Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll - UK General Election (Non-Registered Voters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour - only chance of ending austerity, given the Lib Dems would go into coalition with the Tories. Corbyn is OK but not particularly inspiring.

Comment

Depends on the constituency of course - most of the relations in the UK live in Labour safe seats (Erdington, one of the St. Helen's seats), so would probably vote Green there, and otherwise for whichever party could win a marginal, so Labour in most cases.

Comment

Nothing to stop anyone registering as far as I can tell?
        https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Plus the criteria has changed, or been promoted with zero publicity.

https://www.electoralcommission.org....s#commonwealth

Comment

Not sure I understand the purpose of the thread, but I think this is relevant- I've just given my details to be a proxy for an old pal in Madrid. It'll mean actually going to a polling station for the first time in years as I always get a postal vote

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
            Not sure I understand the purpose of the thread, but I think this is relevant- I've just given my details to be a proxy for an old pal in Madrid. It'll mean actually going to a polling station for the first time in years as I always get a postal vote

It's for expats without a PV or non-British OTFers to indicate how they would vote in the election if they were able to, FIGS.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Labour - only chance of ending austerity, given the Lib Dems would go into coalition with the Tories. Corbyn is OK but not particularly inspiring.
              Another Tory/LD coalition would be immensely surprising, given their respective Brexit policies and the disaster it was for the Lib Dems last time.

Comment

And yet that is precisely the outcome that their leadership has been signalling.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pollster View Post
                  Nothing to stop anyone registering as far as I can tell?
                  https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Plus the criteria has changed, or been promoted with zero publicity.

https://www.electoralcommission.org....s#commonwealth
                  I, excitedly, just went through the form to see if it was true that i could vote (there is, as you say, no indication on the front page that the 15 year rule still holds). However, once you respond to the date you left the Uk question, it tells you you can't

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    And yet that is precisely the outcome that their leadership has been signalling.
                    Have they? I thought the public line was that they wouldn't consider a coalition with either Labour or the Conservatives. Would genuinely be interested in seeing where they've indicated otherwise.

Comment

But Chuka Umunna, a Lib Dem MP who left the Labour party in February, hinted moments later that the party could work with a different Labour leader, or perhaps the Conservatives, to help secure a second EU referendum after the December 12 election. He told journalists: “The two main parties as currently configured are not fit for office. We are going out to be the biggest party in the House of Commons. It’s up to people to decide what happens after that.”
                      Though to be fair, there has been more about them working on an issue by issue basis.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I, excitedly, just went through the form to see if it was true that i could vote (there is, as you say, no indication on the front page that the 15 year rule still holds). However, once you respond to the date you left the Uk question, it tells you you can't
                        Sorry, was talking about EU citizens criteria, which I thought, incorrectly, had changed.

But the ultimate answer is become a Commonwealth citizen. FFS.

Comment

I am a commonwealth citizen. (Assuming Britain is in the commonwealth)

Comment

But Chuka Umunna, a Lib Dem MP who left the Labour party in February, hinted moments later that the party could work with a different Labour leader, or perhaps the Conservatives, to help secure a second EU referendum after the December 12 election. He told journalists: “The two main parties as currently configured are not fit for office. We are going out to be the biggest party in the House of Commons. It’s up to people to decide what happens after that.”
                            Though to be fair, there has been more about them working on an issue by issue basis.

Yeah, I'm not sure the quote given from him there really does signal "that the party could work with a different Labour leader, or perhaps the Conservatives, to help secure a second EU referendum after the December 12 election" and the full article it's taken from speculates that a deal with other opposition parties is more likely.

I mean, obviously it's hard to take any of these statements at face value and anything is possible, especially with the Lib Dems.

Comment

I am a commonwealth citizen. (Assuming Britain is in the commonwealth)
                              And live in Britain. Or register at an address there by midnight. Today.

Comment

That's helpful.

Comment

I take it that The Pollster is our old friend notGonzo

Comment

Obvs

Ray, I've seen Lib Dem attributed briefing that is a bit stronger than that quote, but as you note their reputation precedes them.

I do find it striking that Swindon has repeatedly ruled out any sort of arrangement with Labour under Corbyn while not doing the same w/r/t the Tories under Johnson.

Comment

I take it that The Pollster is our old friend notGonzo
                                      Indeed. His pollster bezzie mate has escaped from his head into the wild.

Comment

Obvs

I do find it striking that Swindon has repeatedly ruled out any sort of arrangement with Labour under Corbyn while not doing the same w/r/t the Tories under Johnson.
                                        I actually thought she had, but admit I couldn't find a quote to that effect after a quick google.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

It's for expats without a PV or non-British OTFers to indicate how they would vote in the election if they were able to, FIGS.
                                          I'm not an expat. I'm a migrant.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post

I'm not an expat. I'm a migrant.

All OTFers not able to vote in the forthcoming UK GE for whatever reason are welcome to register their political position on this thread.

Comment

There's no such thing as an expat but. Just shorthand for white Propah English speaking migrant.
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-11-2019, 20:48.

Comment

Well, no. Often it's used to refer to people living abroad temporarily, because of work, study or some other reason. It's not solely used for permanent migrants.

Comment

I've answered honestly, and therefore evasively ... "Other".

That's on the assumption that my imaginary vote is cast in East Devon, where I was previously enrolled. There is an independent challenger who, based on previous results, is the only one who has a (slim) chance of beating the Tory. It's basically a Lib Dem tactical vote without having to say I voted Lib Dem. Clean hands, me.

If you let me move a couple of miles up the road then Ben Bradshaw gets my vote in Exeter.

Comment

It's not solely used for permanent migrants.

The term "expat" is perjorative when used that way. It implies anyone who's migrated from the UK should forever be viewed through the lens of where they've come from, rather than where they are. I'm Canadian, not a Briton who's temporarily living abroad.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X