Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    https://twitter.com/desdelboy/status/1667911674790125568?t=kjygzhcO2ALmypUC9FM5vQ&s=19

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    https://twitter.com/fjamie013/status/1666478500130201600

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Read Joe Orton's diaries; Kenneth Williams was gay, but never openly out. That might've changed when his father died.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    The laughter is definitely with him, and, like Frankie Howard, he was as 'out' as you could be in a time when gay relationships were illegal.

Kenneth Williams diaries are well worth reading, very sad. There were so many parts of his life that he was disappointed and angry about.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    I keep meaning to start a thread about Round the Horne and the Carry Ons. I guess more about Kenneth Williams.

Specifically with Round the Horne, is the laughter with Williams or is it homophobic? Was Williams 'out'?

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    The pickets active in our strikes this year demanded a screening of Carry on at Your Convenience at the Cineclub I run, as a sarcastic comment on our union leadership. Reluctantly agreed but it was genuinely interesting discussing it with students who knew what they were but had never seen one.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Plodder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    ll the Carry On films are pretty grim. The British Film Industry should be ashamed that they ever got made. They really are appallingly bad.
    100%

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    I used to adore the Carry On films when I was a child. They're horrendously sexist, racist, homophobic, ableist, etc, which is presumably why they're almost never on TV any more. I was thinking about them the other day and wondering whether it would be appropriate to show the kids a couple of the "better" ones, like perhaps Carry On Cowboy and Carry On Screaming, but they're only available on Prime if you pay extra to rent them, which I object to.
    All the Carry On films are pretty grim. The British Film Industry should be ashamed that they ever got made. They really are appallingly bad.
    If you must punish your children, however, you can do it at no charge whatsoever as they are all free on ITVX.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I used to adore the Carry On films when I was a child. They're horrendously sexist, racist, homophobic, ableist, etc, which is presumably why they're almost never on TV any more. I was thinking about them the other day and wondering whether it would be appropriate to show the kids a couple of the "better" ones, like perhaps Carry On Cowboy and Carry On Screaming, but they're only available on Prime if you pay extra to rent them, which I object to.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/magpiekilljoy/status/1664743013913088000?s=20

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Anyway, the reason it was a story was because one of the two geezers killed was one of those gynecologists who used his own sperm to impregnate clients and was being sued.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    "fell"

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    "Preliminary investigations indicate the wings fell off the aircraft’s body and landed in an orchard and what was left of the aircraft traveled briefly before crashing, the sheriff’s office said. The National Transportation Safety Board is also investigating the wreck, according to the news release."

'traveled briefly' without wings...

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Oh

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Yes, and funny enough to justify the work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X