No announcement yet.

Dog adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She looks a lovely dog, Foxy. Hope she settles in quickly and begins to enjoy life again.

Comment

Congratulations Foxy, and well done. She’s found the right place.

Comment

Rafa came back from the groomer wearing a Day of the Dead bandana. I think it actually suits him so he's keeping it on for a few days.

Comment

There is another pup arriving here the weekend after next. Name as yet undetermined.

Comment

As Yet Undetermined, or uncapitalised as yet undetermined as an homage to kd lang and ee cummings?

Comment

Haven't wanted to post on this, as it's been a most unhappy week off work....

Lily came home with on Sunday. All calm and fine. Monday was good too, couple of small walks and she gets on well with our other dogs. Monday evening, I get in with our pair, Max sees Lily and bounces to say hello but bumps into me instead. I put out my hand to steady myself and crash down the stairgate that we've put up between the kitchen and hallway. Lily jumps a mile, leaps over me an out of the back door and onto the street. Run out after her and she runs off. Go back inside and put coat and shoes on, see her further down another street, run toward her, she runs off and past 2 lads who also try and catch her. She runs off into a field and is last seen running down a path toward a tunnel that goes under the M1. Family and neighbours (the community here have been great) all out until midnight with torches looking for her. Nothing.

Tuesday. Out at 6 walking round the country park on the other side of the M1. Daughters start a Facebook campaign and get UK Dogs Lost team* involved. They get to ours asap (2 hour drive) and have leaflets printed, leave us a dog trap and give us loads of advice. Sighting of a dog in village 5 miles away is a false one. No sightings.

Wednesday. Leaflets go up round and about and lots of potential areas explored, Put scent trails (beef oxo and sardine juice) to try and lure her back. No sightings.

Thursday. Sighting at village 5 miles way as crow files (or dog runs) in rural location. Dog seen on road outside a garden centre. Go over there and leaflet and door knock. Rural area = lots of farms to visit. Nothing.

Friday. Sighting at village is a farmers dog who likes to roam around and the dog on the road was a different breed altogether when we see garden centre's CCTV footage. No sightings.

Saturday. No sightings.

Sunday. Positive sighting at extremely rural location near service station on M1. Lady walking her young husky nearly bumped into her. Meet lady and a 2km walk to location from only accessible spot from road. Go back to spot with food, go back a third time with UK Dogs Lost team and put out cameras and food. Go back again just before dusk and put down more food as magpies have had a great time eating it. 10pm camera catches Lily and she continues to graze throughout the night though is constantly looking over shoulders.

Monday. With help from a mate, get to move dog trap along 2km farm tracks and open fields. This is rough countryside. Put trap next to wood where we believe Lily is hiding. Have to keep walking distance between car/van and site to take equipment. All set up by 6pm as dusk falls. 7.30pm told to get to the farm asap and turn off engine and lights. 25 minutes later get a "GO GO GO" call as she is trapped but need to get their asap as she could dig her way out, even though trap is well pinned and netted. Ran like a wheezing warthog (I am 58) but surprised team at speed I got there, to be greeted by Lily calmly looking at me while I try and catch my breath. Talk to her and she just lies down like its an every day event. Dogs team member arrives as do 4 family members. Get a very calm Lily into a crate and then carry here back to car. Get back, unload crate, put her into the kitchen, lock door and breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Lily is safe at home.

*If anyone wants to know some of the tips that they passed on in such an event, please let me know and I'll happily share on here or pm (Some of our mistakes may be obvious to some of you and I don't wish to sound patronising).

Comment

Wow. What a week. Glad that everything is OK now

Comment

Christ, that sounds grim. So glad you have her home again unharmed, hopefully you can take a few days to chill out a bit and de-stress.

Comment

Blimey Foxy, that looks like it's been a traumatic week for yourselves and for Lily. Thankfully you managed to get a Disney ending.

Comment

What an absolute nightmare, literally. That’s a trauma it’ll take a while to get over and I hope you’re all OK Foxy.

Comment

Thanks all for your messages of support. She had a perfectly calm night and is just laying in her crate watching us all quite happily. Have kept the other pair of dogs away from her as don't want to stress her, though Max does want to put on his best Leslie Phillips voice and say "Well, hello darling, ding dong".

Comment

Glad to hear that Lily was found safe. and for a change that there was a pack of Foxes searching for a dog.

Comment

Oh, holy crap Foxy mate, that's a hell of a time and I was convinced (having been alerted to the fact something bad had gone down by your comment in the Wordle tournament thread) that there were going to be tears. I walk dogs for a couple of people and keep an occasional eye on the local Facebook dogs group (for owners, I mean, not the dogs), where I've consequently seen similar stories played out for several desperate owners and not always with a happy ending. Thus hugely relieved and not a little surprised to find you got one – brilliant news, and I do hope Lily will settle now and there won't be any more dramas. I trust Max is suitably chastened over his part in the affair, but will soon perk up and be back to Wordle caddying duties.

Thunderous applause to Nef for the pun immediately above, by the way. I think Fussbudget (per the Tory Climate Atrocities thread) needs to see this to witness the maligned art at its finest.

Comment

Oh boy nmrfox - I had the reverse of that happen maybe 10 years ago and found a Bernese Mountain dog living in the mower shed in the yard. It was over Christmas, she had been skunked and was terrified. Not too terrified to avoid the lure of a hotdog.

she had one tag on her and I called on Boxing Day. The dog registration people were kind of awful until they really worked out that I was asking to find an owner. Apparently she had run off on the owners daughter-in-law a week earlier and traveled about 20 miles.

Comment

Anyway - after we lost Buster, Mrs dglh signed up for a puppy she was so bereft. Introducing Webster (right). He is probably a show dog prospect to be honest, though highly unlikely anyone here can be arsed with that. Louise has basically taken him on as her pup.

53DEB02B-4DAB-4298-A238-9FCA3E32B806.jpg

Comment

caja-dglh that puppy is ridiculously cute.

nmrfox I'm relieved that your post had a happy ending. They really can give us quite a fright sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                    Anyway - after we lost Buster, Mrs dglh signed up for a puppy she was so bereft. Introducing Webster (right). He is probably a show dog prospect to be honest, though highly unlikely anyone here can be arsed with that. Louise has basically taken him on as her pup.

53DEB02B-4DAB-4298-A238-9FCA3E32B806.jpg
                                    Congratulations to you all!

Comment

Thank you. He is really like a little walking stuffed animal. I met his father and grandfather, so I am well aware how he is going to grow. Within about 8 months he is going the be a beast.

Comment

caja-dglh Webster is a lovely looking little fella - congratulations!

Comment

caja-dglh Webster certainly is a cute little chap - glad you and him are all doing well.

Comment

Yesterday was a bit of a bittersweet day. We are down from a Three Cat Household to a Two Cat Household. Fortunately, it is a good result for everyone except us, who are sad. We had a brother and sister tuxedo who joined the household perhaps three years ago as kittens. They were always fine, but the girl, Poppy, was never properly bonded with the boy, and was often a bit bullied by the other two. Not My Cat From Hell bullied, but enough that she'd get jumped from time to time and was often timid about coming out. Also, the two boys hog our attention - they always want to play, are always on our laps or desks, leaving her not much room. So... meanwhile, my father in law has always had pets. Their dog died maybe 18 months ago. My M-i-L died 11 months ago. Then their ancient, 23 year old cat had to be put down about three months back. He's hated being in an empty house.

He went to the cat shelter to talk about adopting a new kitten, but they said that because he's old, he shouldn't have a new cat unless he can guarantee a safe home for the cat to move on to should he die. We would have been that household, obviously, but didn't want to commit to a fourth cat.

When we were away a few weeks back, all three went to stay with him and Poppy seemed to love it there and come out of her shell.

The result is that we decided to trial having her go and live with him. See how she enjoys it, see how the two boys cope. It will probably make life a fraction easier for us, although it's already sad to not have her around. It will make my F-i-L's life much better. It will almost certainly make Poppy happier.

And yesterday was the day we drove her down. She hid under the bed all the time we were in the house. Apparently as soon as we left she was out purring and rolling and headbutting and then sleeping on FiL's lap. So it looks like a win. And, of course, if worst comes to worst, she can always come back home here.

Comment

You've not lost her - she is available to visit when you want to. Your F-i-L might find you and your partner visiting more frequently now. Which sounds like it would be a good thing if he was feeling somewhat lonely and isolated in the house on his own.

As for the moggy, it sounds like she has got what she needs - a space with no other cats in it... or rather that isn't already established as the territory of other cats that she is unable to get out of (hence seeming more confident when they were all 'visiting'). That is very standard feline behaviour given cats are territorial animals who don't befriend each other;* whatever they are, they are not small furry humans! The best that cats pressed together generally manage is finding ways to tolerate or work around each other.
                                              * - direct blood relations (parent/kid or siblings) do sometimes bond much more closely. But far from always.
                                              Last edited by Janik; 05-12-2022, 23:16.

Comment

Well done SB, not easy I'm sure, but for the greater good.

Comment

That sucks San Bernardhinault. Though I did tell you all about my friends who were on My Cat from Hell, didn't I?

S3,e1. I can't find video links, but it was Pepper and Olive.

for the level to get on MCFH, they had basically not slept in the same bed for 6 months before getting married because their cats (well, one cat really) was a total and utter shitbag that tormented the life of the other 24-7. All before remote work, so they left for 12 hours with the poor thing being like a new pretty kitty in the prison.
                                                  Last edited by caja-dglh; 06-12-2022, 03:43.

Comment

See, I read that and think the cat is not being a shitbag - it’s just being a cat in a non-suitable situation. It’s the humans who have messed up there and created the problem by thinking their cats needed or wanted company. That is what humans and dogs might require; cats are wired very differently.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X