No announcement yet.

Lolz nicked off teh interweb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have the meme conversations around the dinner table (or at least my daughters do). Some I know, some I don't, some are funny, others not in the least (though some of the unfunny ones seem to crack my younger daughter up the most). But the really funny bit is that my other half doesn't get it all. The concept of memes full stop. She's asked a million times "what's a meme?" and every one of us has explained it, but then it comes round again and again. Now the two of them make memes about their mother's incomprehension. I think she's OK with that, but sometimes I worry

Comment

You say that EEG, but I remember in our German class, one of the text books involved a character called "Sabine Fuchs", at which, of course, we all snot-snickered. The teacher had to restore order, as presumably he had to do year in, year out; "All right, all right, we all know what 'Fuchs" means." But of all the names they had available to them, back in the 70s, or even late 60s, when this textbook was published, did it occur to no one involved that the use of this particular surname was going to result in thousands upon thousands of pupil-minutes wasted in putting down outbursts of laughter?

Comment

Yeah, the first time L asked about it, she unfortunately pronounced it "What's a memmy", so that has taken on a life of its own.

Comment

She also got angry once and said "No, you can't watch your pokey-mans". which was (and occasionally still is) greeted with peels of helpless laughter.

Comment

I've heard people pronounce meme as meh-may too. Although thats not as ridiculous as the current fashion of people pronouncing BAME to rhyme with name.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              thats not as ridiculous as the current fashion of people pronouncing BAME to rhyme with name
              How is it pronounced? I've no idea.

Comment

I pronounce it B A M E.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    I have to admit, having two teenagers, I've come to appreciate the sly pervasive humour of memes in dinner table conversation.
                    It's all a bit puerile, but yes, my 16 year old nephew made me aware, and anything that brings a smile to people that age, in this time can only be a good thing.
                    Not only that, many people that age have a sense of humour that fascinates me. He's so much more knowing than I was at that age.

Comment

Originally posted by wingco View Post
                      You say that EEG, but I remember in our German class, one of the text books involved a character called "Sabine Fuchs", at which, of course, we all snot-snickered. The teacher had to restore order, as presumably he had to do year in, year out; "All right, all right, we all know what 'Fuchs" means." But of all the names they had available to them, back in the 70s, or even late 60s, when this textbook was published, did it occur to no one involved that the use of this particular surname was going to result in thousands upon thousands of pupil-minutes wasted in putting down outbursts of laughter?
                      I see your Sabine Fuchs and raise you a Bernd Koch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                        ...anything that brings a smile to people that age, in this time can only be a good thing.
                        I'm not sure that's always true...

Comment

Years ago we had a degree programme called 'Combined studies' that covered any and every combo of 2 or more subjects and so the assessment boards would last several days, sometimes all week. In the circumstances of a long day in a fairly airless room with a large body of people (every discipline had to be represented) people got a bit light-headed and the slightest funny name could set them off.
                          I was quite stern in my judgement of colleagues who made no effort to pronounce names from other languages and cultures, or found anything that wasn't Smith and Jones funny but then, late in the day I found myself having to read out 'there are extenuating circumstances for Joke Kok'...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            I'm not sure that's always true...
                            Yes, not anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                              Like the kids in my fourth form class (that's age 14-15 for those not familiar with British school year numbering from back in the day).
                              Thanks for using a term for a school year that, for once, means something to me.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1359434714243862529

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I see your Sabine Fuchs and raise you a Bernd Koch.
                                  In the mid-1990s, Arminia Bielefeld could have seen your Bernd Koch and raised you a Fuchs and Kuntz up front, with a Georg Koch in goal.
                                  Last edited by treibeis; 12-02-2021, 22:20.

Comment

The Fuchs is a Boro legend.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Pixelcreambit/status/1360985107587284993?s=20

Comment

https://twitter.com/cath_slessor/status/1360989936002994177?s=20

Comment

Comment

Looks like pancake day has creped up on me again

Comment

Comment

It's all fun and games until it turns out to be a shape-shifting alien.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  I'll try that

4/20 is some Grateful Dead related dope smoking thing I believe. 69 is a sex position. How they fit together and what the "nice" thing signifies are beyond me
                                                  It’s a Stonks / Investments / 4chan / world is a meme kind of joke.

I now realize I clearly don’t frequent this thread and it jumped me in the chat about a week ago.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1362033655242194946?s=19

Comment

Working...
                                                    X