Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Where is a place that is inaccessible for all in the North, Carlisle perhaps?, that's your capital.

This is why the National Library of Wales is in Aberystwyth, the North and South couldn't agree so we'll put it somewhere inconvenient for all.
    No chance, we're not having all that fuss round these parts. Anyway Carlisle is far too accessible by motorway, rail and (sporadically) air. Cockermouth can have the honour. Or Barnard Castle maybe.

Comment

Blame Strongbow for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

No chance, we're not having all that fuss round these parts. Anyway Carlisle is far too accessible by motorway, rail and (sporadically) air. Cockermouth can have the honour. Or Barnard Castle maybe.
        Barrow? Is that far enough north? It's the furthest football club from a motorway, or something.

Comment

Barrow is in the south of the county. So south, in fact, that they have a Lancashire postcode.

EDIT: Ah, hang on, I missed your point. Fuck it, give it to Maryport. Once people go there once they will have little desire to do so again.

Comment

I quite like that map. For a start, Londoners would have to start thinking of themselves of Northerners. And Norwich v Ipswich would be an international derby match. One small problem - we get Portsmouth. Does anyone from one of the other regions have a town that they'd be willing to swap?

Comment

Oi! Stop dissing my home town.

Comment

It would be funny to have the rump English minority in east Cymru demanding bilingual road signs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  Right, but talking about a small rump England and three other British nations, why would Dublin be a part of it?

cos everyone invaded Ireland back then, it was the style at the time. Even Scotland had a go with Edward Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

cos everyone invaded Ireland back then, it was the style at the time. Even Scotland had a go with Edward Bruce.
                    TBF, the Gaelic Irish invited him in, to be their High King.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Barrow? Is that far enough north? It's the furthest football club from a motorway, or something.
                      No, it's further south than Scarborough, I found out from the Covid thread. It did spring to mind as an inaccessible place but to be fair it does have a railway station, a sea port and a small airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                        Barrow is in the south of the county. So south, in fact, that they have a Lancashire postcode.

EDIT: Ah, hang on, I missed your point. Fuck it, give it to Maryport. Once people go there once they will have little desire to do so again.
                        I have spent a bit too much time lately reading long distance walking blogs, and found one which set out in great detail what is wrong with the route of the Cumbria Way. The author then set out, over three or four lengthy instalments, how he would improve it - by changing where it started, where it finished, and approximately 80% of the route. He proclaimed that the hypothetical new route needed a "pretty" place to finish in and then in a stunning twist identified Maryport as a prime candidate, while admitting he had never actually been there.

Comment

Yowzer.

Comment

The Republic of Wales will be televised:

https://twitter.com/draiggoch99/status/1318937795617083393

Comment

Damn you Diable Rouge I was just going to post that. First use of "Republic of Wales" in the MSM to my knowledge.

Comment

Toby Young mounts a charm offensive for the Union.

Comment

And Spearmint Rhino reacts:

https://twitter.com/simon_price01/status/1319237695219093504

Comment

"Turn me into an English nationalist.."

Yeah, right you cunt.

Comment

C'mon Covid for fuck sake get him.

Comment

I've only read excerpts of that article but anything that labels an entire nation of people as scavenging benefit thieves isn't making a good case for the union. But we are getting used to these gaslighting attempts, telling Wales that it's useless and pathetic and a drain on resources. But then when people say 'Well let us go then' there's apoplectic fury that we would dare - dare even! - to think of leaving.

It's crass to compare this to abusive control in domestic situations, but it's almost exactly the same template. The abuser tells the abused they are dirt, nothing without them, and makes all kinds of veiled threats. And if their bluff ever gets called it gets violent.

Inflammatory borderline racist articles like this aren't going to preserve the union. I don't know how seriously to take Spearmint Rhino's tweet, but there are people who will read those comments and it will push them further towards being indy-minded. Yes Cymru were looking for their 3000th member at the start of lockdown. Now they have 7,500. There's growth in this movement and even if those members are only giving a couple of quid a month, there is a fund building up to sustain an organised push. Every Spectator article like this will add a few more members to the cause.

Comment

Most of England is poorer than Scotland in terms of revenue/expenditure. The problem is the Great Wen, a lopsided economy where everything is concentrated in the South East, crumbs for the rest. At least Scotland and perhaps Wales have a chance to break from this, and who knows, the way they've treated Burnham and the rest might start to break the whole rotten edifice of England too.

Comment

Hahaha

https://twitter.com/ifanmj/status/1319226045007015936?s=19

Comment

Much applause for The Ieuan Curtain.

Comment

A parody, but an amusing one:

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1319014165059674112

Comment

I mean, I'm not seeing much to disagree with there.

Comment

The Great Wen is a disparaging nickname for London. The term was coined in the 1820s by William Cobbett, the radical pamphleteer and champion of rural England. Cobbett saw the rapidly growing city as a pathological swelling on the face of the nation. (A "wen" is a sebaceous cyst.) The term is quoted in his 1830 work Rural Rides: "But, what is to be the fate of the great wen of all? The monster, called, by the silly coxcombs of the press, 'the metropolis of the empire?'"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X