Lolz nicked off teh interweb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Do we have Freddos? I always assumed they were a US thing.
    What? Freddos are a UK only thing I think. Made by Cadburys.

Comment

Comment

We don't have these here

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

What? Freddos are a UK only thing I think. Made by Cadburys.
          Australian, originally. From the now defunct MacRobertson's. Knowing that, the "-o" suffix suddenly makes more sense.

Comment

Yeah I think it's the name that made me think it wasn't from here.

Don't think I've ever had one.

Comment

It's literally just Dairy Milk in the shape of a cartoon frog's face, isn't it? I mean, you're not missing out on anything unique, by any stretch of the imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                Australian, originally. From the now defunct MacRobertson's. Knowing that, the "-o" suffix suddenly makes more sense.
                And seconded, this does indeed make sense now.

Comment

The first time that my mum allowed me and my brother to walk unaccompanied across the common we lived on to the sweet shop, we bought Freddos. This was during the brand's short 1970s UK appearance. The memory always stuck with me and a few years ago I ended up buying a Freddo ceramic jar like the one below. It never contains any Freddos because, as pointed out above, the experience of actually eating one is underwhelming, sentiment notwithstanding.

Comment

Freddo bars were released onto the U.K. market in 1973 and withdrawn in 1979. They were re-launched after 15 years.

Comment

Think the bar was called ‘Freddo Frog’ in its original incarnation?

Geared toward pre-school kids, IIRC. (Those critical of the eating experience might bear that in mind.)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          Think the bar was called ‘Freddo Frog’ in its original incarnation?

Geared toward pre-school kids, IIRC. (Those critical of the eating experience might bear that in mind.)
                          Chocolate bars for pre-school kids? Good god.

Comment

https://i.imgur.com/kAJeA6t.mp4

Comment

Er... yes? Something rather joyless about proscribing chocolate bars until a child is six, isn't there? Buttons, Milky Bar, Kinder Eggs, Milky Way / magic stars - that's the market your Freddo is operating in.
                              Last edited by Kevin S; 23-12-2019, 14:13.

Comment

Freddo bars were released onto the U.K. market in 1973 and withdrawn in 1979. They were re-launched after 15 years.
                                Ahh, this also makes sense to me. I was born in 1979 and have no memory of them being around while I was a kid. Now I know why.

Asda, Cardiff, today – Freddo appears to be going around with a blind (?) monkey these days:

Comment

Comment

How come every thread these days quickly defaults to a discussion on junk food or candy?

Comment

Now I feel bad.

Although in fairness a thread entitled “Lolz nicked off teh interweb” is unlikely to feature OTF’s most highbrow content.

Comment

This was in the 1970s. We had commercials for cigarettes on daytime TV as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          How come every thread these days quickly defaults to a discussion on junk food or candy?
                                          If you can't think with your stomach at Christmas, when can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            This was in the 1970s. We had commercials for cigarettes on daytime TV as well.
                                            You sure?

pipe tobacco and cigars only by that time, surely?

Fag ads on the telly went in the 60s IIRC?

Though persisted in print and on billboards.

And sport sponsorships.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              Asda, Cardiff, today – Freddo appears to be going around with a blind (?) monkey these days:
                                              "Where we're going, we won't need eyes..."

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                Because you fuckers can't stay on topic.

Speaking of which, what happened to Topics?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Er... yes? Something rather joyless about proscribing chocolate bars until a child is six, isn't there? Buttons, Milky Bar, Kinder Eggs, Milky Way / magic stars - that's the market your Freddo is operating in.
                                                  I've always thought it was fascinating the things that are "joyful" for different people. Shit chocolate pushed at little kids isn't one of mine, but it takes all sorts.

Comment

All television commercials for cigarettes were banned on 1 August 1965, although commercials for loose tobacco and cigars continued until 1991.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X