Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you watch a weir?

I could sit and look at them all day

There’s a small one at the entrance to the Derwent Valley country park which I sometimes ride to/through. I always stop there to see birds, usually at least one statuesque heron but also dippers.
    The other worth-watching thing are the (bits of) trees in the water after heavy rain or floods.

Comment

Actually mine is big compared to the video

Comment

Comment

The one at Ray Mill Island in Maidenhead used to scare me as a kid. Conversely the one at Hambleden was a favourite strolling spot when the future Mrs. S and I were first going out.

“Strolling” is not a euphemism.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
            The one at Ray Mill Island in Maidenhead used to scare me as a kid. Conversely the one at Hambleden was a favourite strolling spot when the future Mrs. S and I were first going out.

weir-dos

Comment

There was one behind my old house, which I'd often watch, particularly when there was a pub next to it. During the 2005 floods the drop disappeared completely and the river just flowed straight over the top.

Comment

I love rivers in general and weirs just add a bit of wonderfulness to the total package.

When I was a kid the frequent trips to visit my grandma in North-East Wales were usually enlivened by the occasional trip to Chester and the weir on the River Dee has always stuck in my mind:

Comment

Pulteney Weir in Bath is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSWx1yOiiWE

And bravo, nef - thread titles that are puns on existing thread titles are one of the few things about otf that bore me; yours is the first I can remember that actually made me chuckle. Chapeau, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

And bravo, nef - thread titles that are puns on existing thread titles are one of the few things about otf that bore me; yours is the first I can remember that actually made me chuckle. Chapeau, sir.

I missed it

Yes, very good.

Comment

Best dam thread in a while...

Comment

They are absolutely ace, as are all forms of water courses in general

Unfortunately, the Hudson is too broad for them, and the Central Park brooks too narrow.

Comment

A couple of Oxford related ones for Nef:

As a kid I used to love the rollers for the punts on the Cherwell that got you down or up the weir next to Parson's Pleasure

Meanwhile, one of my schoolfriends was largely behind the replacement of the weir at Osney Lock with a micro-hydro plant

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0001537/

?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              Meanwhile, one of my schoolfriends was largely behind the replacement of the weir at Osney Lock with a micro-hydro plant
                              Huh...and they say Greta whatshername gets shit done...

Comment

We've got a lock and weir near me that I love.

This is the lock, the building on the left of the photo has been turned in to a cafe with a garden outside where you can watch the lock in action ;

The weir is right next to it and is pretty dramatic :

It hasn't really changed that much since Alfred Sisley painted it (as well as many other local scenes) in the late 19th century ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-12-2019, 16:23.

Comment

Used to spend ages up here in the school holidays not yesterday. Loved it and weirdly enough just thought about it the other day because I'm looking after my great-nephew on Friday and was toying with the idea of taking him up there.

Comment

My Favourite Oxford Weir is probably this one SB.
                                    but there are a lot of them. Gerard Manley Hopkins should have written a poem about them.

like that Sisley weir RdG

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

Yes, it is and has some great boat cock-ups there. We also have Worley Wier which you can swim in -and apparently buy weed at.

Like Ray, I am a fan of locks and canals in general and we have a fair few here.

Comment

Love that Sisley weir too. Underrated, Sisley.

Comment

I used to look at this view a couple of times a day when growing up.This is the view from the Bridge in Cahir. taken when I was about 10. The Church in the background is by John Nash, and is so exquisitely elegant that it will singlehandedly convince you of the merit of architects. There was usually a Heron standing on the stairs in the middle. like this little guy

Though the view looking the other way isn't too bad.

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 17-12-2019, 22:09.

Comment

Working...
                                          X