Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

The regional breakdown is weird. I'm not sure whether the North trailing is because the Senedd is seen as a Cardiff thing or if they said no to devo max because they want full independence. Or if it's just because they have more old people.
    The old people are often people who've not lived in Wales their whole life and have moved there to retire.

Comment

And the Cheshire Set who've occupied Abersock.

Comment

More surprising to me is the S.East figure up at 63. This is the area that was, iirc, the strongest against devolution in 97. I think Newport voted 1 to 4 against.

Comment

The regional breakdown is weird. I'm not sure whether the North trailing is because the Senedd is seen as a Cardiff thing or if they said no to devo max because they want full independence. Or if it's just because they have more old people.
          The difference between Cardiff and the North is nearly entirely be explained away as an artefact of the different age profiles between North Wales and Cardiff.

If you plug in those figures for age into ONS data for population it suggests that simply based on age profile 55% of people in North Wales and 63% of people in Cardiff would be in favour of Devo Max, so pretty close to any margin of error.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

The difference between Cardiff and the North is nearly entirely be explained away as an artefact of the different age profiles between North Wales and Cardiff.

If you plug in those figures for age into ONS data for population it suggests that simply based on age profile 55% of people in North Wales and 63% of people in Cardiff would be in favour of Devo Max, so pretty close to any margin of error.
            Presumably there would be significant differences between the North-West (more Welsh-speaking), and the North-East (less so, more influenced by Liverpool and Cheshire)?

Comment

I don't think it's that simple. A lot of retirees or people with money and a hankering for a James Bond villain style clifftop lair live in the West.

Mind you, increasing numbers of people on social media seem to be saying "I'm English and live in Wales and I think Wales should be independent."

Comment

And the Cheshire Set who've occupied Abersock.
                Great typo.

I'll come clean, I want Welsh independence because I like mountains and coasts, I want to move out of Westminster jurisdiction, NZ is a bit too far without flying a lot of miles and I just can not learn fucking German. I promise to be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Presumably there would be significant differences between the North-West (more Welsh-speaking), and the North-East (less so, more influenced by Liverpool and Cheshire)?
                  If you look at the 2011 referendum, the bottom 4 counties in terms of yes vote (as a proportion of eligible voters) went Newport, Wrexham, Monmouthshire, Flintshire. However, Wrexham also had the second smallest proportion of eligible voters voting no.

Gwynedd and Anglesey are in the top four in terms of yes vote as a percentage of registered voters, but Anglesey was carried for yes by a similar percentage to Wrexham. Which suggests that voters in the North East are simply less engaged about devolution than voters in the North West (though of course, that might also be another artefact of population age).

Course that all might have changed in the last decade.
                  Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 20-11-2020, 17:11.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

Great typo.
                    Deliberate misspelling. The way the Cheshire Set say it (on Twitter anyways)

Comment

Deliberate misspelling. The way the Cheshire Set say it (on Twitter anyways)
                      Ah! Cheers.

Comment

Welsh Labour softening on independence? Maybe they realised 51% of Labour voters are pro-Indy now.

https://twitter.com/YesCymru/status/1330868237744082944?s=19

Comment

At least they've learnt from the fate and useless embrace of Ultra Unionism of their useless Slab brethren. Wonder how long before HQ and Starmer slap them down for having Notions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            At least they've learnt from the fate and useless embrace of Ultra Unionism of their useless Slab brethren. Wonder how long before HQ and Starmer slap them down for having Notions.
                            It does seem like they've learnt lessons from North of the border, and with their being no SNP equivalent they didn't need to in the short term. Johnson and Starmer will fuck them over regardless.

Comment

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1332278498753392640

Comment

With JR-M's assistance, the Nats can put their feet up.
                                If he keep's this sh*te up, they've got Indy in the bag.
                                https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1332295965471019013

Comment

No problem with that, as long as the flags of all the doctors, immunologists, lab staff and everyone else who actually developed it go on there as well.

Comment

Someone has asked how Yes Cymru can afford to have Jake Mogg on the payroll. He does fucking wonders for the cause.

Comment

The UK doesn’t have a constitution. I thought that was the point.

Comment

Not a written constitution

But very much a constitution nonetheless

Comment

When English Nationalists like Moggy boy start banging on about "the constitution" they mean the accumulated weight of tradition that has concentrated power in the hands of people like him. But, no, there is no written constitution.

Comment

Bageshot, all that pish that couldn't withstand Johnson and his band of cunts riding roughshod over "norms" is the U.K. Constitution. Failed state of ruling class freaks and lickspittle weirdos. Fuck everyone who still loves their Precious Union.

Comment

When English Nationalists like Moggy boy start banging on about "the constitution" they mean the accumulated weight of tradition that has concentrated power in the hands of people like him. But, no, there is no written constitution.
                                              That’s what I thought. It means the same thing here, even though we have a written constitution.

Comment

The NIPpers are now open for membership:

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1333763357577539585

Comment

More power to them

Comment

The All Under One Banner group are under fire from Gaelic speakers, after deciding to establish a branch called Yes Alba, even though an existing organisation has had the name for the last six years:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18...elic-name-row/

Comment

Working...
                                                    X