Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So no one cares that a grassroots Welsh Independence movement engineered getting a Welsh language protest song to number 1 on iTunes?

No, fine, carry on.

Comment

More that we don't know enough about the song to make an informed comment about it.

Comment

Watch out; they'll be singing it in English until you start listening to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          So no one cares that a grassroots Welsh Independence movement engineered getting a Welsh language protest song to number 1 on iTunes?

No, fine, carry on.
          Tell us more.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

In the last Irish GE, it seems there were 1% spoiled/invalid ballots, - unfortunately, no details on the UK election pages about relevant figures.
            1% sounds right as a standard across the board. In my experience as a regular candidate it's explained broadly as follows, starting with the most frequent

a) irritability. They're annoyed variously that Brexit hasn't happened/ Johnson, Farage or Enoch Powell aren't standing in their area/ but we already voted in [naming a year when they quite likely didn't]

b) inanity- yer Willies, Budgie the helicopter etc

c) illiteracy- tends to be understated.A lot of people struggle with forms, or don't speak the language that well. A couple of ingrained abuses- gathered votes by family/ community 'elders', and 'granny farming' them from care homes- add to the problem

d) inconsistency as Spoony- describes

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Tell us more.
              Yes Cymru started a Social Media campaign to get people to download Yma o Hyd, a protest song from the early 80s that is pretty special to Welsh speakers. And it got to number 1 on iTunes. There's more info in the web link.

Comment

Johnson's veto has predictable impact in Caledonia:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1222878806597427201

Comment

The walls come tumbling down...

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    People need educated that they can vote all the way down the ballot. This is where the spoiled ballots (people putting x not a number) happen in Scots council elections.
                    I seem to recall seeing around the time of the last election in Ireland that a single X or tick would be counted as a first preference on an otherwise unmarked ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                      I saw your name in the piece too but had to reread it to make sure I was mistaken.

Duncairn Gardens

Comment

Isn't it crazy that they named a place after him?

Comment

The original DG (Lord Duncairn) owned the land in the mid 19th. He had visited Versailles and laid out the Gardens in a similar style. Alas when industry arrived he sold the land to provide housing for the Lepper Street Mill workers

Comment

A bumper week for Duncairn Gardens in the national media. Saturdays I-paper has a photo of graffiti on the side of a house: VOTE LEAVE EU: REV[ELATION] 18.4. The biblical text reads 'Come out of her my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins'

Comment

Neil McEvoy launches the Welsh National Party:

https://twitter.com/NationCymru/status/1227602036188823552

Comment

Alex Salmond acquitted on all counts by majority verdict: Not guilty on 12; not proven on the 13th

Comment

He's going to be unbearable now.

Comment

I hope he doesn't look at the price of Brent Crude Oil tonight. It's currently trading at $32.75 a barrel and experts say the worst is yet to come with some saying it will reach $5 a barrel. The SNP need it to be over $120 a barrel for independence to be viable.

Comment

Define viable Paul, especially as Brexit destroys the U.K. balance sheet. Anyway, this isn't the time for Kevin Hague style arguments.

Comment

I'm surprised how little capital has been made about how an independent Wales could shut its borders during pandemics and keep hordes of covidiots out of Snowdonia.

I expect it to be a key point when the dust settles on this. "Remember when the English brought the plague here?"

Comment

TBF, Ireland could have closed its ports and airports when the scale of the Lombardy epidemic became apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            I'm surprised how little capital has been made about how an independent Wales could shut its borders during pandemics and keep hordes of covidiots out of Snowdonia.

I expect it to be a key point when the dust settles on this. "Remember when the English brought the plague here?"
                                            Doesn't that sound a bit... Brexity?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              Alex Salmond acquitted on all counts by majority verdict: Not guilty on 12; not proven on the 13th

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-52017020

Could someone give me a bit of a primer or a link as to the various SNP factions and their positions, please.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Doesn't that sound a bit... Brexity?
                                                Wexit is next. Once you've left one oppressive "union"... etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-52017020

Could someone give me a bit of a primer or a link as to the various SNP factions and their positions, please.
                                                  https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ttish-politics

Comment

Cheers, Sporting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X