Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not heard the 'puss' thing. The Belfast equiv is 'bake' as in 'Saville got a kick in the bake from the big Bosniak defender there'

Comment

I'm sure I've heard of this meaning of the word, though I'd have guessed that it was in an old US gangster film or somesuch.

I presume it's behind the term "sourpuss".

Comment

It is very US East Coast between the wars

I'm somewhat surprised that it had any purchase overseas and wonder if there is a GI connection

Comment

Gove has a cunning plan to keep Scotland in the Union by promising further devolution and, wait for it, enlisting EU support for No!

Comment

That fish lipped souse can fuck off.

Comment

The Telegraph are demanding full fiscal autonomy for Wales

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...box=1603131557

Comment

These cunts really don't get that public health has always been devolved.

Comment

Sounds good to me. We could pay for it by raising tax. Or then again we could charge for the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    These cunts really don't get that public health has always been devolved.
                    These cunts also don't get that in "the provinces" we pay our fucking taxes to the Exchequer like everyone else, and we'll be expected to pay back our fair share of what Rishi has borrowed for Boris & chums to spaff up the wall on Serco / Dido Harding's Test and Trace balls up, ?7K per day consultancy fees and overpriced multi-million PPE supply contracts handed out without competitive tender (that the Tories used to just love) to their chums / benefactors.

Comment

Welsh taxpayers are also contributing to High Speed 2 so commuters can get to London from Birmingham 20 minutes faster, meanwhile the Valley Lines are still running museum piece Pacers and the electrification of the line to Swansea has been abandoned. Boris wants to build a new motorway over the historic Gwent levels and has said that's going to happen regardless of Welsh Government plans. Why not build some fucking castles to keep us in our place while he's at it?

And we can't have a tidal lagoon generating energy in Swansea Bay. But we can have radioactive mud dumped off the Welsh coast. And a prison hulk moored off Port Talbot. Cheers, neighbour.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Welsh taxpayers are also contributing to High Speed 2 so commuters can get to London from Birmingham 20 minutes faster, meanwhile the Valley Lines are still running museum piece Pacers and the electrification of the line to Swansea has been abandoned. Boris wants to build a new motorway over the historic Gwent levels and has said that's going to happen regardless of Welsh Government plans. Why not build some fucking castles to keep us in our place while he's at it?

And we can't have a tidal lagoon generating energy in Swansea Bay. But we can have radioactive mud dumped off the Welsh coast. And a prison hulk moored off Port Talbot. Cheers, neighbour.
                        And concentration camps in Pembrokeshire.

Comment

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...andrew-wilson/

this from a former Nat MSP is a dull, centrist outline for independence. But Scotland is at heart dull and centrist for all the Red Clydeside sentimentalism, I'd say this is the only way it'll work out well.

Comment

Time to add the North of England to the list, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                              Time to add the North of England to the list, perhaps.
                              I'd take it, but the ensuing disputes about 1) the boundaries of the North and 2) where the capital should be, could go on for years.

Comment

Maybe Wales and Scotland should just split it? We'll have Lerpwl and Manceinion. Caer will be Welsh at last. The Scots can have anything north or east of York.

Comment

Yr Hen Gogledd, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    Maybe Wales and Scotland should just split it? We'll have Lerpwl and Manceinion. Caer will be Welsh at last. The Scots can have anything north or east of York.

The Henry IV, Part I version.

Comment

That might have been great had it gone through. You'd have had something like balance in the population sizes and relative power of the 4 kingdoms on the cursed island. Gordon fucking Brown's fever dream of as near as dammit Federalism might have been possible too in a later Union without the massive and rich Angleand fucking over everyone else. Which of the three were to get the Pale though?

Comment

Of course it would probably have been shite and 4 kingdoms would be at war in short order, with a side order of invasions of Ireland.

Comment

What's the Pale?

Comment

Pale = Greater Dublin. From the palisade built round it to keep out Culchies and Nordies

Comment

Why wouldn't Dublin be in Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I'd take it, but the ensuing disputes about 1) the boundaries of the North and 2) where the capital should be, could go on for years.
                                                Where is a place that is inaccessible for all in the North, Carlisle perhaps?, that's your capital.

This is why the National Library of Wales is in Aberystwyth, the North and South couldn't agree so we'll put it somewhere inconvenient for all.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                  Why wouldn't Dublin be in Ireland?
                                                  At the time, the Pale marked the effective geographic limits of English rule - everywhere else was either a Gaelic kingdom, or a Norman earldom (technically owing loyalty to England, but independent in practice).

Comment

Right, but talking about a small rump England and three other British nations, why would Dublin be a part of it?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X