I've just adopted a humpback whale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just adopted a humpback whale

Well, my Dad has. Fuck knows where he's going to put it.

I used to have one. And a seba's short-tailed bat. And three badgers. And a bear in Greece called Kyriakos.

Comment

My adopted rhino has got four females pregnant in the last 2 years. I feel quite proud of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        My adopted rhino has got four females pregnant in the last 2 years. I feel quite proud of him.
        He sounds horny.

Comment

He needs to be. His species is getting poached out of existence.

Comment

I've got a plastic blue whale somewhere from a visit to the Natural History Museum about 40 years ago.

It's an emblematic souvenir in that it is immediately recognisable and lots of people my age seem to have or once have had one.

There hasn't been much success in getting them to breed as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              Well, my Dad has. Fuck knows where he's going to put it.
              As long as it gives him a sense of porpoise …

Comment

Eugh...they're just awful poached. Pan-fried is the way...

Comment

You've just reminded me of something my lovely wife wanted, so I've adopted a Wolverine in her name from WWF.

Comment

Straight bat is it? Fine.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      You've just reminded me of something my lovely wife wanted, so I've adopted a Wolverine in her name from WWF.
                      I saw one of them in Munich zoo last week. Fierce looking bastard but I struggle to see it being able to bring down a caribou, which is what the information panel said it could do (in the wild presumably, not trotting through Marienplatz on a Thursday night).

Comment

I'm pondering the possibly of setting up some sort of "sponsor a young carer" scheme for my charity. We almost certainly can't send out details about actual young carers due to GDPR, etc, but we could maybe develop generic information and send out factoids about what sort of tasks the young carers help with at home and what we spend the sponsorship money on. It needs a bit more thought, but do you think it would work?

Comment

How do you get two humpback whales in a car?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Hugh Jackman?
                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-12-2019, 17:40.

Comment

My adopted north atlantic humpback whale is female and has had 11 calves with an unknown number of different male whales over the years the team have known her. They sound like they put it about a bit, humpback whales. My dad will like that, he put it about a bit when he was in the merchant navy back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                How do you get two humpback whales in a car?
                                Well obviously you'd unlock all the doors and....hey wait a minute... this is a just a gag, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  My adopted north atlantic humpback whale is female and has had 11 calves with an unknown number of different male whales over the years the team have known her. They sound like they put it about a bit, humpback whales. My dad will like that, he put it about a bit when he was in the merchant navy back in the day.

In all seriousness, have you have a conversation with your old man about his sexual history before he met your mum?

Comment

That's not a conversation I'd envisage having while jumping out of the window was still a live option.

Comment

If he was in the merchant navy and 'put it about a bit', it might be the sort of thing a fella would be prone to talking about in later life.

Comment

Balders, as is the case with most fundraising ideas, I think it is rather dependent on your expected base of contributors.

Ideally, you would want something that will bring new punters in without cannibalising existing support. That is particularly important if the new programme is more restrictive with regard to the entity's use of the funds or otherwise limited (it occurs to me that sponsoring an individual carer could cause the funder to step away when the carer "graduates" or otherwise leaves the programme).

You are almost certainly an infinitely better judge of that anyone of us can be, because you know the population much better. Do you know if any of the local sports clubs have a "sponsor a player" scheme? Those are much more of a thing in England than they are here, and could perhaps give some indication of the community's openness to the concept.

Another approach could be to come up with a prescribed amount (per month or per year) that would be sufficient to fund a single carer but not actually restricted in any way. I believe that this is in fact how most of the "adopt an animal" schemes function in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                          I'm pondering the possibly of setting up some sort of "sponsor a young carer" scheme for my charity. We almost certainly can't send out details about actual young carers due to GDPR, etc, but we could maybe develop generic information and send out factoids about what sort of tasks the young carers help with at home and what we spend the sponsorship money on. It needs a bit more thought, but do you think it would work?
                                          I think this sounds great. It would be interesting to create 'generic' profiles of carers to give potential donors an idea of what these carers are dealing with. ie " 'Richard' is 15 years old. Before school and after, he helps his mum who has MS to clean the house, cook family meals and raise his 8 year old sister. Your donation of £5 a month will ensure he has coverage one evening each week so that he can go to a movie / football game / supporters' meeting to help him cope / relax."

I think there's a lot of equity in the idea of Support Those Who Support Others / Care for A Carer / 'you're helping to shoulder the load'.

Let me know if you need someone to write stuff. S'wot I do.

Comment

I might well take you up on that offer WOM, thanks. Let me run the idea past the board first.

Comment

Working...
                                            X