stage, a back support while running (and, indeed, doing all exercise at one point). However, I have tried to keep away from this as I feel that, while wearing supports, I am not building up the muscles around the public areas. Also, as my main issue appears to be my right hip, there isn't really any support I can get from it.

Anyway, with ParkRun on Saturday and me off next week, I may try and do 3 miles every other day as I am doing no other exercise presently.

Comment

Jeez. If it is a bit too warm in a UK December for you, you might like running here in winter.

Comment

It was a mild day - 46F/8C - for December which is still vest weather for me but it is more the direct sunlight I am not a fan of. When I did the my first Half, it was an unseasonably warm sunny March day which really did for me - otherwise, obviously, I would have won the thing. It's not just the heat either, there is a stretch on my park run where, at certain times of the year, the sun just peaks in and out of the hedge next to the route which cause an annoying and distracting strobe effect.

Again, I am sure we have done this before but I have find that there are particularly things that annoy me more when running than normal: autumn leaves underfoot, dogs claws tapping the pavement, children chattering, people dying to talk to me, the aforementioned heat and sun, strong winds (I know I am not alone there). On the other hand, I love a bit of drizzle especially towards the end of a run.

Comment

Direct sunlight? Hmm. None of that namby pamby weather been seen over here.

Ive used a back support in the past.
                    I did a very gentle two miles on Christmas morning. My calves were fine though its in mile 3 that problems tend to occur. However my back ached on Christmas Day - was it caused by the run or by standing in the kitchen peeling veg? Im not sure.

Weve parkrun tomorrow and may use my back support if I still feel uncomfortable. Im apprehensive yet excited to see how I get on.

Comment

Well, 2018 ended really well for me. Did a park run on Saturday (first in a month due to pure laziness) and got 31.11 and was disappointed not to get under 31 seconds. Didn't realise that it was my fastest of 2018 until this morning. Not only that but didn't realise until yesterday that there was an extra one this morning (oddly, persuaded to check by the amount of people mentioning doing the same on the NY matching thread) and, who'da thunk it, I got my best time of this year as well. I am a machine. Only runner in a vest this morning apparently.

Have been putting in a couple of 3 or 4 milers in between the Parkruns as well so have done surprisingly well over the festive period. My hip is absolutely fucked but reduces to a dull pain when running so I am just carrying on. Will have to go to the doctors this week about though.

Comment

If you are disappointed not to get under 31 seconds you should be trying out for the Olympics not Parkrun!

Southport now has a second Parkrun, which started just before Christmas. It's at Kew Woods which is a country park built on what used to be the tip. One of those courses which seems a bit complicated when it's being explained to you but is simple enough once you actually get going. Beforehand when I did it on Saturday everybody had to sing Stand by Me which will somehow stop knife crime.

I was up early this morning to get to Leeds to do double Parkrun. First up was Woodhouse Moor which I walked over many times when I was a student at the university. In my memory it was fairly flat but there is actually quite a slope from one end to the other. Probably the best attended Parkrun I've been to - well over 500 I reckon. Afterwards it was a short trip to Armley which was a bit flatter, although about half the course is on grass which was fairly muddy this morning.

Comment

199 at Carlisle this morning - feels like it was more than other NYD parkruns I've done there but I've not seen any comparisons (we had 257 on Christmas Day which was the best ever Christmas Day turnout there).

I didn't get to bed til nearly 3am last night (though completely sober) but did my best time for a few weeks.

Comment

Running tips #429

Don't wear your GPS watch when doing a murder
                            The health-conscious assassin was picked up for another death, then investigators found his Garmin.

Comment

Next Sunday I am doing the Mad Dog 10k along the front at Southport. The latest email reveals that the starter will be John Barnes. I will be very disappointed if his pre-race advice is anything but "You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line"

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                Next Sunday I am doing the Mad Dog 10k along the front at Southport. The latest email reveals that the starter will be John Barnes. I will be very disappointed if his pre-race advice is anything but "You can be slow or fast but you must get to the line"
                                My sister was doing that, assume it was a bit fresh out there last Sunday?

Hope everyone is making a good start to the year. I've had a a bit of a struggle, had a "good Christmas" and was struggling to get my head into it early in the New Year. Did a Trail 10K for a change of scenery, and nearly sacked it off half a mile in when I joined a queue of 100 people lining up in single file to climb over a stile. There was also a hill so steep I thought I'll walk it, there's no point trying to run that. Then had to stop halfway up, even when walking it. Just not my thing really but need to do a bit more of it to prepare for something I've got planned in the autumn.

I've made an effort to get my act together in the last couple of weeks and this weekend went for the shock therapy of 12 miles yesterday and 12 today, both in changeable weather, came through them well and felt some of the recently missing enthusiasm and drive coming back towards the end of each. GNW Half in Blackpool next week, confronting some demons from last year when I had a nightmare and limped the last two miles with cramp.

Comment

Weather for Mad Dog was pretty decent. It was cold but dry and not windy, which was a big plus given that the course mostly goes along the coast road. Pretty much every other day over the last week has been worse.

So far this year my running has been going pretty well, after a few months of really only doing Parkrun as I was spending my evenings decorating my new house. Moving house has meant I am now in the process of working out new routes for my evening runs.

Comment

In 55 years on this planet I've never had a hamstring injury...until just before Christmas when my left one went changing the bed clothes of all things. I thought everything was ok until last Monday when it went again about 6km into a run so I'm inactive at the moment, very annoying and frustrating.

Comment

I've not been able to run since October with my knee injury (ACL sprain). Every other exercise is basically OK. I can cycle hard. I can lift fairly big weights in the gym using my legs. I can hike (although the knee begins to complain when I do that). But the impact of running is just really painful. Hopefully I'll get back to it in a month or two, but I might be done.

Comment

Working...
                                      X