Clear All

Comment

Comment

https://twitter.com/ImBuddhish/status/1448979917484474370

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I have been laughing at this for about three days straight. There's one swear if that could be an issue at work.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        I'm the only person in my immediate family who understood this. Mainly because they didn't get the connection between the telephone book ("wha...?"} and the spider.

Comment

I got it too!

Comment

I hadn't realised that you were related.

Comment

Comment

Medals have been awarded for less ...

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1451959445857071110

Comment

Oh yes.

Very clever

230 - 220 x 0.5 = 5!

https://twitter.com/plum_perfect/sta...99375649443841

Comment

I think I saw that 230 - 220 x 0.5 = 5! thing about seven or eight years ago.

Comment

I don't get the joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                        I don't get the joke?
                                        Neither do I.

Comment

By convention multiplication trumps addition/subtractions, so 230 - 220 x 0.5 is the same as 230 - (220 x 0.5) = 230 - 110 = 120. 5! is mathematical nomenclature for 5 factorial, which is 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120. So 230 - 220 x 0.5 = 120 = 5!
                                          If you are not familiar with the convention of which functions take priority, then you may read 230 - 220 x 0.5 as being (230 - 220) x 0.5, in other words do the subtraction part first as it's written first. This would give the answer 10 x 0.5, or 5, which would be incorrect.
                                          Outside of maths ! means something different, so the joke here is that the answer looks incorrect but is actually correct.
                                          Hopefully I kind of explained it decently.

Comment

An exclamation point after a number indicates factorial, so in this case 5x4x3x2x1, which is 120, which is the answer of you include the omitted brackets from the first half of the sum:
                                            230 - (220 x 0.5) = 120

EDIT: as explained above

Comment

Indeed. The "joke" is that people who remember the BIDMAS operator order from school but fail to recognise the exclamation mark as a factorial symbol will exclaim "but you do the multiplication first, so the answer is 120, not 5", to which someone who is asking for a slap will give you a smug look and say something like "well of course, duh, that's what it says, cos 5! equals 120."

The version I saw years ago contextualised the "exclamation mark" with something like "you won't believe it, but the answer is 5!"

Edit: By "cos" of course, I mean "because". It would be incorrect if I'd meant "cosine of".
                                              Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 26-10-2021, 16:24.

Comment

Thanks both!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X