Taking old photos down for new ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking old photos down for new ones

We've reached that point. There's only so many places we can have pictures on our walls before our entire house looks like some ridiculous photoshop office. So, having got five or six really nice pictures of myself, Signora Rogin and the Roginettes from travels and occasions this year, I now stare at old ones on the wall and think "but I can't replace that one, that was ...".

It's hard, this. Does anyone else agonize over this?

Put them in an album?

Comment

Get an electronic frame or three that can display them on a rotating basis.

Comment

How can you only have six pictures in your entire house? Is the rest of it wall decals?

Comment

We never get round to framing anything. We just have our photo accounts linked to the TV so that when it isn't on, it does a slideshow of nice pictures. It must have some sort of AI or algorithm because it generally picks the nicest pictures and it often pairs up photos of the kids in similar locations a couple of years apart and puts them side by side, which is nice.

Comment

We have a single "gallery wall" 4.5' x 20' with paintings, drawings and photos of/by family members going back to our great-grandparents. Current pictures, usually Polaroids or small prints, get propped up on shelves and mantlepieces until they're replaced by something more recent (the old ones get stuck in a drawer.) It's chaotic and transient, but then so is life.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
              How can you only have six pictures in your entire house? Is the rest of it wall decals?
              We don't. We have dozens. So there comes the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Get an electronic frame or three that can display them on a rotating basis.
                I do this in an analogue way. I have about 250 photos of our travels over the years, ten of which are on a specific wall at any given time. When the new month comes around, I take a new random sample of 10 out of the remaining 240, and hang those on the wall in place of the ten of the previous month.

Electronic frames could make this process a lot easier, but I find the process of being busy with the physical replacement very enjoyable. It makes me actively relive the moments in the photo much more than an automated solution ever could.

Comment

We have one wall covered in frames, with photos of us in various stages of life, plus pics of our respective parents, grandparents, siblings, and assorted nephews. It's a talking point for visitors. And, for me, it's a source of happiness to have that ever-present monument to family.

Comment

Who else thinks that Rogin is actually tryng to create space for a huge "Liverpool - Premier League Champions 2019-2020" picture?

Comment

I've never put photos up. Don't think I'll start now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                        Who else thinks that Rogin is actually tryng to create space for a huge "Liverpool - Premier League Champions 2019-2020" picture?
                        "What do you think, Signora Rogin? That old picture of you in your wedding dress with your bridesmaids, or this new one of Virgil cuddling a trophy?" <door slams> "Virgil it is then".

Comment

I actually only own two photos, both of ex-girlfriends who I split up with over 20 years ago. It seems heartless to throw them away, but creepy if I had them out (they're both in frames, as both girls gave them to me to put on my desk to remind me of them / warn any colleagues that I was not single).

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                            I actually only own two photos, both of ex-girlfriends who I split up with over 20 years ago.
                            That's one of the most arresting sentences I've read in a long while, Pebble.

I love Wouter and G-Man's posts above.

Comment

It seems heartless to throw them away.
                              It would be disrespectful to just put them in the bin. You could shred them or burn them.

Comment

I actually only own two photos, both of ex-girlfriends who I split up with over 20 years ago. It seems heartless to throw them away, but creepy if I had them out (they're both in frames, as both girls gave them to me to put on my desk to remind me of them / warn any colleagues that I was not single).
                                You could use the frames for something else now. It does sound a bit weird you've kept them for that long.

Comment

I have photos of old flames. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that, no? (Though admittedly not on display.)

Comment

Working...
                                  X