Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see a few recent Ireland Thinks / Sindo polls had PBP/Solidarity as the leading party of the left.

Comment

Sorry, I'm also posting on a UK thread about Irish politics, my bad.

Comment

https://twitter.com/DrRoundglasses/status/1598280345924739072?s=20&t=3M3eg7Y89x72pKIeQZAvGQ

Comment

When Westminster pushes its own vision of devolution upon Cornwall:

https://twitter.com/CllrDickCole/status/1598633879807598595

Comment

Is this really about devolution/independence or should it be in the disgusting police activities thread?

Comment

It's a bit of both, isn't it?

Comment

Anyone would think some of these things are connected

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  It's a bit of both, isn't it?
                  As Drakeford isn't pro-Indy, I just found it a bit confusing.

Comment

How far away do we think Drakeford actually is from a pro-indy position? I always get the impression that he personally would have no real issue, but as leader of the Labour party it's not a position he can actually hold at this stage

Comment

I would imagine most Welsh Labour First Ministers so far have favoured the devo max option, getting financial powers through one referendum, followed by the symbolic upgrade from an Assembly to a Parliament/Senedd, even if no extra authority came as a result of that name change.

Comment

Latest opinion polls show 66% of voters in the Republic of Ireland in favour of unity, however only 26% in the North feel the same way.

Comment

I get the feeling performatively singing the Wolftones is probably more popular with the kids in the 26 than the frozen North these days, especially as under 40s up there are more likely to have had occasion to meet the Men of Honour.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
                            How far away do we think Drakeford actually is from a pro-indy position? I always get the impression that he personally would have no real issue, but as leader of the Labour party it's not a position he can actually hold at this stage
                            I think he favours staying in the union to further the cause across the UK, even as the main party lurches to the right and clearly gives fuck all about solidarity or unions. Labour for an Imdependent Wales reckon about half of Labour members in Wales are pro-Indy.

Also he's of an age demographic that is much more Indy-skeptic and while I'd say he seems more.progressive than many in that bracket, he is fairly representative of them when it comes to his unionism.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                              I would imagine most Welsh Labour First Ministers so far have favoured the devo max option, getting financial powers through one referendum, followed by the symbolic upgrade from an Assembly to a Parliament/Senedd, even if no extra authority came as a result of that name change.

that's not Devo Max though, that's just slowly getting the same financial powers the Scotch pretendy Parliament had since 1999. And they are inching toward their own legal system I suppose, which Scotland has had since forever.

Comment

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/1203/13...-opinion-poll/

50% of Northern Irish people would vote no in a border poll, including a quarter of catholics. Tgat's a lot of free staters in the six counties

Who knew that southern sinn fein running around telling everyone that the imminent victory of the decent and justified IRA was at hand, might have a chilling effect on sentiment in Northern Ireland.

Comment

Well, if obsessive hatred of trans people helps break up the UK then that's some kind of silver lining...!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63909309

Comment

The WM mob recognise other folks' certs from other countries with the same laws, so this will fail at ECHR. But the point is the 2 for 1 bantz, chip away at devolved matters and attack the trans community at the same time.

Comment

A UK government source told the BBC that they had concerns people from elsewhere in the UK may relocate to Scotland to change gender.

And they claimed Scottish ministers wanted to paint Scotland as a "haven of inclusivity" in comparison to a "nasty Westminster".
                                      You don't fucking say. I love how they present this as an optics issue.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1614974385458225153

Comment

So they finally play shenanigans over a gammon culture war? Fuck sake. With the state of the Supreme Court the cunts will probably win as well.

Comment

What a ridiculous hill for the Union to die on.

Comment

I guess the thinking is it will split the Nats and all the Famous Lawyer aligned bigots will find themselves vigorously agreeing with unionist interventionism.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                What a ridiculous hill for the Union to die on.
                                                Hopefully...

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                  I guess the thinking is it will split the Nats and all the Famous Lawyer aligned bigots will find themselves vigorously agreeing with unionist interventionism.
                                                  Oh no, they're going to hive off a tumour on the movement, while aggressively radicalising everyone under 30, and a lot more besides. How will the campaign for scottish independence survive this blow?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                    The phrase "no true Scotsman" takes on multiple levels of meaning.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X