No announcement yet.

Poll - Next Labour Party Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's a part of Left Twitter anyways, often published in the lrb.

Comment

He's a co-founder of Novara Media.

Comment

he works for Novara Media amongst other places.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
          The general tactics with RLB has been to gaslight here. One of the other candidates, or a pundit, floats an idea that RLB's suggested and supported, and then chides the Left for not having any proper thinking on the subject. John Harris is a master of this art.
          I see that workers having more of a say in the companies that they work in is being floated as an idea in today's Graun.

Comment

Worrying to note that Starmer's name is not on this letter. I hope it was just because he was not available to sign it
            https://twitter.com/rohantalbot/status/1223171279374688258

Comment

Corbyn's not on it yet either. Could be still gathering signatures. Quite a few of Labour righties on that list, reassuringly.

Comment

Corbyn is on it, first page of signatures (it's in alphabetical order)

Comment

I imagine Greens Lucas and Bennett (who is guest of honor at our Brum winter picnic tomorrow) will both sign if they can

Comment

Not really catching fire, this, is it? Recently, it does feel like RLB is coming across a bit more impressively, and has a certain consistency the others lack, though Nandy is the strongest media performer. But I've been put off by some of the odd stuff she's come out with - first the ludicrous Scotland/Spain analogy, and now her fluffing up of Labour councils by offering to give them permanent NEC seats, seemingly oblivious to Labour councils' unpopularity and (small c) conservatism in much of the country.

And this is an important contribution to that debate

Starmer just seems to be playing it safe doesn't he? Maybe that's all he needs to do, but some of us need to be convinced a bit more.

Comment

It's all very low key and dreadfully drawn-out. On the upside the final selection will be well-considered but a slightly snappier process may have raised the contest's profile and given the new leader, whoever he or she is, a bit of a launchpad.

Thornberry has two more days to get the backing of another 10 CLPs (or three affiliates, but, well, you know...) or she's out, which would really be best for all concerned because she's got no chance of winning and isn't adding much to the debate as far as I can see.

Comment

Not really catching fire, this, is it? Recently, it does feel like RLB is coming across a bit more impressively, and has a certain consistency the others lack, though Nandy is the strongest media performer. But I've been put off by some of the odd stuff she's come out with - first the ludicrous Scotland/Spain analogy, and now her fluffing up of Labour councils by offering to give them permanent NEC seats, seemingly oblivious to Labour councils' unpopularity and (small c) conservatism in much of the country.

And this is an important contribution to that debate

Starmer just seems to be playing it safe doesn't he? Maybe that's all he needs to do, but some of us need to be convinced a bit more.
                        Many Labour councils being utter shit is really a vastly underdiscussed issue that probably hurts the party when it tries to promise big-ass change.

Comment

RLB, Rayner, Butler and one other have all signed the Labour Campaign for Trans Rights:- https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1227230364961210368

Starmer hasn't, and I will be writing to him about it. There is no excuse for any member not to sign. Labour has a serious problem with transphobia, as a swift glance at the replies to LCTR's tweet will show, and so do the political and media spheres in general. I am heartily sick of being thrown under the bus by triangulating bigots, and if they elect a leader who has not publicly stated their support for trans people then I won't be voting for them again in any election.

Those who think these are concerns with theory and 'not relevant to working class people', read this - https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1227565956446261248 It doesn't get much more 'real life problems' than having a hostile bigoted atmosphere whipped up for a person at their new job. We need an opposition who will stand up, not one that meets with hate groups (hello Andy Burnham).

Comment

Doesn't help that Starmer had his mother-in-law in intensive care then pass away. I think both sides have been a little wary of doing things that look a bit too much like campaigning for the past couple of weeks while that situation resolved itself. Plus once the candidates got over the threshold for the next stage, they might want to keep their powder dry for a bit.

Edit: In response to E10 Rifle. Thread moved on quickly.

Comment

AH, it appears that the LGB Alliance actually misrepresented who they are to secure a meeting with Burnham - https://twitter.com/MayorofGM/status/1227637382083698689

My apologies to Andy, and that should tell you something else about the LGB Alliance.

On a more positive note, I really like Dawn Butler.

Comment

That's a fair point Snake.

And Starmer's done some pledges

Comment

On a more positive note, I really like Dawn Butler.
                                  Yeah, she's deffo getting my first-pref vote for deputy

Comment

Yeah, she's deffo getting my first-pref vote for deputy
                                    mine too

Comment

Pleased to hear it. I like that 'Abolish Universal Credit' are the first three words in one of Starmer's pledges. Might start with approving that when I write to him (should probably note that at this point that he's my MP, I'm not writing to every leadership candidate demanding they support trans rights).

This is quite personal to me as I'm 90% sure that a former friend of nearly 30 years was radicalised against trans people by members of her CLP (ironically she left over the anti-semitism thing).
                                      Last edited by delicatemoth; 12-02-2020, 19:25.

Comment

Anyone else see the Labour leadership debate on Newsnight tonight? I thought it was very good, covered a lot of ground in a short space of time and was well conducted by Katie Razzall.

FWIW, I thought that Lisa Nandy came across very well - straight-talking, analytical, articulate and with a vision. Starmer did OK but there's a certain testiness about his manner that I've found offputting since his time as DPP. RLB did well too, well-informed, articulate responses but she's just a bit wooden. Thornberry was out of her depth as per, waffling away without seemingly a single pre-considered answer for any question she faced.

There weren't too many disagreements (RLB took umbrage at Thornberry's suggestion that she wasn't as tough on antisemitism as she and Keir were, but that was about it), though immigration and the current trans rights spat caused some difficulty.

All quite impressive.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1227618677358505984?s=20

Comment

Nandy sounded a couple of alarming notes about how she might drift rightward, by having a dig at the anti-war policies of other candidates and at "nationalisation", "unaffordable promises" on things like student fees before backtracking and saying she'd abolish them. So that was about as clear as mud. She's the best media performer of the four of them though. RLB was articulate and consistent but still comes across as a bit wooden in those circs, though she came across well on Iain Dale's show the other day

Comment

Lisa Nandy backing Boris Johnson-and lying like a trooper kn the process.

[URL]https://twitter.com/red____dawn/status/1227908802701398016?s=21[/URL]

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/andymcdonaldmp/status/1227899830179188736?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Ah yeah, buses: a couple of years ago, Corbs devoted an entire PMQs to them, and was sneered at to buggery by the commentariat and beyond.

Thee years later: "Corbyn never listened to people's real concerns in Towns, like buses."

Nandy running with this is concerning.

Comment

It’s a toss up between Deepak
                                                    Nandy and Ralph Miliband to see which will win the speed record for „Marxist dad spinning in his grave“

David was approvingly quote tweeting intellectual giant Wes Streeting yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X