Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dis-United Kingdom Thread - (Indyref 2, United Ireland poll, Welsh independence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1278282094179999746

Comment

Not sure how I'd answer that question, given that I have increasingly supported Scottish independence in the past decade, have long supported a peaceful parting of the ways with NI and, I guess, wouldn't be too arsed if Wales got independence. I guess that makes me an English nationalist by default

Comment

I fully expect Johnson or someone even more a cynical English Nat to eventually capitalise on a growing resentment/estrangement from teh Jocks among the Tory core. Independence will come to Scotland as it came to the Slovaks, when Big Country has had enough of periphery "Celtic bleating".

Comment

This thread really needs Tubbs. Paul S throwing oil revenue shapes just isn't the same thing.

Comment

It's the natural evolution of Brexit, that English nationalism will only get more strident when the glorious sunlit uplands fail to materialise...

Comment

It stretches back well before Brexit. All of us have been on this path for a while. Brexit is a consequence not a cause

Comment

Meanwhile, some bloke calling himself the Manchester Gazette asks:

https://twitter.com/ChiefEditorMG/status/1278388082925096967

Comment

Holy Christ these fuckin cunts.

Comment

There is definitely a correlation between the kinds of English people who think the Welsh are all sheepshagging ignorant troglodytes who then get all "you fucking can't be your own country".

Comment

https://twitter.com/gordonguthrie/status/1278362795336175616

Comment

"Sheepshaggers, boooooo, we hate you. Go back to fucking sheep."

"We'd like independence now, thanks."

"You can't leave the UK. Who do you think you are."

Comment

The Welsh Conservatives have tweeted this today.

Comment

So it looks like we've annexed Chester and half of Salopia. I'm happy with that.

Comment

And Hereford, Worcester and The Wirral.

Actually how far does that circle go?

Comment

Almost to Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                  Almost to Birmingham.
                                  Or as I like to call it, The Eastern Frontier

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                    Meanwhile, some bloke calling himself the Manchester Gazette asks:

https://twitter.com/ChiefEditorMG/status/1278388082925096967
                                    What the actual shuddering FUCK is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      So it looks like we've annexed Chester and half of Salopia. I'm happy with that.
                                      Actually, if you lot agree to take Shropshire, I'll vote for Welsh independence. Don't suppose you fancy Milton Keynes too? Or Stevenage?

Comment

Only if we can rename them Mwllton Cins and Stifinij

Comment

Comment

The Brexit Party has announced its going to campaign to Abolish the Assembly at the next Welsh Parliament election. I feel a bit worried about this because there is a Brexit voting bloc in Wales now and the Abolish the Assembly loons are typical Vote Leave style liars and scoundrels appealing to base prejudice.

This leads to a dilemma of do you take them seriously? The Remain party kind of sleepwalked into the referendum back in 2016 because it feels like not enough people took Farage et al seriously, and this feels the same way. It's easy for established politicos in their bubbles to dismiss the BP as fringe nutters, but the electorate aren't always in that bubble.

But then if you take it seriously, do you give credibility to them?

Comment

Funnily enough I was looking at the results of the last Senedd Cymru election yesterday and noticed that Abolish The Welsh Assembly got 4.4% of the Region vote even then, with UKIP mopping up 12.5-13% of the national vote.

Probably not to be ignored.

Comment

The irony of the party that furiously insisted the UK pass into legislation the result of a non-binding referendum, now campaigning that no-one who voted for something in another non-binding referendum actually wanted what they voted for to become law.

I say "irony". "Thunderous, imbecilic hypocrisy" maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  The Brexit Party has announced its going to campaign to Abolish the Assembly at the next Welsh Parliament election. I feel a bit worried about this because there is a Brexit voting bloc in Wales now and the Abolish the Assembly loons are typical Vote Leave style liars and scoundrels appealing to base prejudice.

This leads to a dilemma of do you take them seriously? The Remain party kind of sleepwalked into the referendum back in 2016 because it feels like not enough people took Farage et al seriously, and this feels the same way. It's easy for established politicos in their bubbles to dismiss the BP as fringe nutters, but the electorate aren't always in that bubble.

But then if you take it seriously, do you give credibility to them?
                                                  No, if you take the threats posed by them and simiarlar parties serisously you are not giving credibility to them, you are doing the right thing in being ready to stand against them. Credibilty comes from getting appearences on things like Question Time or similar 'flagship' current affairs/news programmes, things the Beeb gave Farage ahead of parties like the Greens at a time when UKIP weren't such a political force as the Greens were and we now suffer from how that turned out, it allowed Farage to build support in a way he probably wouldn't have done otheriswe. Standing up to them or taking them seriously as a politcal campaigner is a different space.

Comment

Moreover, even the Welsh Conservatives appear to have rowed in behind devolution, and the recent elevation as a Parliament (in the English title) reflects the new powers gained after the last referendum.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X