Autonomous Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    I can't even imagine what it would cost to gas / diesel that baby up. It's a super duty with dually rear wheels, crew cab and a long bed.
    now remember that petrol is almost exactly twice as expensive per litre as it is in the US.

Anyway, the original point was that while the Cyber truck is hideous, all of these trucks are by definition pretty hideous, it's merely a novel form of hideous, you've just had a lot of time to get used to how hideous the other ones are and you hardly notice it any more. The only pick up truck that isn't hideous is the Toyota hilux,. Because this is normally used for its intended purpose as a work vehicle, and then when you sell it on, Isis can mount a cannon on the back and use it as mobile artillery

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 03-12-2019, 18:44.

Comment

Don't you get that from an SUV?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno
          The new F150 is quite a ride, I can report. I drive a hatchback and love it, so I'm not pining for one, but it's definitely its own thing.
          I'm sure firing a browning 50 cal machine gun (100 years old this year folks and still the primary heavy machine gun of the US armed forces) is quite a buzz as well. I don't think everyone should have one.

Comment

I wouldn't. For most of the war you didn't know if it was going to blow up in the tube or go out the end towards the enemy. Its main impact on the war was to find its way into german hands during the north African campaign, and they turned it into a really dangerous anti tank weapon that a child could use, which made advancing on berlin extra challenging. It's a very rare example of a piece of US World war II equipment that wasn't way better than everyone else's.
            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 03-12-2019, 19:23.

Comment

From my experience, F-150s and Silverados are hideous to drive. But the basically-a-truck with a SUV seating arrangement GMC Yukon is actually quite delightful to drive. Provided (and this is a fairly big proviso) that you're on big highways in the middle of nowhere, don't ever have to be in a city, and will only ever park in Walmart parking lots in places like Kansas. For cruising along on big wide roads, it's a pleasurable experience, although you're so high up and everything is so overpowered that there's a pretty serious disconnect between the driver and the road. You don't get much worthwhile feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                You don't get much worthwhile feedback.
                Feedback for what, really? Driving my Ridgeline is a pleasure in both city and country. What exactly am I feeling around on the road for? Our Civic hatch is clearly built as a performance car, and response and feedback is excellent and delivers a totally different experience, but it's not necessarily a superior experience.

Comment

When I imagine shooting one, it does what it's supposed to and there's a satisfying result.
                  what you want is an rpg-7; the rocket launcher of choice of the red army, and featuring prominently in every conflict since 1961. They've lost count of how many have been manufactured, but it's above 9 million.

Comment

I'm not sure you want feedback. It's just an observation about driving the thing. It's pleasurable, but there's no connection with the outside world. It's more like being marginally airborne than being in a car. Which is much better than the early-2000s F-150 that I once drove which felt like being in a big boat made out of very cheap plastic.

Comment

No, I get the connection with the outside world completely. It's honestly one of the best things about being a motorcyclist. You actually feel marked temperature changes within a block, to say nothing of an hour ride. And you smell everything, of course, which is wild. But as big as my truck is (which, comparatively, it really isn't), I don't feel detached from bumps and ruts and whatnot. Of course, I've never driven an old F150, so my sample size is low. My dad's old Buicks and Pontiacs felt far more 'isolated' than my truck does.

Comment

A bazooka is bigger. We are talking about that same thing? That tube that American soldiers used in WWII? The thing that often went straight through Japanese tanks and out the other side, or didn't find any german tanks to shoot at on the western front? That thing was far more famous on the US home front than anywhere else. They were telling people that it could hit like a six inch howitzer shell? Some of the propaganda films they made about it are quite funny.

Comment

This thread has taken a surprising turn.

Comment

Tell you what sounded good; renting a Miata for an 8-hour drive through the desert with the top down. Felt like being beaten around the head and neck by unruly children with balloons for an afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              This thread has taken a surprising turn.
                              Aye...that's the poor feedback.

Comment

You always charge a guy with a bazooka, with a knife you run away.

Comment

…..and they all gather around, to admire the fine work on this valuable antique.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                    I would note -as has been observed by others - the idea that pickups are all driven by functionality is nowhere near the truth. Unless the functionality in question is to move some paving slabs from Home Depot once every ten years.

Also some might be surprised how much is spent on these trucks. The amount of Ford Raptors, King Cobras and other super lux pickups you see about the way is crazy. Many people seem to spend more on a car payment than on housing.
                                    True.
                                    But in my experience, that one time you really needed to move paving slabs from Home Depot looms very large in one's imagination when you're looking for a vehicle. It's the same with 4x4 drive. You don't need it very often, really, but the one time you got stuck in the snow and could have really used it is more memorable than the 99% of the time where you didn't need it, so it's not hard to tell yourself that you really need it.

I've thought about getting a pick-up because I need to haul stuff far more often than I need to haul people. And if I had it, I could volunteer to help other people out who needed haulage. I could put my snowblower in it and help friends around town. I could do the same with a minivan, but I'm not a fan of those. They feel so cumbersome to drive.

In the 14 years I've had my 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade, I think humans have sat in the back seat about five times. I have a passenger in the front maybe once a month or so. My dog rides in the back when we go places together and I keep a lot of stuff that I might need, like a massive floor jack that I bought when the one that came with the vehicle got crocked as I was changing a tire. But it's mostly just empty space.

If I could get a pick up that drove well and got good gas mileage, I'd get that next. Tonka could ride in the front seat with a harness. Or if I got a truck that had just a little space behind the front seats and he could ride there. But it seems those are all gone. All the newer trucks are four door and/or have back seats in addition to the big bed. That defeats the purpose for me.

Comment

When I imagine shooting one, it does what it's supposed to and there's a satisfying result.
                                      There is no more satisfying word to say than BAZOOKA!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        I've thought about getting a pick-up because I need to haul stuff far more often than I need to haul people. And if I had it, I could volunteer to help other people out who needed haulage. I could put my snowblower in it and help friends around town. I could do the same with a minivan, but I'm not a fan of those. They feel so cumbersome to drive.
                                        See, this means you are allowed to drive a pick up. it would be useful for you, and you would aim to be useful to other people, thereby reducing the number of pickup trucks on the road as per paragraph one. Have you considered maybe attaching a snow plough to the front, and maybe getting a themed jacket?

Comment

The trucks that can accommodate plows are bigger than what I'm imagining, but some people do make some ok money on the side agreeing to plow various parking lots around town.

If I did that, I'd get the jacket. Of course.

Comment

The original bazooka is a bizarre instrument. This guy is not very good at it, though he is a very good musician.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                              The trucks that can accommodate plows are bigger than what I'm imagining, but some people do make some ok money on the side agreeing to plow various parking lots around town.

If I did that, I'd get the jacket. Of course.
                                              Maybe a late night tv ad?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

now remember that petrol is almost exactly twice as expensive per litre as it is in the US.
                                                0.52 euros a litre they are paying over there. 1.50 ish over here.

Comment

How much parking do you have? Could you not just get one of these?

Otherwise I think the Ford Ranger pickup is still available in old school no back seat setup.

I have one of these:

Cost me 800 euros. It runs. You never see station wagons in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

0.52 euros a litre they are paying over there. 1.50 ish over here.
                                                    Fuckin disgusting.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X