Hoover recommendations please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsD View Post

Yes, I worked on a lot of Murders and Executions, and the codenames were often ridiculous. Safeway was Apple, due to be taken over by WIlliam Tell (Walmart), until Maid Marion or someone (Morrison's) stepped in.
    Maid Marian, with an A, please.

That woman at work continues to misspell my name in emails despite being asked not to.

Comment

You're Marian with an A to me.

Comment

The Russian for vacuum cleaner is "pollysauce". Pol = dust, sauce (soss) = suck.

Comment

I wonder how "awesomesauce" would translate.

Comment

This is redundant in so many ways, but I'd like to add that our Dyson (bought before he became the public face of stupidity) is no better than acceptable rather than the brilliant revolutionary product that was supposedly promised. But baglessness seems to actually be beneficial if you're too lazy to replace bags,and if most of what you're dealing with is cat litter trod all over the house on sticky cat feet.

Comment

Swedish for hoover is dammsugare. Dust sucker. Damm is dust. Dam is lady. Don't misspell hoover in Swedish.

Which reminds me of that time I went into the sport shop looking for black socks, which are "svarta strumpar" in Swedish.

I asked for "svarta rumpa" by accident.

When you are first learning a language, it's easy to mix up the words that sound similar.

I'll leave it to you to figure out what the Swedish word rumpa means.

Last edited by anton pulisov; 25-11-2019, 00:54.

Comment

I like that word almost as much as I like Wolkenkratzer, the German word for skyscraper, which I believe translates literally as 'cloud scratcher'.

Comment

In hoover news, a woman from the reuse Facebook page has offered to collect the bag of Dyson parts, clean them all, try and put them back together and, if she gets it working again, relist it on the reuse page for someone else to use. It's apparently a hobby of hers. I remain amazed.

Comment

Our hoover passed on today.

Apart from a Dyson are the three recommendations still the same?

That's Shark, Miele and GTech.

Comment

Henry.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        Henry.
                        Are they any good? They look chunky.

Comment

Our Shark is still very good. I've only had to change the filter and otherwise it's very good at dealing with tangles in the brush roll, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                            Are [Henrys] any good? They look chunky.
                            They just seem to keep working, when others were found wanting. Especially Dysons.

Comment

If I had my time again it would be Henry like a shot.

Comment

We ditched our Hettie (pink Henry) for a Miele. Hettie was huge, didn't sit on the stairs, the head didn't slot into the body, there's nowhere to store the different heads and it was poor at doing carpets.

The Miele is better in all of those departments (try to get one with a turbo head that has an air-driven brush bar) and quieter.

Comment

I got a Shark recently. One of the battery ones, Duo or something. It’s brilliant, but not definitely cheap. (I think I scored ?100 off on their website.)

Comment

Another recommend for Shark.
                                    Pricey, but they're like a domestic black hole.

Comment

We've had a Bosch Athlet something or other (cordless) for about 3 years so far, it's really good. We had a refurbished Dyson before (not cordless) and it was garbage, heavy and cumbersome and unusable on the stairs. Whichever make you choose I would definitely recommend going cordless, it makes hoovering so much easier.

Comment

We have a hoover which seems to do the job all right, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what make it is unless I looked. Usage is made easier by an absence of stairs and carpets.
                                        Last edited by Sporting; 12-10-2020, 05:28.

Comment

We've had a Gtech for over three years and it's definitely the best cleaner we've owned. I also have a Gtech cordless lawnmower that I love. It easily does my two large lawns on a single charge.

Comment

Just looking at this thread for the first time and very much enjoyed this hopeless corporate codewording anecdote from MsD:

The intro said "the Skylark brand has become synonymous with vacuuming, so much so that people talk of "skylarking" their carpets".
                                            This is relatively dull, but I also recall many such transparently futile efforts from my time at a City law firm in the noughties, including the name and address of the secret issuer of an imminent rights issue appearing on the front of a draft prospectus as something like " Yellowstone, Yorkshire Water House, ....."

Edit: and, to get on topic, we are also happy with our old Miele.

Comment

Working...
                                            X