Lolz nicked off teh interweb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Because you fuckers can't stay on topic.

Speaking of which, what happened to Topics?
    It's more that the discussion gradually degrades, like a Chinese whisper.

Mmmm...

Comment

Surely you mean a Chinese wispa.

Comment

I remember cigar adverts - I didn't realise they'd been banned by the time I turned 7 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

It's more that the discussion gradually degrades, like a Chinese whisper.

Mmmm...
          Fun fact. In China, Chinese whispers is known as 'Telephone'. Or it was in Chongqing in 2005-2007. At that time, the landlines were still fairly dodgy. I'd sometimes accidentally tap into other people's phone calls.

Comment

As it is in the US

Comment

Etymology[edit]

As the game is popular among children worldwide, it is also known under various other names depending on locality, such as Russian scandal, whisper down the lane, broken telephone (in Poland), operator, grapevine, gossip, don't drink the milk, secret message, the messenger game, and pass the message, among others. In France, it is called téléphone arabe (Arabic telephone) or téléphone sans fil (wireless telephone). In Malaysia, this game is commonly referred to as telefon rosak, in Israel as telefon shavur (טלפון שבור) and in Greece as spazmeno tilefono (σπασμένο τηλέφωνο) which all translate to "broken telephone". In the United States, the game is known under the name telephone – which in this use is never shortened to the colloquial and more common word phone.

Historians trace Westerners' use of the word Chinese to denote "confusion" and "incomprehensibility" to the earliest contacts between Europeans and Chinese people in the 17th century, and attribute it to Europeans' inability to understand China's culture and worldview. Using the phrase "Chinese whispers" suggested a belief that the Chinese language itself is not understandable. Additionally, Chinese people have historically been stereotyped by Westerners as secretive or inscrutable. The more fundamental metonymic use of the name of a foreign language to represent a broader class of situations involving foreign languages or difficulty of understanding a language is also captured in older idioms, such as "It's all Greek to me".

The game has no winner: the entertainment comes from comparing the original and final messages. Intermediate messages may also be compared; some messages will become unrecognizable after only a few steps.

As well as providing amusement, the game can have educational value. It shows how easily information can become corrupted by indirect communication. The game has been used in schools to simulate the spread of gossip and its supposed harmful effects.It can also be used to teach young children to moderate the volume of their voice,and how to listen attentively;in this case, a game is a success if the message is transmitted accurately with each child whispering rather than shouting. It can also be used for older or adult learners of a foreign language, where the challenge of speaking comprehensibly, and understanding, is more difficult because of the low volume, and hence a greater mastery of the fine points of pronunciation is required.

Comment

It's Cadbury's "Dream" bars I miss.

Comment

You really are a great big grumpy old Hector, aren't you.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

You really are a great big grumpy old Hector, aren't you.
                    From you that's practically a compliment

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                      Surely you mean a Chinese wispa.
                      Surely you mean a Chinese Wispa purple monkey dishwasher.

Comment

I used to get the kids in my classes to play 'Chinese whispers / telephone' quite often. The classes were huge, often up to 60 kids per class, set out rigidly in grids of small desks. I'd get each line of kids to compete to convey a sentence accurately from the front to the back of the class. It was one of the few ways to get every kid to say something. Then you get the kid from the front to go to the back and everyone moves back one desk and repeat.

Comment

The game is often skewed by people deliberately getting the words wrong.

Comment

There’s always someone who comes along and dampens the mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                              You sure?

pipe tobacco and cigars only by that time, surely?

Fag ads on the telly went in the 60s IIRC?

Though persisted in print and on billboards.

And sport sponsorships.
                              I recall a ‘general’ television commercial for Rothman’s (‘the finest tobacco in the world’) that went out during World Of Sport in 1971: it would have to have been then because we hadn’t proper access to ITV before that time. Pretty much all cigarette advertising on TV went in the sixties though, yes.

Comment

Spoilers!!!

Comment

And Pele’s pin says “No To Impotence”

Comment

Platini's says 'drogue'. No mention of corruption anywhere.

Comment

I thought that was the gag, such as it is

Comment

Comment

Comment

Need sound.

[URL]https://twitter.com/kingkielbasa22/status/1214789120750489602[/URL]

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                What you really want is hedgehogs eating watermelon:

That's the palest watermelon I've ever seen....

Comment

Bloody clickbait thumbnails. Fooled again!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X