Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, rhyme not scan.

If the rest of the poem is in English then it would probably be better as Cymraeg unless the line was "Gawn ni sgwrs yn Gymraeg?"

Comment

Interesting POV

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1344622351128928258?s=19

Comment

I still can't see unity in my lifetime, but I'm sure Erich Honecker said the same thing about Germany in 1988.

Comment

Weirdly I've been getting told on Facebook that Wales is too poor to be independent by a Scottish chap who describes himself as a proud Scot on his profile, but really really think everyone supporting Welsh independence is dumb as fuck and doesn't realise that England "subsidises" Wales. I don't know what his problem is or why he's got his sporran in a twist.

Comment

"Proud Scot" is code for Unionist wank.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

No, it's a soft mutation (or would be if it was yn Gymraeg).

Although yn usually triggers the nasal mutation (yn Nghymru = in Wales), yn Gymraeg is short for yn y Gymraeg (in the Welsh Language) - and the mutation is the soft one caused by y on feminine* nouns and not the nasal one caused by yn even when the y is dropped.

* Cymraeg (and languages in general) are actually mixed gender i think
                Interesting. Ta. I'd say I've always wondered, but it would be more accurate to say I've occasionally speculated. Apologies to Duncan. <Smiley again.>

I would be interested in whether Welsh speakers do use mutations when mixing lexis, but I understand that folk (gwerin) have better things to do with their NYE.

Blwydden Newydd Hapus i gyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                  Would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Comment

Mick Antoniw is the Labour Senedd member quoted. I'd not previously picked up any leaning towards independence.

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1344593152523591680?s=19

Comment

The Scottish cultural cringe, or how Caledonian society can be analysed through a post-colonial lens.

Comment

How Yes Cymru needs to adopt a universal approach to avoid the mistakes of Plaid:

https://hiraethblogcymru.medium.com/...aw-cefca11ea0b

Comment

I don't think that's really what the article is saying. The article is pushing back against claims that Yes Cymru is a movement that promotes Cymraeg at the expense of English. Because it's not. But for that matter neither is Plaid.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            I don't think that's really what the article is saying. The article is pushing back against claims that Yes Cymru is a movement that promotes Cymraeg at the expense of English. Because it's not. But for that matter neither is Plaid.
                            It does spend a weirdly long amount of time arguing against a position no-one holds (that everyone in Wales should only speak Welsh.

Comment

I think that's because it's a blog post rather than an actual news source.

Comment

I think Plaid are making a few mistakes if they assume Yes Cymru members will vote for them. And on their positioning about the EU. Although as a party they do need a policy position on that.

(Before anyone asks, I think it would be fair enough for Plaid to fudge it, and say that Gweriniaeth Cymru would be starting from outside the EU, that it would need to negotiate its own trading relationship, and that if EU membership was offered to Gweriniaeth Cymru then that would need to be agreed with a mandate from the people. That would allow them to pursue EU membership without being held accountable if it was unattainable, and reflects more how I see the first 5 years of Europe's newest republic going.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                  "Proud Scot" is code for Unionist wank.
                                  "Proud to be Scottish .
                                  Delighted to be united"

Comment

The Welsh Tories are out and out opponents of everything the Welsh Government does because they're opponents of Cymru having any form of self determination. But they are being made to look like idiots time and again for attacking things that then happen in England.

https://twitter.com/padrigmcg/status/1346202275316981760?s=19

Comment

Wales appears to have annexed Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol:

https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1348619883723038722

Comment

Sssshhhh you're giving away our plan

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                          Wales appears to have annexed Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol:

https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1348619883723038722
                                          It's about the water they use. Liverpool should be in there too.

Comment

Yes Cymru have passed 17,000 members

Comment

Ah, it's not just federalism, it's "radical" federalism, and not a meaningless word salad in the slightest.

Comment

Who are these fannies? When something begins by quoting fuckin Broon you know it's worse than useless.

Comment

Presumably in UK Labour, given they mention both Starmer and Brown.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1349747478015447043

Comment

Working...
                                                    X