Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    I had to look up negging.
    Negging is an act of emotional manipulation whereby a person makes a deliberate backhanded compliment or otherwise flirtatious remark to another person to undermine their confidence and increase their need of the manipulator's approval. The term was coined and prescribed by pickup artists.

From Wikipedia.

I had to look it up too, I presumed it comes from negative.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
      Yeah but these are the same people who think that the UK subsidised the rest of the EU. Everyone else is a parasite, except them of course. They got where they were through hard work etc.
      And that the UK subsidises the rest of the world, rather than it being the other way round since before the UK existed.

Comment

Jackson Carlew resigns as Scottish Tory leader, with Douglas Ross tipped as his successor.
        Last edited by Diable Rouge; 30-07-2020, 19:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
          Jackson Carlew resigns as Scottish Tory leader, with Douglas Ross topped as his successor.

Brutal!

Comment

Hahahah - Autocorrect obviously with its own slant on affairs!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
              Independence will come to Scotland as it came to the Slovaks, when Big Country has had enough of periphery "Celtic bleating".
              That is nothing like how the Slovaks gained independence/split away/whatever. It was more like a "We think you are nuts, but if that is what you want" shrug of the shoulders. It was entirely driven from the Slovak side of the border.

Edit - oh, sorry, you posted that days ago. Unrefreshed thread snafu. But anyway, yeah, it's still a quite substantial misrepresentation of how that particular dynamic played out.
              Last edited by Janik; 30-07-2020, 20:16.

Comment

I was going on a few paragraphs from Neal Ascherson, and what I remember of Vaclav Klaus being a total bastard, I stand down my bollocks assertion.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                  That is nothing like how the Slovaks gained independence/split away/whatever. It was more like a "We think you are nuts, but if that is what you want" shrug of the shoulders. It was entirely driven from the Slovak side of the border.

Edit - oh, sorry, you posted that days ago. Unrefreshed thread snafu. But anyway, yeah, it's still a quite substantial misrepresentation of how that particular dynamic played out.
                  Ironically, it may have taken almost 30 years, but in terms of income per capita, the Slovaks have finally caught up with Czechia now.

Comment

Well, yes, undoubtedly so (Klaus). The Slovak leader at the time, Meciar, had him trumped* though. There are more parallels with Brexit really, in terms of something driven through on a populist wave by a politician who figured doing it would increase his personal power rather than any substantial belief it would benefit his country (that would be Meciar, not Klaus, in this circumstance, though Klaus is certainly capable of being as cynical if he saw such an opportunity).

* - two guys who you can be absolutely certain love the orange baby.

Comment

Talk of fucking Couthie Ruthie back to lead the Ruth Davidson We Said No Nicola! and Unionist Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                        Ironically, it may have taken almost 30 years, but in terms of income per capita, the Slovaks have finally caught up with Czechia now.
                        The trend was almost immediate, though. The idea expressed at the time that the Slovaks had 35% of the population and 15% of the Domestic Product has been wrong almost ever since it was said.
                        A key difference to England-Scotland/Wales is Czechia, whilst arguably fitting with the idea expressed up page of seeing Slovakia as a parasite (I think that overstates things somewhat, but let's run with it), were much happier to let the Slovaks self-determine and therefore leave than is being presented about English Nationalists re: Scotland or Wales. Patronising rather than abusive, basically.
                        Last edited by Janik; 30-07-2020, 20:45.

Comment

Welsh Tories never disappoint.

Comment

The Higher controversy doesn't appear to have made any dent in SNP polling:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1293495227085393920

Comment

Hilarious. Dunno who must be more annoyed, the Salmondite transphobe Indy Now zoomers, or the Sturgeon Must Go frothing unionists.

Comment

And support for independence continues to exceed 50%:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1293498731640360961

Comment

The SNP have caved on their ‘award school exam results based on an algorithm’ policy and will now grant results based on the teacher recommendations instead. Those with results that were improved by the algorithm keep those results.

The SNP fuck up big style on a wide range of subjects but remain bulletproof. There is absolutely no opposition in Scotland with any real support or credibility.

its not a good position regardless of your politics.

Comment

Originally posted by Erskine Bridges View Post
                                    The SNP have caved on their ‘award school exam results based on an algorithm’ policy and will now grant results based on the teacher recommendations instead. Those with results that were improved by the algorithm keep those results.

The SNP fuck up big style on a wide range of subjects but remain bulletproof. There is absolutely no opposition in Scotland with any real support or credibility.

its not a good position regardless of your politics.
                                    Why caved in and not seen sense/listened to criticism? In any case, better than what's happening in England.

Comment

The opposition are uniformly shite. That's the key. I'd imagine only independence or a second failed Indyref will kill the hegemony.

Or it could just be the same periodic cycle Scotland has had since the franchise widened over a century ago (Liberals then Unionists (Tories and maniacal Anti Irish) then SLab now Nats) of one dominant Standing Up For Scotland Party.

Maybe fuckin Willie Rennie's mob will have their turn again. One things for sure, Scotland will never "come home to Labour" without Indy.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-08-2020, 15:33.

Comment

The same school grading issue is about to happen in England and Ireland, unless they are massaging stuff behind the scenes right now to avoid Swinney's public u-turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Why caved in and not seen sense/listened to criticism? In any case, better than what's happening in England.
                                          I used that term because without media and in particular student/parent/teacher pressure they wouldn’t have changed it.

But yes, they’ve seen sense. Once they were slapped vigorously in the face with it.

Also, I used the more pejorative term because I’m getting tired of their fuck ups. They are down to many reasons but cronyism, a lack of joined up thinking and the knowledge that they are untouchable all contribute.

But I would take Nicola over Boris any day.

Comment

Even Shetland is on the brink of flipping to Yes:

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1296036487855841280

Comment

That's a uniform swing. I'd be amazed if Shetland or Orkney Ever swing yes. Only the forelock tuggers of the Borders seem more averse to Indy, could see the Colonelocracy of Perthshire/Aberdeenshire going Indy before them.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1296082893106810880

Comment

Poor old Slab, irrelevant fuckers.

Comment

I didn't realise he wasn't Scottish.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X