Poll - Next Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She’s incorrigible

shes running against the Daily Mail‘s caricature of the Labour Party.

[URL]https://twitter.com/philbc3/status/1227921832751386624?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Long but very good piece by Owen Hatherley

[URL]https://twitter.com/owenhatherley/status/1228085917388345346?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Yes, it's the best thing I've read on the leadership issue by miles. Not that the competition's particularly stiff.

Comment

https://twitter.com/leninology/status/1227978449530302466?s=20

Comment

The Labour Right will treat Starmer as leader the way they treated Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown - a steady stream of negative off-record briefings to the media about their "concerns" about him. The positive for Starmer is the Labour Right is much weaker now than it was back then, and has fewer MPs.

Comment

But the press no longer seems to care whether someone is an actual MP. From Blair to Alan Johnson to ian Austin, they can still get on Newsnight and be quoted as a senior labour figure as well

Comment

Austin publicly told his constituents to vote Tory. Maybe as Likud weren't standing

Comment

Late, but that Hatherley piece is indeed very good

Starmer does strike me as rather wooden on his feet for a QC. Has anyone seen him in court? I remember the McLibel trial, but don't recall his performance having garnered accolades.

And yes, I realise that this likely has little to do with his appeal (or lack thereof) to the vast majority of the electorate.

On a related note, it is striking to me how little play the Green New Deal has gotten in the Democratic "leadership contest".

Comment

People don't really care about green issues yet in an urgent sense. See also the Irish election, housing and healthcare trumped everything else.

Comment

At least housing and healthcare are issues that affect almost everyone. Many of those featuring in the Labour leadership process aren't. They all face months of nodding along and trying to look sincere while the presenter shrills about antisemitism over and again. Once Starmer probably is elected the Media will just find something else to beat him up about
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 14-02-2020, 16:53. Reason: Predictive text prompted Starker. I have no interest in him naked

Comment

My mate emerges stumbling and blinking into the light from his Labour treasury team bunker to offer some historical perspectives

Comment

Working...
                        X